The Who Sell Out 50 years later: song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe, but I can't hear it. Neither could a lot of other people, evidently, or Entwistle wouldn't have gone back and overdubbed his bass for the singles mix.

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

The stereo seems a bit lacking but the album mono mix has the bass grumbling along pretty loudly to my ears. So no idea why they felt the need to overdub more bass, in fact for me the overdub is far too prominent and ruins my enjoyment of the 7" mix

Benn Kempster likes this.
  3. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Sorry about that. I haven't read through the entire thread yet, am doing that now, though. Looks like we're on "Can't Reach You".

WilliamWes likes this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

"Can't Reach You", melodic, heartfelt, and Pete's voice is perfect for this type of material. I like how the angry young man full of bravado of the early interviews opened up in his songs. :)

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Can' Reach You" - another terrific song from Pete.

6. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

Pete's ability to branch out to piano and come up with something as good as "I Can't Reach You" shows just how versatile and talented he is. The piano gave Pete a new songwriting tool and expanded the Who's sound, at least on record, and blossomed into the use of synthesizers on Who's Next.

Dodoz likes this.
  7. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recorded: October 1967 at De Lane Lea Studios

"Medac", save for something else, is the final ad on the original album, written and sung by Entwistle. The first of two with full vocals by John, it tells the story of young Henry Pond, saved from being called "Old Yella" when his spots are saved by acne cream Medac. He got 'em (and his face "feels like a baby's bottom")!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Gardo, O Don Piano and Nick Dunning like this.
  8. NothingBrightAboutIt

Like all the other ads, "Medac" is fun, and in a sense is the anti-"Odorono", a story where everything works out in the end. Ir's a shame the band wasn't given enough time to add more ads to Side B, because the two (well, so far) are among the best on the album. The way "Can't Reach You" moves up a key to match this one is always great too.

The "doctors gave him creams and lotions" verse never fails to make me smile.

Gardo and turnersmemo like this.
  9. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Absolutely brilliant and another fun track. it's endless...

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Medac is classic humor from Big Bad Johnny Twinkle. If any of you haven't explored his solo albums, you're missing out. There's gold in them there hills.

11. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Very cool and so British to my ears - as the rest of the album is. Well paced. These records had dynamics!

I love the :

"The doctors gave him creams and lotions
    To try to sooth the boys emotions
    (.......slight dramatic pause, enter the dramatic backing vocals)
    But all in vain; the acne stayed
    Henry's hopes began to fade".

:D

12. NothingBrightAboutIt

And the way the music changes when he says "Medac." Almost like a state of confusion and surprise -- "Medac? Never heard of this one before!"

Gardo, turnersmemo and Dodoz like this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Exactly. "Medac? Huh?!" And then, whoopee, a triumphant build up. This little track that could be seen as a throwaway by some is "orchestrated".It COULD have been an advertisement, it's very effective.

(By the way, these official youtube links posted here can't even be played where I am.
    Since this thread has started, I posted "Tattoo", "Medac", and the full album on my Facebook :agree:).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  14. NothingBrightAboutIt

Nice, and better the reason to purchase the LP (unless you already have it, then in that case play it again)!

And as a footnote to the last of the four ads featured on the cover, I've always pictured the four being involved in each of the stories in the ads (save for Roger): Pete is the Greek Chorus narrator in "Odorono", John is the "beast of a man" in "Charles Atlas", and Keith of course is little Henry Pond.

15. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I only have the 1995 remaster and am basically dying for the Deluxe reissue now...

Which is maybe why someone posted earlier they heard "what's for tea Daltrey" instead of "daughter".Like, he has to be involved in the story.:D

16. That's some typical British understatement. :D I have the stereo CD, and the bass is inaudible in my headphones.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I like the humour of the song but I don't like "Medac" from a musical, vocal point of view.

18. NothingBrightAboutIt

Recorded: July 1967 at De Lane Lea, August 6-7 1967 at Talentmasters Studios

"Relax" is sung by Roger with Pete, and comes from the July De Lane Lea sessions. One of the more psychedelic songs on the album, with organ presumably by Al Kooper once again, it would briefly be part of the band's live set in support of the album.

jsayers and Nick Dunning like this.
  19. NothingBrightAboutIt

By this point in the album, it's already sort of lost that "Sell Out" feel, with the lack of ads in between songs. Yet, this is still a pleasant unusual trippy song, something they wouldn't do much of after. I always love hearing Roger and Pete harmonize, and this song is full of it.

Here's a live version from the following year, shortly before it was dropped:

entropyfan, Aftermath, Gardo and 2 others like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I dig Relax. It is among my favorites from the album.

21. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I've read large portions of the thread, but not all. I find the albums worth of 1967 outtakes are nearly as good as the official tracklist.

Have you discussed Glittering Girl yet ? Or any bonus tracks ?

Medac is about my least favorite ditty on the album. I say ditty because it's too short to actually be a full fledged song.

Why is Medac designated as an actual album track, but Charles Atlas & some of the others are not ? What's the difference ? I'm missing something here.

22. NothingBrightAboutIt

We'll probably cover the bonus tracks once we're done with the actual album (3 songs to go!)

23. NothingBrightAboutIt

As someone else posted, all the ads were initially part of the tracklist, before being removed likely around the same time the final track order was decided. "Atlas" is shorter than the Entwistle-penned ads that get listed, but it should be notable enough to get listed (being that it gets a mention on the cover).

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

"Relax" is my least favourite track on the album.

25. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I did not realize Al Kooper played on Who tracks! Can you link me to more information on this? When you say "once again" did I miss an earlier reference to Al in this thread?

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.