The Wizard of Oz 3D Blu-ray 75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tribby2001, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

I can assure you that my outrage is totally genuine, and I have no curiosity at all about a 3D Oz. This strikes me as both a cynical cash-grab and a desecration of the work of the original filmmakers. I also have no desire to watch a colorized version of Psycho, listen to Louis Armstrong's Hot 5 recordings in reprocessed stereo, or watch a hologram of Tupac Shakur caper around the stage.

In the words of Citizen Kane's Jed Leland, "what an unpleasant old man I have become....":)

2. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I get what you're saying, but I think think outrage should be reserved for when something is tampered with permanently, and the original becomes unavailable....like the original Star Wars films seem to have been. No colorized film has become the definitive version, and the same applies here...

lbangs and lukejosephchung like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought the 3D "Top Gun" made sense - all those flying sequences theoretically would've looked cool in 3D...

4. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I would think so. I watched "Red Tails" in 3D on my Panasonic plasma with the 3D being created on the fly by the TV from the 2D HD cable feed, and man were those battle sequences awesome in 3D.

Derek

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Maybe they could just extrapolate what "should" be on the sides and fill it in with CGI. Isn't that the next step?

6. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's actually much worse than that! ;)
    But, thank goodness you aren't the dictator of consumerville. :eek:

[​IMG]
    Somewhere...

Emerald City in hologram baby! Follow the yellow brick road...

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wish they had done that with The Simpsons' first few seasons -- make the show into 16x9.

But I'd be opposed to doing it for a classic 1.33 movie.

8. Oatsdad

TV show altered = A-OK, but "classic movie" = bad idea.

Huh?

goodiesguy likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very different mediums. It'd depend on the show: one could argue that The Untouchables and a handful of others were noir-ish enough that they specifically needed to be in B&W. But I think those are rare. Colorizing I Love Lucy and Leave It to Beaver is not going to be looked upon as an artistic sacrilege the way doing it to, say, Citizen Kane or Psycho would be. Different rules for different mediums.

I'd have no problem if the director specifically approved colorizing a B&W version -- and that is permitted by the DGA. But again, I'd only sanction it if it were done perfectly, to the point where you couldn't tell it was shot in B&W. And that's very rare (and costs plenty big bucks).

10. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

I'm conservative on these matters but, I have to admit that if any old film might be worth a watch in 3D, this could be the one. Not a permanent change, but an alternative watch. Sure, why not? And, I agree, turn on the 3D at the same time as the color!

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think colorizing anything in film or television from B&W is wrong and ridiculous . Not only does the fake color look terrible but it also ruins the lighting that is so crucial to B&W cinematography.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's hard to argue with. In a perfect world, the colorization technicians would always use a timed B&W element as a guide so they could at least get the density levels in the ballpark, so each scene would neither be too bright or too dark. We actually did that on the HD colorized version of Night of the Living Dead, and in that case, director George Romero actually participated in the color decisions.

I think it's hard to do, and no question, it's a compromise. You might call it the visual equivalent of taking a mono song and remixing it into stereo... more like remixing it into 5.1 surround. No matter what you do, it's going to be fundamentally and profoundly different from the original. My point is I think you can do it with style, taste, and good judgement, but the greater risk is that it'll be done cheaply, badly, and look tacky.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

God I can't even imagine Night of Living Dead in color. How did it turn out?

14. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So if "colorization" and "3D" is sacrilege, what then does it bode for the movie itself?
    I mean, it's just not right that a (gasp) picture movie was made from a 1900 novel by L. Frank Baumbook! - OMG! How dare Hollywood polute our eyes!

And what about...

Film adaptations
    OM double G!
    Announced adaptations

• Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return is an upcoming 2014 animated film, based on one of Roger S. Baum's books.
    • Dreams of Oz is an adaptation of the Calibre Comics series, Oz, scheduled for 2012. An adult Dorothy is having dreams of the magical land of Oz again. When she returns, the Wizard has shown his true evil colors, and the two parts of Oz are at war. She has to choose between Hunk (the Scarecrow), Hickory (the Tin Man) and Zeke (the Cowardly Lion) and vanquish evil before it's too late. It is to be directed by Pearry Teo. The film is scheduled to be released in 2014.
    • L. Frank Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz is an independent film project.
    and, and,

Television adaptations ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_The_Wizard_of_Oz

OM double-triple G! - I want my Oz 3DeeeeeeeeeEEEEEE

nbakid2000 likes this.
  15. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

It turned out like every other colorization.... pointless and unnecessary. With color, the film loses the creepiness it once had.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Posts deleted. Please stay on topic, and if you have a beef with somebody's posts, please use the "report" button. (I'm talking to forum vets who should know the routine by now.)

17. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

The production of the original film was also "capitalist recycling"...

18. Oatsdad

I'm not sure why WB is calling this and "Gone with the Wind" "75th Anniversary" editions since it's been 74 years!

Well, at least they're attaching a number. Sony put out "Anniversary Editions" for movies like "Boyz n the Hood" that came on "unremarkable" anniversaries - for instance, it was the 12th anniversary of "Boyz".

Every movie can be an "anniversary edition" is you want it to be, obviously, but traditionally, they go with "divisible by 5" anniversaries...

19. Warner isn't the only studio guilty of this practice, Colin...Disney is planning to release the 50th Anniversary blu-ray of "Mary Poppins" in the 4th quarter of THIS YEAR, for a movie that doesn't ACTUALLY celebrate it until 2014!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, I thought it was one of the best colorized films I'd ever seen. We did a lot of work to improve the overall timing in HD, and again, director George Romero was involved and did approve the work (this was in 2004). Romero has been very bitter over the years that, due to copyright and distribution problems on the original film, he made very, very little money on the 1968 version of Night of the Living Dead. He did get paid for the colorized version.

mj_patrick likes this.
  21. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

I'm sure hard work did go into it and I'm glad Romero got paid, but I still think it's pointless. It's a movie that really works in black and white.

22. Oatsdad

Every colorized film is pointless. None are more pointless than the others - "pointless" is an absolute! :D

23. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

No argument here.

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Wal-Mart has an "exclusive" version on sale for $19.96 today. The page pictures the box set, however. I ordered one, even though I don't believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.