The Witch (2016 horror film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bryan, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

What's this?? A new horror film that isn't all jump-scares or found footage?!? Looks intense!

When I saw the trailer I thought, "Oh cool, I bet this will be out for Halloween and it looks like a great Halloween movie!" and then was disappointed when I saw the 2016 date at the end.

Pennywise, moops and Dreadnought like this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

trying to build buzz way too early

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looks really good. Not an exploding head in sight.

zobalob likes this.
  4. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I am really stoked for this movie. They did a great job with piecing the trailer together. I really hope it is as good as I am thinking it will be

5. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

And if what I'm hearing is correct, they may have to nominate a goat for Best Supporting Actor...

GodShifter and starfieldroad like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

She's a witch?

I mean, "She's a WITCH!!"

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

This movie looks freaky as hell. I may have to check it out next week, or whenever it opens here. (I suspect I may not like it, but I'm too intrigued to avoid it. :))

Here's another thread on it, btw:

The Witch (2016 horror film) »

8. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I plan on going to see this a few hours before my next appointment with my psychiatrist. If it is a creepy as it looks that might be a good thing.

smilin ed likes this.
  9. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

Anyone know if this is planned to be on demand on amazon or something??

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Stephen King
    @StephenKing
    The Witch scared the hell out of me. And it's a real movie, tense and thought-provoking as well as visceral.

Get2Me likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is getting some pretty good reviews. I'm looking forward to this. Here's a couple I read, though be warned, they might give away more than you would want to know. If you're the type that likes to go into a movie without knowing too much, best not read these. The trailer gives you enough to know whether this is your type of movie or not.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  12. Monosterio

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I know. But this thread was started first and has a more sensible title. So I posted here. Maybe a gort can merge the posts from that thread into this.

14. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Read about it in Rue Morgue. I'm intrigued. The soundtrack for it sounds interesting too. Maybe it'll sound like Blood on Satan's Claw.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my wife just told me King was scared by this movie!

16. Michael

let us know how it is! we plan on owning the home video version...

17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

It will be released on VOD in 90 days... don't wait until then, go see this thing on a big screen (especially for Black Phillip... you'll know what I mean when you see it!!!).

coltlacey1 likes this.
  18. Monosterio

I will. :wave:

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

Cool...

20. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Almost went and saw it this morning, but noticed at the last second went to a different movie. But interested in this movie as well.

21. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

It's a very slow build, very character-driven. Except for a few scattered moments and a stunning five minute sequence, it's all about building dread. And it's beautifully shot - so much of it is by candlelight. Worked for me as being a well-done creepy movie with a few shivery moments, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I will watch it again with subtitles one day as the 1630s setting made some of the dialog tough to understand.

Mark

agentalbert and GodShifter like this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

well.... it's rated 'R'....
    that's a good sign...
    since, I assume, they did NOT use that many curse words in 'puritan Mass'!

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It looks like one of the first horror movies I've wanted to see in a long, long time. The way you describe it sounds perfect in terms of what I like.

24. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Absolutely unbelievable. Dripping with Bergman (highest compliment imaginable) and, although I'm not one to ever point to strict historical accuracy as a must in film, the authenticity is overwhelming, infinitely amplifying the claustrophobia.

Watching it in a packed theater was quite interesting. Judging by the audible "Oh's" throughout, the majority of the (older) audience clearly had the wrong idea heading into the movie. By the fifteen-minute mark, it's plain as day that Eggers is all in with this one, and "all in" might be a bit much for those expecting a run-of-the-mill, jump-scare ridden slice of entertainment. In fact, based on what transpires in the opening sequences, I can imagine some walking out of the theater. The horror elements are there, but they're challenging, and rather ballsy, to say the least. Arthouse horror is the best way to describe The Witch, and it bears the label greater than any film since The Shining.

25. Monosterio

Yes, I think I've read about what happens in the first 15-20 minutes that might make people walk our.

I can't wait. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.