The Wizard of Oz 3D Blu-ray 75th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tribby2001, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Gimmick? Hardly. A real fine effort by very talented professionals at using the existing technology to produce a different and unique edition..............We have both so we can all be happy!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. Warner Bros. seems to be in the recycling business by reissuing Oz under any pretext, meaning some anniversary or the like. It is a cash cow for them, and consumers are led to believe they have to buy the latest version. When they issued the Blu-ray version in 2D, I also had a problem with the fact that the Warner special effects computer wizs couldn't resist eliminating the visible wires the flying monkeys were using. Part of the charm of the film is to witness the extraordinary special effects vintage 1939, which did not include digitally eliminating those wires. Part of the charm of the film was thus erased. Sorry, but I firmly believe Warner Bros. has done a disservice to viewers by seeking to modernize a classic.

3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree, the 70th anniversary cover art is much better. That's the version I have.

Also, is it just me, or do this movie and Gone With the Wind get re-issued every five years like clockwork now??

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They digitally erased the Flying Monkey wires?! :(

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I didn't notice or care.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  6. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

Even though we disagree on the 3D Oz, I must agree with you as to the monkey wires....they almost did it to Kong during the TRex fight but thank goodness they thought twice about.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, they DO release "Clockwork" a lot too! ;) :D

Dee Zee likes this.
  8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...rd_of_Oz_UPDATED_-_Before_and_After_Pics/3397

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/09/wires-be-gone/

GroovinGarrett and stereoptic like this.
  9. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Did you ever watch it in 3D? Back in post #42 you said you weren't buying it.

I found it to be an excellent 3D conversion that added a lot to the film. I loved seeing Oz in 3D, and even the flat backgrounds were converted so I could see beyond the stage. It was awesome and well worth buying if you have a 3D television. (I bought the set with with both 2D & 3D versions in it.)

Derek

stereoptic likes this.
  10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I saw the 3D version in theaters. It was pretty stunning.

11. I most definitely did watch it, and based my above comments on that experience.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I was much more impressed with The Wizard of Oz in 3D than I anticipated -- by which I mean that there was a far greater sense of depth than I imagined they would be able to create from the source. Given that it wasn't originally filmed to be shown in 3D, I think that minor revisions such as removing the flying monkeys' wires isn't a big deal. If one wants to stick to the way the film looked when first shown in theaters, then one shouldn't even be looking at the 3D version.

stereoptic likes this.
  13. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Give me a CLEAN version that is true to the original colors/sepia tone. I don't need all the excessive bells and whistle crap.

Lawrence Schulman likes this.
  14. I agree completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.