The Who - Search for Lost Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by oates, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

I agree re: the potential of that video, or a video like it, synced with live concert audio from 1971 or its corresponding year. I know little about such kinds of video projects, but I would think multiple approaches to such a project, like that, could be done tastefully and creatively. But, the only reason not to buy is if it's not for sale. I guess sometimes a collector might sell a copy or edited portion of a copy, and hold the complete master.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's because Pete and Rog like inviting friends over so they can show off that uncirculated SF show ;)

getitgoin and Driver 8 like this.
  3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If I have a used car and a used car dealership offers me $400 for it, and my neighbor offers me $700 for it in a "private sale," and I sell the car to my neighbor for $700, it was worth $700.

If I have an uncirculated Who soundboard recording and I auction it on eBay and the winning bid is $5,000, it's worth $5,000.

Conversely, if I have a Beatles record that the price guides say is worth $100, and I put it on the forum marketplace for $100, and no one buys it from me, it's not worth $100.

There is no magic value that any good has: it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If the Who are willing to pay me two concert tickets for my unreleased soundboard of the Quadrophenia tour, and Who fan Bob in Chicago is willing to pay me $3,000 for it, it's worth $3,000. In your mind, Bob may have overpaid, but what you think Bob should have paid has nothing to do with what Bob is willing to pay.

Rhett likes this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In that scenario, your misinformed neighbor inflated the "worth" of the car by overpaying for it by $300. The real market value is still $400. The neighbor now has to hope some other fool "privately" overpays by 80%+ to recoup his own overpayment. No used car dealership will overpay by $300 just because there are a few private buyers who like to overpay for used cars.

Aftermath, lukpac and jsayers like this.
  5. dee

dee Senior Member

Well Pete and Roger used to openly argue about how much the Magic Bus was worth, :).

6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

We're obviously never going to agree on this point, although I would point out that my neighbor doesn't have to factor the cost of monthly rent on his used car lot, payroll for his salesmen, the cost of waiting for the car to sell while it's sitting on the used car lot at $800, etc. He just wants the car now and is willing to pay me $700 for it. Therefore, it was worth $700 to me. But if the "real market value" of the car was $400, the used lot would be idiots to pay me $400 for it, because its only use to them is to resell, and they would not be able to resell it for more than they paid me for it, at least not in your world where everything has one magic "real value."

But, back to the Who and music memorabilia, you seem to have the notion fixed in your head that there's some true value of each piece of music memorabilia that you know in your head, and, if anyone pays more than that, they're dumb or misguided or not paying the "true value" of item. I would argue the exact opposite: that whatever a particular music memorabilia item actually changes hands for in the real world represents the closest approximation of its "true value."

showtaper and dewey02 like this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks Ron!

8. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

It's all a moot point because the two people that have the Houston 1971 film (one has the master and one has a copy) are not the least bit interested in selling them - they are diehard Who fans who just enjoy collecting this sort of thing for their own personal enjoyment - money doesn't even factor in to it - they are both well off financially, anyways.

Benn Kempster likes this.
  9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Hey! :tsk:

Don't tease. I'd love to hear that one. It's on my wish list of archival releases by favorite bands.

10. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I find it hard to beleive that, given as much of a gadget freak Pete Townsend is and how much he likes recording, that he doesn't have gobs of stuff they did in the studio that wasn't up to snuff for release for various reasons but that digital technology would allow him to clean up.
    Looking for stuff from fans seems somewhat despirate. Not that I think they might not find some interesting stuff, but I can't imagine much of it being of any quality.
    Pictures and perhaps long lost videos, I can understand that, but as far as recordings go, not.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Pete spent a lot of time and care on his home demos though. Only so much he could do, imo, regarding at that time to be responsible for the band recordings in the studio as well. Progress seems meandering and inconsistent, yet there has been a decent share of new old Who first releases in the past twenty years. Ouch. 20 years! I sure hope there's a fair share more next year. A few finds from By # sessions perhaps.

12. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

So far-----except for my own modest contribution re the 1964 Abbey Road studio recordings----I have NOT read about any rarities that are NOT "live" recordings.IMO there are a lot of "live" recordings,MANY more than the "market" can swallow up especially when it comes to the years 1969-1971.
    What are TRUE "studio" rarities,that have not seen "commercial" release on record/CD/DVD??I am NOT talking Pete's demos,and NOT mix "variations".What is rumoured to be "out there in the WHO's(!!)vaults"??

I'd be pleased to read some comments on that kind of stuff!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

So basically everyone is screwing everyone else. The collectors are screwing over the fans by hoarding and not sharing, the label and/or band are screwing over the collectors by not paying them BIG BUX and screwing over the fans by not releasing it properly or in good quality or for a jacked-up price (I still say $20 for a CD, DVD or single-disc Blu-ray is just murderously overpriced; good thing nobody's beholden to the MSRP) when they DO get it from the collectors.

I'm not sure what's worse.

lukpac likes this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks for releasing that tape! That was you?

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

lukpac likes this.
  16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have had this RR tape in storage. My old friend recorded these, have these performances ever seen the light of day? Going to get my TEAC 2300 dusted off. :)

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and vinyldreams like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

Wow, that looks neat. And like fun too. Good luck with your tape!

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have this on silver discs.

http://www.thewho.net/bootlegs/cds/flyingtonewyork.html
    :cool:

Have fun with your archive adventure

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Audio could be a different, unique source you now have from your friend too.

reb likes this.
  20. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

No,I have NOT been involved in releasing this 1964 stuff in ANY way!

I have only initiated the discussion of this tape in this thread(see further above) as I have got this record where you can find it.

dee likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

Okay, was curious about that.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I picked up a bootleg CD of the Stockholm 1969 concert over the weekend. What is the story regarding this recording? How does it compare to shows from the same period? Although there were some flubs, I enjoyed it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  23. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

The point that an item may not be worth X to a record company because they can't recoup their invest does NOT mean that the item is not worth X. If others are willing to pay X the item is worth X. Whether anyone likes it or not.

24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I guess some of us are going to continue going in circles with this. What someone pays for something does not necessarily equate what that something is worth. You can overpay for a piece of real estate or art, but that doesn't mean those things are worth what you paid -- that is why there is such a concept as appraisals. You may be willing to pay $1,000,000 for a piece of land, but if it only appraises for $600,000 you aren't getting the loan. If you pay for it with cash, you still overpaid by $400,000. The tax rolls will show the land is worth well under the $1,000,000 you paid for it, and if you try to resell, the appraisal will still come in at $600,000. It isn't worth $1,000,000 simply because you were willing to pay that much for it.

Aftermath, slipkid, jhm and 2 others like this.
  25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

the value of any item is what it's worth to an individual.
    we all have a different opinion/value of music related items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.