The Who, Who's Next VINYL, my pet theory

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sungshinla, Jan 30, 2007.

1. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict Thread Starter

Wow, now that is also very interesting.

All of the similar copies that I have seen or others here have been kind of enough to PM me about had the "x" on Side 2, not Side 1. Would you please confirm that the "x" is on Side 1 on your copy? If so, that is definitely new information.

I was thinking that perhaps the "x" stood for either "export" (which I do not think is the case), "remaster/remix" (which may be the case, since my copy with the "x" on Side 2 has more echo/reverb and mid-bass than my UK Track first pressing) or "cut from a dub" (which I doubt, since there is no reason to advertise that).

Please do let us know. It is very interesting if the "x" is on Side 1.

pexie likes this.
  2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have seen a small 'x' appear after a number on a lot of the deadwax of different artists LPs.

JG

3. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Mine has W1-2 on both sides. Side one has a "3" lightly handwritten in the dead wax on the side opposite the matrix #. There is also a "1" about 3 inches from the "3".
    I also have a W2, W2 x pressing. The W1-2 wins hands down. How much better would a W1 be and what is the difference between the two. Were they cut at different times days or months apart? Just curious.
    I sold my MCA heavy Vinyl last year.

pexie likes this.
  4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Since I appear to be the only one here with a W1, W1 copy how rare is it? BTW although it's refered to as a west cost pressing. I bought mine new in NY.

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

It's pretty rare (at least in good shape). I looked at a bunch before finding my W1 in LA.

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

My DECCA west coast:

Side one matrix: MG7-12888-W1-2
    Side two matrix: MG7-12889-W1

7. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Decca 1971 first pressing CANADIAN (lovely rainbow strip across the middle of the label)
    MG7-12888-W1-2 SIDE 1
    MG7-12889-W1 SIDE 2

BEST sounding copy out of Classic 200gram/phases box set/MCA repress mid 80's/remastered CD.

I just bought this the other week before seeing this post, got it for $25 Canadian in perfect condition.
    Also bought a first pressing of the stones Sticky Fingers for about the same in great condition and what is even funnier is i picked up the Canadian Rubber Soul CD ( the one with the UK flat transfer to CD) for $10.95 !!
    That was a good day.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Didn't Kevin Gray disown the heavy vinyl pressing because he was forced to add extra top end? :confused:

Evan

9. sungshinla

It is referred to as a West Coast pressing because, as far as I know, the East Coast pressings at that time had the dead wax matrix ending "E" plus a number (and all the ones that I have seen were machine-stamped). I think in the US, the very first West Coast pressings are the only ones cut from Doug Sax's lacquers cut from the original master tapes. I think the West Coast pressings were sold nationwide.

Fractured and dee like this.
  10. sungshinla

If the "MG712888-W1-2" is hand-etched,
    and if the middle of "M" is a "smile" instead of a "v",
    and if the "G" is written like a "C" with the horizontal line going outward to the right instead of going inward to the left,
    and if the "888" tends to lean/tilt to the right,
    you have a Doug Sax cut lacquer, and your Canadian copy should sound very similar to the US Decca original.

If your Canadian copy was NOT actually pressed in Canada, it was most likely pressed in the US together with the US Decca pressing. If your Canadian copy WAS pressed in Canada, there may be some differences due to differences in the vinyl formulation, pressing quality control, etc.

This is great! Thanks for sharing that info.

Fractured likes this.
  11. tps

tps Forum Resident

I believe "Who's Next" came out in 1971. As I remember, this was the Ampex 440 era. Scully was also popular back then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that early 1970's dominated by a wave of solid state electronics in tape decks? Or did the Who use what might have been considered a vintage tube deck from the 1960's to master Who's Next?

12. sungshinla

The "3" could be a "S" backwards also. You may wish to double-check.

If it is a "3", then I would guess that that stands for either the mother number or stamper number (I would guess the latter, if the "2" after "W1-" stands for the mother number).

The reason why I suspect that the "3" may be a backwards "S" is the fact that you also have a "1" nearby. Many US pressings on Warner, Capitol, etc. labels had the stamper number of "1S" "2S" etc. lightly hand-etched on the dead wax during this era. It is just a guess.

13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Bilbo is not "bad" by any sense of imagination. I would say Bilbo is about 90% ~95% of the best pressings that has been mention here.

14. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

15. alanb

alanb Senior Member

If the "MG712888-W1-2" is hand-etched,--IT IS
    and if the middle of "M" is a "smile" instead of a "v",--IT IS
    and if the "G" is written like a "C" with the horizontal line going outward to the right instead of going inward to the left,--IT DOES
    and if the "888" tends to lean/tilt to the right,--IT DOES
    you have a Doug Sax cut lacquer, and your Canadian copy should sound very similar to the US Decca original.

If your Canadian copy was NOT actually pressed in Canada, it was most likely pressed in the US together with the US Decca pressing. If your Canadian copy WAS pressed in Canada, there may be some differences due to differences in the vinyl formulation, pressing quality control, etc.
    IT SAYS- Made in Canada by MCA records(Canada)for Decca records.

16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Here's the thread where I posted about my find:

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=85230

And here's the deadwax info from my copy:

Side 1: machine pressed: 2408102 A 1
    Side 2: machine pressed: 2408102 B 1

Was this LP cut in the US? Pressed in the US? Ben's reference guide suggests the parts were cut in the US, but if so, who did the mastering and why is the matrix info in this form?

17. Mike in Houston

Mike in Houston Formerly 118mw123

I have confirmed it. yes there is definitely an X on side 1. Now what does it mean??

18. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I just listened to my UK Track A1 //B2 and my -W1 and all I want to know is what the heck happened to Side 2? Side 1 the drums, guitar everything is perfect, in place with a sound that just totally envelops you, then Side 2 and it is very bland compared to Side 1, what the heck happened

19. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

Was that true for both the UK and the US?

20. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Yes both, and they both sound very similar, comparing the frequency analysis they are pretty spot on

21. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

On the triple LP version of Who's next it shows the original tape boxes, the handwriting shows MG 12888 and MG 12889 on one the 'M' is a 'smile', on the other the 'M' is a 'v'. Relevant?????

JG

dee likes this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I just looked at a copy that had the scribed W-1 on one side, and the stamped E 3 on the other. Bummer. Maybe it was shipped east for the other side to be stamped? :)D )

dee likes this.
  23. sungshinla

Your copy should sound fantastic.

Those in Canada should track this down.

24. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

25. sungshinla

I would think that everything depends upon the FONT of the machine-stamped matrices. If it is small (typical of the UK Track or Polydor pressings of the day), then I would assume the vinyl was physically pressed in the UK. If its more typical of the US Decca East Coast pressing, then I would assume the vinyl was physically pressed in the US (made to be an export to the UK).

The "2408102" was UK Track's cat. no., and not the US Decca's.

I am puzzled, however, why your copy does not have the hand-etched "MG 12888" on Side 1, which would indicate that your copy was pressed from a Doug Sax lacquer.