The Who Sell Out 50 years later: song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NothingBrightAboutIt, Nov 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I've had them with a fry up in the morning...yummy.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Entwistle didn’t do all the voices

3. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I haven't read anything that said otherwise, but that's definitely Entwistle doing the old man. Where did you get this info?

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Love this album. Very nice crossfades, a (funny) radio show on its own!

dee and NothingBrightAboutIt like this.
  5. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Didn’t the original poster say this? I was confused.

6. NothingBrightAboutIt

Never saw anywhere that mentioned Moon and Townshend doing voices for "Heinz" or any of the Entwistle-written commercials, but I could be wrong.

landerstnkb likes this.
  7. NothingBrightAboutIt

Here's the version of "Mary Anne" included on Odds and Sods, with Al Kooper on organ I believe:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. NothingBrightAboutIt

And here's the "Premier Drums" ad, uncut:

Dodoz likes this.
  9. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Mary Anne is a gem, a timeless Who song which is an archetype of why we love rock music.

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I always thought Entwistle did the husband and Moonie did the old man.

Which would leave Rog or Pete as the kid. Hmmmmmm.

Surprised no-ones asked about this. Pete? Rog? Either on Twitter?

11. NothingBrightAboutIt

I still think Entwistle did all of then, since his husband voice sounds exactly like his voice in the later "Charles Atlas" ad. Maybe Moon did the kid, but that's definitely John doing the old man. No one else could do a growl like that. :p

Fullbug likes this.
  12. landerstnkb

I believe that’s Pete doing the ‘Charles Atlas’ voice with John doing the ‘beast of a man’ portion.

13. oates

oates Forum Resident

I've never been 100% sure that it was Moon doing the boy (it probably was). Entwistle as the father and Townshend as the husband is correct.

14. oates

oates Forum Resident

That is correct.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

A great album. It’s so different from Tommy/who’s Next/Quadrophenia that I can’t compare them. I think that a reason for it’s low profile in the US is it sounds (to me) a bit too much of a “British” psychedelic album, if that makes sense.

qm1ceveb and Fullbug like this.
  16. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Great idea for a thread!

One of my favourite albums ... the "Sell Out" theme makes it one of the few real concepts albums.

Nothing much to add so far but "Armenia City In The Sky" is much more psychedelic in mono!

17. NothingBrightAboutIt

That makes sense then, those two voices sounded too alike.

Also, while we're talking about the voices behind the ads, it sounds like Pete and Keith (or John) shouting "Premier Drums".

landerstnkb likes this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K Forum Resident

Bought Sell Out in California on day of release. My favourite Who album and the expanded edition made it better. Actually, probably one of my top 5 albums of all time, along with Odyssey and Oracle, Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Something Else (Kinks). I remember hearing I Can See for Miles for the first time on the radio and being literally overwhelmed. I had heard that Townsend had considered it to be their best single before it was released and to finally actually hear it was great!

19. jc1027

jc1027 Forum Resident

This was the 2nd record that I ever bought, first being Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy. Picked it up in the cut out bin of a drug store while vacationing in Florida in the winter of '75. Really thought it was a great LP as a 8 year old and still love it!!
    It made a huge impression on me and it's still the only copy that I own. Yep, kept it in great shape!!
    I've been eyeing up the current reissue with the psychedelic poster inside sticker, but have'nt picked it up yet.

riknbkr330, dee, Dodoz and 1 other person like this.
  20. landerstnkb

That’s Keith and John doing the ‘Premier Drums’ vocals.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

If the husband is not Townshend, then I'll learn something new!

About the first voice, i always thought it was a woman - one of their girlfriends or wives dropping by...:)

Pete's speaking voice is always recognizable, his accent and tone. I can't believe some people would doubt it when it's Pete. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Gardo likes this.
  22. oates

oates Forum Resident

When I first heard this I was struck how similar it sounded to Hawkwind's "Silver Machine" - boogie-ing guitar chords in the background, atmospheric sound effects and with the vocal key shifting upwards as the song progresses. Five years ahead of Hawkwind as well.

marmalade166 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

It's certainly an awesome soundscape that Pete designed for the tune. Does anyone know the story behind it's inclusion, especially as there was so much more self-written material available

24. NothingBrightAboutIt

I figure we've covered "Mary Anne" enough to move onto the next track?

25. oates

oates Forum Resident

There must be some motive from Pete to give his mate Speedy a bit of a push - as far as I know Keen had only previously released the song "Club of Lights" by Oscar in 1966 but this failed to get anywhere. The fact is that without the personal connection, The Who would likely never have recorded "Armenia City In The Sky" because it is not strong enough a song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.