The Wolfman 1941 Now Spinning On Blu Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While I love the blu-ray boxed set, it makes me wonder what's the plan for the sequels.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Stop trying to criticize a 1935 movie using 2014 preconceptions and biases"

Hold the phone here, (if it's ringing) I always respect your views and opinions but......What????

I'm comparing it in context to THE 1931 Frankenstein, so what does 2014 have to do with anything?

I don't care what other reviews say, for me, the music score gets in the way too often throughout the movie. It distracts me more often than not.

To me it's overblown, and clumsy many times. The attempt to meld humor with horror does not quite jell. The silly little creations in bottles distracts from the frank, stark horror of the Frankenstein creation.

Things like, "smoke good" yes that's a bit funny, but.....

Flash back 47 years to late night viewing, I'm 9 years old, and the 1931 Frankenstein scared the living hell out of me, but the 1935 Bride Of just made me wonder if I was supposed to be scared or just shake my head and try to laugh.

For almost 5 decades for me I've put Frankenstein head and shoulders above Bride Of, and I understand I'm in a minority, that's ok.

I'm far from a casual viewer of these films, I'm lived with them for decades so this is not some flippant, off the cuff opinion I just decided to toss out, it's a feeling I've held for decades, though only still my opinion it 'tis.

Still respect your opinion too though, bro.

Alan G. likes this.
  3. GuildX700

They will milk it for as much $$$ as possible. The 30 disc set DVD is out, so now they will probably piece meal more small blu ray sets and finally....after that is done we'll see a full blu ray set. Time will tell, but history shows that's how it usually works.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I think Bride is the better film overall (for all the reasons mentioned earlier) but I prefer the tone of the first film. If I'm in the mood for horror I watch Frankenstein, if I'm in the mood for horror/comedy I'll watch Bride.

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. GuildX700

Ok, I'm pulling out all the stops now:

6. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I agree. I proffread everything I send via iPhone, iPade, etc.

7. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

She's also got a very touching role in Beyond Tomorrow, sometimes re-titled Beyond Christmas, my own personal (and private since it's not well known) holiday-themed films. It's produced by Lee Garmes, who was the first cinematographer on Gone with the Wind. Maria Ouspenskaya is one of those actresses who's so good I will watch a film just to see her role.

GuildX700 likes this.
  8. GuildX700

Great flick!

kevinsinnott likes this.
  9. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I obviously don't proofread well enough. How embarrassing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.