The Who's last show?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I don't think you could've trimmed Its Hard so much. It's only about 45 minutes, 23 per side. You could cut a track or two, but it would get skimpy, no?

Obviously these are my favorite tracks from that time period, but imagine a Who album recorded in a set or two of sessions with 1 producer for a cohesive sound and with just these tracks (obviously my favorites from this period):

You Better You Bet; The Quite One; Another Tricky Day; It's In You; how about a "Do It Alone" closer to the '79 live jam; Athena; Eminence Front; One At A Time; Cry If You Want; Stardom In Action; Somebody Saved Me; Slit Skirts; and "Dance It Away," again maybe a little closer to the '79 live jam. That list could probably still stand to lose a few tunes, too. That would've been a real solid LP. Ah well -- what could have been.

By the way, thanks for the correction. I was thinking "All The Best Cowboys" was 1983, and of course you are right, it's '82. Also, I checked and in '81 there was only an extensive UK tour, but that's still a lot of work. So all that activity for Pete and the band was in less than 4 years. That's crazy. No wonder Pete was clamoring for Who's last, which I don't think we've seen the complete last of 'em yet.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    dee and overdrivethree like this.
  2. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Thanks Reb, been away from online access all weekend (in the mountains), only just seen this.

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

...and now I've got that bootleg :)

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There was no U.S. tour in 1981, either. Those plans fell through

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Speaking of Kilburn, I listened to the DVD audio yesterday and was reminded that Kilburn is truly a terrible Who concert. It had that status for years and on some level, its less-than-favorable reputation was unfairly influenced by decades of rhetoric, but upon actual, objective examination of the concert, it really comes across as a shambolic gig. They were under-rehearsed and intoxicated. No wonder it was shelved by Stein and locked away in the vaults for 30 years. I am still amazed that Townshend and Daltrey allowed it to be released as a stand-alone DVD! Daltrey allegedly refuses to approve the release of Woodstock, but then allows perhaps the worst Who gig of all time to be released? Entwistle's retooling of "My Wife" for the TKAA soundtrack is acceptable and the only other redeeming recording is the embryonic version of "Who Are You," which should have been issued as a bonus track on the 1996 expanded "Who Are You" reissue.

footlooseman and WhoTapes1 like this.
  6. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Really ? and why would that be ?

Is that a vocal overdub ? and how did that become known ?

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

They need to tour for the 60th Anniversary of My Generation.

8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Another opinion on Kilburn '77. That show is the essence of The Who for me. An angry Pete Townshend is a force of nature, and he plays his ass off for most of it. I wouldn't be without it as a visual document of pure mayhem. :love:

peteham and Carserguev like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

My understanding is that he hated Woodstock and did not think the band performed well under the circumstances. I am not convinced he has actually reviewed the performance decades removed, rather, the experience left a negative impression on him, and as such, he is not in support of releasing the band's concert. There could be more to it.

10. BRush

BRush Senior Member

All of the Woodstock footage of The Who has been released. Director Michael Wadleigh was instructed not to film their set, which he obliged at first. He started filming midway thru starting at “Sparks”. The band used some footage in The Kids are Alright. The Woodstock movie helped break the band in the US.

Billy_Sunday, WhoTapes1 and dee like this.
  11. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Old Roger is crazy. He should watch the Summertime Blues performance 7 times in a row like I did once.

12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

All the film footage has been released ? and it only begins midway through "Sparks" ? Instructed not to film by whom ? please elaborate, if you would, thanks.
    Then there is the matter of the recorded audio, which I believe is the complete set. And since it has not ever been released in it's totality, well, next year's 50th anniversary is likely to change that ? (if Daltrey can approve it ??)

The Who live in Bethel, NY, Sun, 17 August 1969

Yes, the Woodstock film, and album, became a big piece of creating their legend ... for the multitudes who never witnessed them in person ....

13. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

If you watch TKAA movie with Jeff Stein’s commentary cut on, Stein comments about some of this when it starts showing the Woodstock footage. Apparently there wasn’t a whole lot of color film available for filming Woodstock because it was so expensive and they were having to conserve it, filming on pieces of most acts, hoping to have enough to film Hendrix’s entire set at the end.

reb likes this.
  14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No, the album “Tommy” broke the band in the US

16. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Thanks.....

gosh.... that is so tragic ... rationing precious color-film ..........
    the total opposite of our modern predicament -- camera-people overkill .

So to be clear... the Woodstock WHO film that exists - and has all been released - is :
    Sparks, Pinball Wizard, We're Not Gonna Take It>See Me Feel Me>Listening To You, Summertime Blues, My Generation> "So Long"

Did I miss something ?

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That’s exactly it for the color footage that has been released to date.

GoodKitty likes this.
  18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Indeed ..... they are sitting on that one.

The Who live in London, Fri, 08 February 2002
    (it says "Pete fell off the stage during 'Young Man Blues'.)

Complete audience recording exists from the night before, Feb. 7, 2002 ... John's penultimate gig.
    I've never found the final one though ....

Bonddm likes this.
  19. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

"last footage of John Entwistle".......?
    interesting to note that Simon was 'rejoining' The Who for this fateful 2002 tour as the 'sixth man', having last been in the band on the 1996/97 Quadrophenia tours... Entwistle's last years of shows were in a 5-man Who ....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

If there are technical issues with some tracks, they could always use the versions from the night before.
    My memory is that the setlists were identical.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

Simon is a capable singer and guitarist in his own right but I imagine since John's voice was really shot that Simon's 1st job may have been to sing backing vocals but also add a little more guitar to the sound of the band. Also, Zak needed a playmate closer to his own age :);) - playing with the main old geezers may have gotten old ;) :) after 3 years worth of tours :)

GoodKitty likes this.
  22. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

so Roger Daltrey just turned 74 on March 1 .... (think of this -- the halfway point of his life was now in March 1981)

He just did a few shows with his band, the one that looks a lot like "The Who" ... there's a Townshend there .... just no Pete and Zak.
    Looking at his last setlist compared to the one from the last Who show, there are just 5 songs in common : Pinball Wizard, Who Are You, I Can See For Miles, Behind Blue Eyes and Baba O'Riley.

Roger Daltrey live in Stockton, CA, Tue, 13 March 2018

23. Henry Spencer

Henry Spencer Forum Resident

Last show proud to say from my hometown October 21, 1976

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I agree but, I do think they captured the live sound of the band. You can crack it:)

25. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

.... and today, May 19, is Pete Townshend's 73rd birthday :cheers:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.