The Who's last show?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Yeah.... I get that ... I wouldn't miss "My Generation" at all if I ever got to see The Two again and they skipped it ...

This whole thing could've been operating on a whole 'nother level if they'd been willing to do the Pearl Jam approach of doing different shows with about 50% overlap from night to night, and to not regard any song as so sacred that has to be played every time ... That is, take some chances .... That kind of wild-card factor would make all the songs take on new perspectives when their context is always changing ... And many fans would do repeat business because of it ....
    I mean, the Grateful Dead/Phish approach would be the ultimate, huge repertoire and no repeating in consecutive shows ... and The Who have that huge catalog ... but the PJ method is a great step in the right direction ... and they know each other very well, Who and PJ, so too bad something didn't rub off ...

"My Generation" could be really exciting again if it only came up every third show and in unpredictable spots .... (and revved back up à la Live At Leeds !)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    ajsmith, footlooseman and Spadeygrove like this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Cleveland which got Sheraton Gibson.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Nor can I but a lot of people do 'bucket lists' and like the idea of being the presence of living, breathing legends.

Svetonio likes this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Forest Hills, NY added to Roger Daltrey's Tommy shows! - The Who

Legendary frontman Roger Daltrey and The New York Pops unite for a special, one-night-only, Father’s Day performance of The Who’s TOMMY, backed by the symphony orchestra and members of The Who band.

The Who, The Who Band- where splitting grey hairs here !

;)-:D-:p

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

which ones, specifically ?

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  6. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

That was a GREAT show. I never saw them with Keith or Kenny Jones even. I'm not going to claim I saw The "real" Who. But, out of several shows I have seen post-Keith and post-Kenny, that 2000 tour was really something and Cleveland in particular was fantastic.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Right.

Endless Wire (The Who album) - Wikipedia

Endless Wire has 19 tracks.... Some research tells me that 10 of those tracks got played over 60 times each ... and a few more made rare appearances over various situations, some Pete-solo ... The album-opening-track "Fragments" was performed over 100 times ... "Tea And Theatre" tops the list at almost 150 ...
    I really wish some of that material would stick-around, at least one per show ....
    I like to think that if Zak was all over EW that it's fate would have played out more successfully.... deep-WHO fans should investigate.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Even Zak’s presence would not have changed the acoustic and subdued arrangements. Aside from a few heavier tracks, it wasn’t a rock album.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  9. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Yes, I see that ...
    I'm just thinking that the album should have had more of a consistent band vibe, what some call The Who 2 --the stable lineup that existed from after Entwistle's death in 2002 up to Rabbit's last gig in Jan. '11 ...... Instead it really is more a glorified Pete album (surprise) ...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Bonddm and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

This was a Pete solo album with Roger singing. A Who album with a drum machine? No freaking way! Though I will admit Tea & Theatre did come alive on stage.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The core Whorchestra .

credit @footlooseman

Billy_Sunday, dee and footlooseman like this.
  12. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

14. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Personally I don’t consider their day of filming at Shepperton Studios in 1978 with an invited audience of approximately 300 people to be a an actual Who concert, but more of a staged filming event. I pretty much consider Kilburn 1977 to be the same thing.

keifspoon and soniclovenoize like this.
  15. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

It is Zak starkey on drums, John Button on bass, Simon Townshend on guitar and vocals. Im sorry but there is another guitarist as well, which I cant recall the name. And a keyboard player also from the last Who tour.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

Frankie Simes.
    Fine guitarist in the RDB and musician in the Who touring band.

tdavis0903 and vitorbastos123 like this.
  17. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

hmmm, probably Frank Simes on guitar ? and Loren Gold on keys ? .... and Button. and a Townshend . and Zak !
    If that's it, the line really is blurred .... cuz Pete is the only one missing...

Does Simon take more of the lead-guitarist role in this lineup ? Simes has been both Who-keyboardist and Daltrey-guitarist...

There really are a lot of WHO "alumnus" now....

whodanny and vitorbastos123 like this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Considering the amount of Blu ray’s they release, why haven’t Eagle done the 2000 ‘Live At The Albert Hall’? Be a good opportunity to reinstate ‘Getting In Tune’ and ‘Mary Anne’ to the running order, or at least have them as bonus tracks.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Scott Devours is the drummer.

Frank Simes plays lead guitar.

Line-Up

Daltrey
    Simon Townshend
    Simes
    Devours
    Button
    Gold

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

FWIW, I consider Kilburn the final concert with Keith Moon.

Who II - Kenney Jones- I acknowledge Live Aid as the final show.

Who III- Zak Starkey- Feb. 8 2002- last concert with John Entwistle.

21. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

I think the difference is that, with the RDB the songs tend to be done a little more like the original recordings, plus a few from Rogers solo catalogue. When I saw him do Tommy in 2011 it was very like a live representation of the album as opposed to The Who's looser approach. The Who now do stick closer to the original arrangements of songs, but there's always that Pete looseness and the fact that, just maybe, he doesn't know the material that well.

22. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont call them The Who anymore.

They're either known as Who's Left

or more conveniently

The Two

WhoTapes1 and Fullbug like this.
  23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

What about the lineup with Simon Phillips in 1989?

24. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Why? Really? They have earned the right to call themselves whatever they want. I'm lucky enough to have seen the Moon days, the shows with Entwistle before he died and the various line ups since Johns death. The most important thing for me is that the music is still out there being played live IN THE SPIRIT of The Who. And most importantly, it's played by the guy who wrote most of the songs, and the guy who sang most of the songs. Yes, I wish John and Keith were still here, but I reckon there would still be additional musicians, the way the band perform the songs would be closer to the original arrangements. If the technology had been available in '73 Pete would have embraced it with both arms and The Who would have performed Quadrophenia as close as possiible to the album. That's what they now do with songs from their entire catalog. It's still a great show. And it is still The Who.

davers, Carserguev and GoodKitty like this.
  25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I didn't mention the 1989 tour because IMO there were too many musicians involved for me to consider that lineup The Who.

J_D__ and dee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.