The Who -- Your Current Favorite Digital Versions of their Discography

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoregnr, Feb 18, 2018.

1. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

My favorite Who's Next is the HDTracks release. I heard the SHM-SACD but it really didn't impress me. Something didn't feel engaging. Steve's disc is pretty great too.

The best Live at Leeds imo is still the 1995 disc. The HDTracks release of the whole concert is definitely miles above the horrible 2001 CD, but it sounds really hard and compressed. The 95 CD sounds a bit more relaxed. I've also heard the bootleg Live at Leeds CD but it's been a very long time on a very different system.

The Who Sell Out HDTracks is just dreadful. It sounded like my tweeters were replaced with icepicks driving straight into my skull. Maybe that's what the tape sounds like. My needledrop sounds a lot better.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The 1995 cd Live At Leeds was a gift from above and dirt cheap.

tmtomh, Tommyboy, dlokazip and 3 others like this.
  3. moops

moops Senior Member

I'm a bit of a fan of these as well ....... Did you get the Tommy from the same series UICY-76521 ?

sound chaser likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The HD download of Who’s Next is rolled off compared to the SACD for some reason. I definitely prefer the SACD.

I can’t say the HD download of Leeds sounds hard and compressed to me. And it doesn’t have the overdubs of the 1995 nor as many added effects.

5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Unfortunately not, the only other title I got from the series was "Who's Next".

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

BluRay discs of Tommy and Quadrophenia are both tops imo.

djoseph56 and Steel Horse like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Anyone like the MFSL The Who CD's?

azideam, kozy814 and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes Quad is rather special, nicer, more transparency than the regular release on CD. Thunderous and powerful, like real master tapes are supposed to sound.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes I like the MFSL Quadrophenia, Who Are You and Tommy. I also have a couple of others Live at Leeds and Who's Next but I think they are later MFSL releases (all on cd ). I also have a gold (?) MCA Who's Next on cd. Will check more thoroughly when at home. I go to the well a lot when it comes to the Who and it is hard to keep up sometimes. They are a must keep band for me so I never get rid of any thing.

10. Flaming Torch

I have an old Meaty Beaty cd but I have no idea if SH was involved. I take it there is more than one cd mastering of this album? I also have a very fine looking mini sleeve from Japan.

11. moops

moops Senior Member

Here's a handful of mint/new/sealed copies for sale if you're still looking for one. Prices are pretty good considering it's an out of print mini-lp ......

Buy The Who - Tommy (CD) at Discogs Marketplace

sound chaser likes this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think the MFSL Quad sounds fine, but I always thought it was almost indistinguishable from the stock release.

Just one mastering on MCA. The only other version is that Japanese CD, which mimics the LP.

Timjosephuk and Flaming Torch like this.
  13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I get this ...

... but I also get this. The SACD definitely sounds better with my Pioneer Elite doing the converting than on my Sony BD player, but I can't play the HDTracks on the Pioneer so, if A/B'ing on the Sony, HDTracks is more engaging--if not better--to me, too. -E

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It’s not a format difference, it’s a mastering difference.

I’m wondering what you find more “engaging”, as the HD download is basically just rolled off a bit.

15. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I know, I was just making the point that I think the Pioneer does a better job of translating the sacd so I'm better able to appreciate its charms when played back on that device. I think the 24/96 version is a bit more compressed, and with attenuated highs the upper mids may be more pronounced. Although that does not sound like a recipe for music I would prefer, it may be that combo seems more exciting and present than the sacd did on the Sony player. -E

Quincy likes this.
  16. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

What's everybody's choice for the original mix of Quadrophenia, but on CD? Not just digital.

DeafDumbAndBlindKid likes this.
  17. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I think most Who fans would point you at the aforementioned Quadrophenia on MFSL.

But I also agree that the regular releases were fine. I like some of the later day remasters. When I play the original version I do go to the MFSL.

18. Flaming Torch

Any one remember the 1996 Quadrophenia which was a remix in 1996 and is there any truth that the MCA version is slightly different to the Polydor?

19. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Yep - remember it well and played it CONSTANTLY at Uni. in Brighton in the lead-up to the Hyde Park show. Other than it not being the original mix (but to my ears the best available re-mix) it's clear and breathes. Not sure about any differences to the MCA.

Shak Cohen, J_D__ and Flaming Torch like this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Digitally identical.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Lucky to own a PDO Who's Next with a smooth edged jewel case. It sounds divine. Have owned the 1995 remasters for a time and have since downgraded; I do not miss them.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That disc has lots of tape hiss and fade-ups on several songs.

23. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Perhaps I've gotten used to discs with background noise and things like that. Which is the better sounding version, generally speaking?

24. Flaming Torch

Somewhere upstairs I think I have an old Canadian MCA Who's Next cd which I bought second hand in the belief that SH was involved. I will check the disc one day. Re Quadrophenia I like the remix but am just as happy to listen to the original mix on cd, blu-ray or sacd. I love the album which I tend to think always sounded a bit murky compared to Who's Next or By Numbers.

originalsnuffy likes this.
  25. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Torch, odds are good that your Who’s Next is in fact a Steve mix.

Quadrophenia is a work of greatness. I play that, Leeds, Who’s Next, and various singles compilations the most for The Who.

Flaming Torch likes this.