The Wire - what am I missing?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Linto, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's a lousy show. I watched about 4 episodes and realzed it wasnt going to get any better. They cant decide if they want their character to be realistic or loveable and the rough edge stuff always sounds off key when they try to use, it as a result. Ron Perlman is okay (hes always been just okay) but Katey Sagal isnt a great dramatic actress and rings pretty false in her lady mcBeth role.

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

The guy who did The Shield made a really gritty movie called NARC which was magnificent if you like gritty, uncomfortable cop drama. I do and I loved NARC!

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Adding it to my list, thanks for the rec.

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks! I will research that....would like to see it if it has a Shield connection.

I may have already seen it, can't recall for sure. I dig cop drama type movies, when they're done well.

Hmmm..... Reading about it on IMDB I'm not sure what The Shield connection is. The Shield was Shawn Ryan's baby (creator, head writer, overall ship-steerer). Narc is written/directed by Joe Carnahan. Did he direct some Shield episodes perhaps?? I don't see that in his bio though (?).

5. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I've been following treme from the start, excellent show, perhaps the best music of any TV show. I've already seen Dr. John, Donald Harrison and so many other great musicians. I discovered Lucia Micarelli on Treme, a fine violinist as well as actress.

6. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

If you like The Wire, be sure to check out the HBO miniseries Generation Kill, David Simon's adaptation of a book by Evan Wright about his experience as a journalist embedded with the U.S. Marine Corps during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Great stuff.

7. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

In one of the last episodes of The Wire, you can spot the book Generation Kill on a desk in the Sun office.

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Your choice, but you're selling it short - it gets better as it rolls along.

A lot of the shows we're talking about here are slow-starters. I wouldn't judge Sons of Anarchy without at least giving it the same consideration as the others being discussed.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I also couldn't figure out the connection to The Shield, but just finished watching this movie and it was great! :righton:

Thanks for the suggest! :wave:

10. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

If you're referring to the 2002 film with Jason Patric and Ray Liotta, that was writer-director Joe Carnahan. I'm unaware of a Shawn Ryan film called Narc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.