“The Wonder Years” turns 30.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That was the point of the character. What's a DB?

2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

When the show was first Syndicated in 1992, each episode would typically end with this logo (I had no idea it was exclusive to rerun Syndication until recently). So calm. Soothing. Relaxing.

3. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Say, that is kind of soothing. I'll take that over some of the more terrifying closing logos I've seen!

Vahan likes this.
  5. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Starts with Dou and ends with bag.

andrewskyDE and GroovyGuy like this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh! :laugh: That is so not a "new" concept in family relations...

Duke Fame likes this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm having a hard time coming to grips that this show which took place 20-years ago is now 30-years old. When I was watching it as a teenager it seemed like some loooong ago era. Now here I am, thinking about how I watched it in some loooooonger ago era. Omg I'm old! :help:

dan c

8. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Should have gone one more season, and ended with Kevin losing his virginity to Winnie on the night Nixon resigns...a perfect end to the story and the era.

Isamet likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The show had already gone on too long by the time it ended, IMO. It should have ended one or two seasons earlier than it did.

Solaris likes this.
  10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

One of my favorite shows ever. I was the same age as Kevin at the time of its airing so i could relate with a lot of what he was going through, tho from another generate. Started watching the night of its airing after the Superbowl and never stopped till its premature cancellation. The ending of the series really tore me up when it was revealed that Mr. Arnold was gone. I just watched the entire series again after the dvd release and still felt a lot of the same emotions that I did 30 years again. Its a real shame we never got to see the gang graduate from High School. Would have made a perfect way to end the series.

SuntoryTime and Duke Fame like this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The gym class scenes give me bad flashbacks to Middle and High School Phys-Ed classes. Ugh, square dancing...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

This is definitely in my top five episodes. And the choice to use "Bookends Theme" as the closing music was spot on.

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Great show/series - I loved it as mid teenager and through my late teens. I watched it every week it was on. Was bummed when it was over but that's the way it goes. Great stories and I could really feel for Kevin at times with Winnie. It felt like I had been through similar stuff as he had.
    Still holds up well for me now 30 years later! Man, I'm getting old!
    I have the box set with all the DVD's. It's cool if you're a fan.

Duke Fame likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Kevin really loved Winnie Cooper because she's good at math! :)

15. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I loved this show and not just because Winnie resembled a girl I was stuck on in HS in the early 70s.

MikaelaArsenault and Grant like this.
  16. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

What's really mind-blowing is that if the show debuted today, it would be set in 1998. In other words, we're further away from the Wonder Years than the Wonder Years was from the decade it portrayed...and 1998 still feels like a few years ago.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

my thoughts exactly... wow

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It'd be about a million bucks to restore it all, and a lot would depend on Sony making the decision on how much more of an audience there would be to watch the show in HD. There's not a lot of visual effects, so at least it's not like the Star Trek situation where thousands of VFX had to be redone from scratch.

Dan C and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. AKA

I'm pretty sure Fox owns the show now, thanks to their purchase of New World in the '90s. And of course, it'll be Disney's problem in about a year.

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I was about 28 when the show started, and my wife was 26 (though we weren't married yet then). We both started watching it from the very first episode and were hooked immediately, made sure to see it every new week through the whole run. Absolutely loved this show.

We watched the whole series again when it came on netflix, and seeing it again after all that time it was still just as great.

SuntoryTime and AKA like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Is it Fox now? I coulda sworn Sony was involved with it, but it does look like Fox wound up with all the New World shows. And if the Disney sale goes through in July, then I would assume the rights would transfer over to Disney for all the old Fox shows.

AKA likes this.
  22. AKA

On Netflix (and probably on DVD), the New World logo is clumsily pasted over with the 20th Television logo. No fanfare; the last few notes of the end theme play over it.

Here it is:

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Just before I got married, I spent several months binge-watching The Wonder Years with my then-roommate. who was a big fan. One of the cable channels was running it in blocks. We watched pretty much the entire series. Every time I've tried to re-watch it, I've given up eventually. When it came on Netflix and Amazon I dove in and watched a bunch of season 1 but eventually I just got tired of it. I don't really know what it is, I guess it just seems like a series designed to press all these emotional buttons and while it's fun one time, it's not something that bears repeating.

Siegmund likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Well that certainly is depressing.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never missed an episode, but I hated when they got the wrong song for the time, or when they would accidentally show a late-model car parked on a street.

Manapua likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.