The Who "Who are you" SHM-CD is far better than the MFSL version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jlbrach, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Assuming I found the correct version, it is a mini-LP release with catalog number UICY-94779. Was this mastering released in a jewel case?

I may get this disc, as Who Are You is underrepresented in my collection. At present, I only have the Japanese P33P and 1996 U.S. remixed/remastered CDs. The Japan-for-U.S. pressing isn't rare, but I've never been able to find a nice copy in the bins.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    WhoTapes1 likes this.
  2. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

My copy says UICY-94779, but yes, it is a mini lp sleeve release.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. That was a typo on my part, as the eBay listing I had found showed the catalog number as UICY-94779. I corrected my post.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I would prefer a "priced-down" jewel case version also, but the cardboard mini LP/CD probably has a protective inner sleeve for the disc. I also need to decide if I want the mini LP/CD?

5. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Of the 4 versions that I have (original CD release, Mid-90's Remix, Mofi, and 2011 SHM CD Original Mix), the one I listen to the most is the Mofi. But drop outs/different takes/mixes, glitches aside, none of them are night and day differences. It was the first Who album I bought when they where still with Moon and its always been a fav. Yes, the songs are a major drop off in quality (Trick of the light=cringe), but I still like most of them. As far as comparing the song Who Are You to Won't Get Fooled Again, it was the last big album closer they wrote that became a universal anthem. It's a great piece of Who music. You can still find all of the CD's via Ebay.

6. Futurecity

I'm curious what you think of the audio quality on the 1996 MCA remix CD and where you might rank it with your other three CD versions?

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's lucky that other forum members do that analysis for you so you can select their cherry picks for the best sound. :p

Remy and eelkiller like this.
  8. Yep! Thanks guys. :)

eelkiller likes this.
  9. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

It's the loudest of the versions I have but not painfully so. It's a solid #4. I didn't find the bonus tracks to be something i needed to hear all the time. But they are interesting. The mofi sounds smoother and would be #1. the other two are a toss up.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. Futurecity

OK, thanks. I didn't realize this '96 CD was noticeably loud. I do have the 1996 Pete Townshend "Coolwalking" Best Of remix CD and the songs are noticeably thinned out and brighter, so is the Who remix CD similar?

11. What's needed isn't another redbook version on SHM-CD but a SHM-SACD sure would be welcome. :agree:

SKean likes this.
  12. Since there appears to be a good concentration of WAY knowledge here, any thoughts on where the new 24/96 hi-rez transfers fit in?

13. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

To be honest, I don't remember. Try the new Peter T best of. So-so selection but it sounds great. This post got me to listen to Sister Disco from the Original MCA Cd, The Mofi and the 2011 SHM-Cd original mix. And I like the original MCA CD best. It doesn't have the extra tracks but seems to have more range.

I would suggest you search out any posts regarding the Who from a member named LUCPAC. He's like an encyclopedia of Who information.

SKean and dee like this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

Remy, Sister Disco is a slightly different mix on the MFSL I understand your intent and fwiw have done similar listening too so I hear you. Whats nice is you arrived at one you liked best sonically. All the best...cowboys have chinese eyes ;)

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The 2011 disc is still listed on CD Japan' s web page. It might be worth a shot, I got a supposedly OOP disc from them last month that was listed the same way. (3 - 5 days)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-94779

16. eelkiller

Luke already gave his impression of the 2011 SHM on page 1 of this thread. See post 6 and read on.

From post #6

"2) The Who Are You SHM-CD generally sounds quite nice, and probably would be my favorite, but there are glitches all over the place that take it out of the game, IMO."

17. Futurecity

Yes, I do plan to pick up Townshend's new Truancy comp soon, but yeah, the track selection could have been much better. Well, most remix CDs do thin out and brighten the audio...so I would expect the Who remix CDs to sound similar, and I would think the CDs with the original mixes sound fuller and more normal.

Actually, I have that 1993 MCA Who 30th Anniversary sampler CD (the one featuing selections from the first Tommy remaster and a few other choice Who tracks) and listened to the song Who Are You today from the sampler, and discovered that it sounds super on that CD....uncompressed, yet the tone is excellent as well...so I can undertand why some people here would prefer the earlier non-remastered Who Are You CDs.

Remy likes this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Good question, and one I don't have an answer or opinion on. The MFSL gold CD isn't Mobile Fidelity's best and the SHM-CD uses the reviled 1996 mixes, IIRC.

I should just pull both out and listen to 'em but I just played the recent vinyl reissue UMe put out (and which I recommend for those who might be interested).

19. dee

dee Senior Member

The shm is the original mix though.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Right, the SHM most people talk about is the 2011, which is indeed the original mix.

I haven't heard the vinyl, but I would assume it has most or all of the same issues that the SHM CD has, which to me puts it out of the running.

I think the MFSL CD actually sounds like nice, but it is comprised of alternate mixes (albeit alternate mixes that are generally quite similar to the original mixes).

21. Futurecity

The current priced down 2013 SHM reissue in a jewel case uses the 1996 remix, but the 2011 SHM in a cardboard sleeve contains the original mix.

dee likes this.
  22. Futurecity

Are you suggesting the WHO ARE YOU 1996 remix sounds terrible? Would any of the other remixes sound better though, like FACE DANCES perhaps?

23. eelkiller

It does not sound terrible, just slightly different. I have the Japan Polydor, Mofi Gold and the 2011 Mini LP for digital versions, I am all set for Who Are You. :)

rstamberg likes this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The remix sounds fine, but lots of people strongly dislike it because there are noticeable differences between it and the original mix.

But for some reason the Quadrophenia remix remains quite popular, despite the fact that it's even more different from the original mix of that album.

eelkiller and rstamberg like this.
  25. dee

dee Senior Member

Wow. Don't know if I should be shaking my head in disbelief and confusion or ignorance or interest or all the above and more. This 2013shm is a remaster of the 96 remix? First I heard of it. Other than the original MG Deluxe release per se, I was unaware of any of the proper album catalogue remix program as getting remastered. Course MG album was a first mix technically but still later got remastered. Well, there was the Quad supee box too now that I think of as a remastered remix too. I guess Leeds as well? Whiffed on this WAY though Am now curious.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.