The Who's last show?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Yeah, but Reb, lots of bands have gone out with expanded line ups , or additional musicians. Metallica played with an orchestra (I think), Deep purple certainly did, numerous bands and artists have gone out and played with "big bands" or Orchestras. I don't like the '89 tour recordings much. I don't like the sound of the band, I don't like Steve Bolton's guitar playing on it, BUT, it was another phase in the Who story. I never saw the 96/97 Quadrophenia tour, but lots of people seemed to enjoy that and I've enjoyed the recordings I've heard. There were lots of additional musicians in that line up. Another "phase" in the Who story. The Who is an evolving entity for me. As long as Roger and Pete want to keep the music out there I'm in.

PS, see you when the Who community forum re-opens, if it ever does. What's going on?.

dee likes this.
  2. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

If they had released the Kilburn ‘77 dvd without all of the edits (listen to the ‘Exploding Drummer’ bootleg cd for what really went on) and without them inserting the audience footage in from a Manchester 1973 live Who film (they did that for a reason!), you might not think of Kilburn as an actual Who concert after all.

3. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

its a joke.

the same joke that befalls all other bands WHO carry on after members die. How many people got their knickers in a twist when Freddie died and Brian and Roger have the nerve to still call it Queen? Thats different because Freddie is Freddie and Entwhistle was only the bass player? I, for one, do NOT see the difference. Kiss without Frehley is still Kiss but a bunch of fans hate that. And they dont call them TWO oyster cult for nothin.

Legally, whoever owns the name, can see fit to use it however they wish and I have no power, nor need, to try and dissuade them.

But I can make jokes all I want.

4. njstrummer

njstrummer Forum Resident

Affectionately known as "The Who on Ice!"

Larce likes this.
  5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Somehow I'd not heard that one .... funny.

davers likes this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Wow, interesting .... I want that bootleg !

7. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I had a weird hunch they did something like that with the audience footage.

How, exactly, did you find that out?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Little known fact about Simon Phillips : he did a one-off charity gig with The Who -- a five-man Who -- in June 2000, three weeks before the summer tour with Zak started .... I don't know if audio/video exists, I've searched and would greatly like to hear it (anybody know about that?) ....Simon is awesome. I saw five of those 1989 "big-band" shows.

The Who live in New York, NY, Tue, 06 June 2000

ajsmith and O Don Piano like this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

How do we find out more about this?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

It’s been common knowledge about the Manchester ‘73 audience footage among Who fans practically ever since the release. If I’m not mistaken, you can even see a sign hanging in the background saying “Bell Vue”, which is where the two Manchester ‘73 shows took place. You can see footage from the two shows in the Quadrophenia documentary that came out about 5 years ago.

Spadeygrove and keifspoon like this.
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

and as coda footnotes ....

2-8-88 The Who reformed with Kenney Jones (and Rabbit) for the British Phonographic Industry awards ceremony, 3 songs.
    The Who live in London, Mon, 08 February 1988

6-14-14 Pete and Roger reunite with Kenney Jones for a set at his polo club, a cancer benefit. (Dave Bronze on bass, and some other helpers.)
    The Who live in Ewhurst, Sat, 14 June 2014

The Who 1985 and 1988 reunions - Wikipedia

12. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Thanks Reb!

reb likes this.
  13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Admittedly, I've watched the film no more than 2 or 3 times. Never paid much attention to the audience shots and I havn't heard the raw audio. I love the performance as presented, what can I tell ya- I consider Kilburn the original band's last stand -:)

Promo trailer

14. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I knew something was up when I saw all those long-hairs in the audience and it was late 1977. And then the size of it was a dead giveaway.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  15. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Frank Simes is terrific on guitar. I have seen Roger's solo band several times and especially for the Tommy tour where Frank played a Gibson SG throughout Tommy which gave it a vintage sound. I love live Tommy in any Who or related setting, but the SG sound is the most closely connected. The guitar player played one for the Tony Award winning stage show I saw on it's national tour.

I would smash my 1970 Les Paul Deluxe gold top if it would result in no more discussions about what is/is not or when The Who ended. The most tiresome debate on SHF! Trolls go somewhere else please.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  16. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amen to that!

17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

That's interesting. I've never heard the boot. Without the edits was the show a train wreck? As much as I love Jeff Stein's "The Kids are Alright," it annoys me that the final performance of "Won't Get Fooled Again" from Shepperton is often shown on TV as some sort of crowning effort by the band. I've seen many people on this forum refer to it as a fabulous performance. In truth, it's a ghastly performance: Keith can barely drum, and Pete is so pissed that Stein made him do a second take of the song for the film that he makes a complete ass of himself by parodying all of his signature moves.

Dog Ear and WhoTapes1 like this.
  18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Whilst Pete and Roger still have their health and the band can be used as a vehicle to raise awareness for the TCT, Pete will support Roger in allowing the brand to be used for - at the very least - fund raising shows.

dee and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  19. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I think Pete was hamming for the cameras, and maybe annoyed to do a second take, but that take is pure gold! Yes, Pete nearly parodied himself, but that's as fine a moment on camera as The Who ever had. And the glorious noise -- John's not slipping one bit in that take and Moon's fine enough. Moon's concentrating hard to get it done as he had to with the click track and tape. Except for a few funny faces and stick twirls, he's not all over the place or clowning. Pete's guitar is always on the edge of just blowing the take, because he's acting so amped up, but he settles into a groove with only a few skips, like a record needle bouncing off a few scratches. Roger sounds great, very strong in his voice. They sound like some great winged beast or machine struggling and finally taking flight, the whole number in doubt until the very end. That performance of that song, even with the stage leap edited in from the previous take, is as good as anything on "Live At Leeds." Just listen to how great it is, and the visual matches its greatness. That's "The 'Orrible 'Oo" caught for posterity and I love it.

Billy_Sunday and dee like this.
  20. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

As you say, The Who have NOT ended and I definitely defend their right to still use the name. Why shouldn't they?
    They may not be the same as they were, but then again, a lot of surviving bands with all of their members aren't either.

I am one of those who will not watch them live with Pino on bass, as I think he is the wrong man for The Who.
    I miss John Entwistle far too much to put myself through that ordeal. I respect the rights of others to love it.
    I would buy any new Who records, however, as long as they were not dire claptrap like Endless Wire - which is the most disappointing "Who" record ever made (IMHO).

Detroit Music Fan and Bonddm like this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I don't see any reason to believe Townshend dying would stop Daltry from touring as The Who. Actually I'd say Townshend being alive is the only thing that stops Daltry from touring as The Who.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The relaunching appears to be imminent:

Forums - The Who Community Board

whodanny likes this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I was unaware of this one off show, I'll look into it.....

June 2000

[​IMG]
    On the 6th, The Who perform at a private function at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York to benefit The Robin Hood Foundation that combats poverty in that city. Since Zak Starkey is unavailable to drum, Simon Phillips from the 1989 tour sits in. Prices for a table range from $20,000 to $100,000. Robin Williams is the M.C.

On the 7th CNN's Showbiz Today carries a sound clip from Pete in which he says of the upcoming tour, "Yeah, it's for nostalgia, part of it is for nostalgia."

The Who This Month! 2000

We have covered both topics here on this forum, thank you for posting.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Billy_Sunday likes this.
  24. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever regarded "Endless Wire" as their worst. I vacillate between "It's Hard" and "Face Dances."

What I really think though is Pete was putting out too much in the early '80s without editing. Even leaving out "Empty Glass," Pete or The Who would have made a fantastic album if Pete had taken a little more time and the band managed to record the best songs off "Face Dances," "It's Hard" and "All the Best Cowboys." If you consider Pete's schedule and output between '79 and '83, it's bonkers. Tangentially involved in 2 movies, 2 solo albums, 2 Who albums and major tours (plural, always a European and an American, except '82) EVERY year from '79 through '82. And he managed to develop a coke and sometimes heroin habit during that time period and he also got through rehab successfully during the same time. It's really borderline manic. It's no wonder only "Empty Glass" is the best of the LPs. A little less work would've probably brought a better album or two.

Billy_Sunday, Dog Ear and Bonddm like this.
  25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Even accounting for the Entwistle tracks, It's Hard has a lot of songs for a late-period Who record. Pete cranked out all of that in tandem with Cowboys. Unreal.

I know I'm not in the majority when I say I like It's Hard. But I wonder if a little editing on that album alone might have improved its reputation. Side 2 goes on a bit, and a few tracks might have been better served as a standalone b-sides.

tdavis0903 and Detroit Music Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.