The Wizard of Oz 3D Blu-ray 75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tribby2001, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I've always been impressed with the colorized version of NoTLD, it has always seemed more believable to me than most of the other film colorizations I've seen. Nice work!

Getting back on topic, I'll stick with my minimalist Emerald Edition Blu-Ray. Somehow I'll be able to finish this lifetime without the 3-D or that Ruby Slippers Sparkle Globe.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Since that's the same pic they use for the $74 version, I'd say your disbelief makes sense!

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I bought the standard 3d/2d bluray 2 disk set. The 2d disk takes a long time to load; the 3d disk is normal. Anyone else have a similar issue? I believe that my Panasonic bluray firmware is up to date.

4. Oatsdad

I can check it again it you'd like, but I don't remember any load-time problems when I played it. I have a Panny player, too...

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I bought the 2D with digital copy from the evil Wal-Mart on Tuesday and have watched it three times already. If the football game tonight sucks I might put it on again.

6. stereoptic

Thanks. I'll try giving the disk a quick cleaning and if that doesn't work - back to amazon.com!

7. Oatsdad

Don't send back your disc - I tried it in my Panny and it was indeed slow to load. It took 65 seconds on mine but took about half that time on my Sony player. Must just be an issue with Pannys!

8. stereoptic

Hey thanks! I forgot to check it out when I got home from work today.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. Oatsdad

No problem! Just remember this next time I say something stupid and the Gorts want to ban me! :D

10. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

well.....I remember seeing the Twilight Zone episode "Miniature" were they colorized the interior of the dollhouse that fascinated Robert Duvall. I have no idea if that is something that Rod Serling wanted when it was filmed. But I think it added something.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_(The_Twilight_Zone)

I wouldn't mind seeing the late 1960s version of "The Forsyte Saga" colorized if done. Unfortunately there was not color equipment available when filmed, and they couldn't keep the cast together.

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

That made its colorized premiere on a syndicated broadcast called "The Twilight Zone 25th Anniversary Special" (or something to that effect), and boy howdy, that was some bad colorization. This is in about 1984, IIRC, so it was pretty early colorization. Probably could be done better today. I've still got that VHS tape floating around here somewhere.

12. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

It does the same thing on my Panasonic. Perhaps the disc is poorly mastered?

Derek

13. Oatsdad

Could be, but ut seems to be a problem with Panny players and not solely the disc - "Oz" loaded about twice as fast when I tried it in my Sony...

14. stereoptic

I also have a SONY Bluray player in another room. I'll try it on that one tomorrow.

15. Oatsdad

Just remember post 59! :D

16. stereoptic

haha! We would have a lot less members here if we were to use stupid posts as a reason for banning! :)

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I got the 2D blu-ray version at Walmart tonight for $11.99! Awesome! (didn't need the 3D version - no 3D TV)

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It's no different than the car industry - they put out their new cars the year before.

19. Folks should be aware that if they don't have a 3D BD player, the 3D BD Oz will not play.

20. Oatsdad

But it IS unusual for home video. 99% of the "anniversary editions" come out in the anniversary year. In fact, this "74th Anniversary Edition That We're Calling 75th" of "Oz" is the only one that I can think of that came out in the wrong year - others probably exist, but I can't think of any, and if they exist, they're rare...

nbakid2000 likes this.
  21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I watched the 3D version over the weekend. The depth effects were well done and this is the best I have ever seen the movie look. The remixed sound was ok and the dialog was clean and clear. The original mono track is here, too.

22. stereoptic

28 seconds from drawer closing to the WB in the clouds opening using the SONY BluRay BDP-S5100.

I did a firmware upgrade (ver. 1.53) on the Panasonic DMP-BDT321 - evidently it didn't automatically update because it somehow lost its internet connection.
    60 seconds from drawer close to WB in the clouds opening.

23. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

recently watched 3D Wiz....in short, outstanding!!!. Labor of Love.............

24. Frankly, my dear, I could live without it. I found the 3D-ization more a gimmick than something that added to my pleasure in watching the film. I'll take the 2D Blu-ray any day.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I did notice, aside from the film itself, the "3D" release had awful cover art on some versions. It's weird. I'm probably way too much into packaging/cover art, yet I usually don't gripe about it a lot if it's bad. But when I saw the cover of one of the standalone 3D releases, I thought it was pretty cheap looking:

[​IMG]

This variation was pretty much just as bad:
    [​IMG]

Did they at some point at least change the awful font? Because I'm also seeing this variation:

[​IMG]

I thought the one I picked up on Blu-ray back during the old "70th Anniversary" had a decent cover. I'm also now noticing how much Target is into Wizard of Oz exclusives:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.