The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Try spraying and wiping down your record with a alcohol / water mixture before applying
    the glue. This should cut out or down the static when doing the peel.
    I've been doing this for years and have had good results.
    I buy the big jug of glue and refill my bottle. Save money that way.

MrRom92 likes this.
  2. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

I wouldn't do it, I'd hate to waste that glue.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

While I wasn't overly impressed with the results of my wood gluing, I did find it oddly pleasurable to pull off the glue after it dried.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks for the threadcrap

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

For those who have done this once or twice and have decided it doesn't work, you haven't done it enough. I've never had the experience where a record sounds worse after a gluing. I've been doing this off and on for nearly 5 years.

MrRom92 and superstar19 like this.
  6. I neither have the time to wait for the glue to dry nor do I have enough money to buy all the wood glue that I would need. Besides, my wife doesn't appreciate all the records that I have and I know she would read me the riot act for having records all over the house with glue drying on them. I could just imagine the smell. Wood glue for cleaning records? Insanity!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Anytime!

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Then, why are you here?

eddiel likes this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Doesn't smell badly.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You don't need to do this for every record and generally people who do use this method tend to agree that it isn't necessarily a replacement for a wet clean; it's a supplement to wet cleaning should that method not achieve the desired results. It's sort of a last ditch effort IMO.

I would even be annoyed if my house were full of wood glue covered records in various states of drying. However, unlike yourself, I've realised that I could just deal with one record at a time. :)

I'm trying it out for myself now and granted it is time consuming, in that you have to wait for it to dry. The verdict is still out for me at the moment, but assuming all works well, I can still see this as a rare occurrence for me as opposed to a regular thing. Cost wise, in that context, it's not that much to spend on trying to make a record more listenable.

11. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I have wood-glued many albums. Since getting a vacuum wand to wet clean with the Audio Intelligent #6 formula, I don't do it nearly as often -- yet I have wood glue standing by for an important album that needs a deep clean.

Results can vary from almost unnoticeable to amazing. If you've tried it once or twice without much success, the record was probably damaged. Wood glue can do wonders for the right candidate, but it's hard to know which album it will fix well just by looking at it.

Sailfree, Pappas3278 and Tommyboy like this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

These days I only use this method for records that really need it and always supplement the process with a wet cleaning, as well as dip in the ultrasonic machine.

I can only handle one LP at a time.

eddiel likes this.
  13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Dries while you sleep... does that count as waiting? :shake:

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Mine dry in about an hour. Fairly thin coat with a fan blowing across the surface.

15. Kinda smells like an old man. lol

Vinyl Addict and sunspot42 like this.
  16. If cleaning in my VPI machine doesn't do it, the record is probably junk. Records that look great can often be a sonic problem, if a record looks trashed, I wouldn't play it let alone waste my time cleaning it. Now, if it were a Robert Johnson 78, that's another story.

Being in the process of digitizing thousands of records, and trying to do a few a day, taking the time to glue-clean them isn't an option. Especially with my current detour with the Christmas records, getting the LP's cleaned, digitized and loaded into my Seeburg HSC-3 50-LP stereo console before Christmas. The next logical step is to clean, digitize and re-load the LP's I took out for Christmas.

Just for the heck of it, I might get some wood glue and try it on a troublesome LP after wet/vacuum cleaning, then digitizing, comparing on a scope the before and after glue-cleaning. I don't expect to see a difference.

Cost wise, when dealing with thousands of records, the cost of glue-cleaning isn't wise.

17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

In my experience, the wood glue is only recommended for records that haven't been well cared for. I've never used it on any of the records from my personal collection, but there have been a handful of records that I've picked up from the used bins or thrift stores that a bath in the Spin-Clean didn't quite get them sounding as good as I'd like. For those few records, I've given them the wood glue treatment and the results have varied from no improvement to a big improvement, but I wouldn't recommend blindly applying the wood glue treatment to an entire collection.

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The wood glue treatment rendered a horribly trashed original Unipak/Artisan pressing of Exile On Main Street that I’d picked up listenable. That’s a good outcome in my book.

deadcoldfish likes this.
  19. Spin-Clean? You only get what you pay for. Glue-cleaning would be a better option in that case. When you bring that used record home, the first thing you want to do is to play it. Waiting for the glue to dry and doing both sides puts that listening experience off to the next day.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I have not noticed the wood glue smell. That is a new one on me.

21. It smells like trolling.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As I and many others have pointed out, it isn't a cleaning system for thousands of records. So that's an irrelevant point. On the other hand if someone wants to spend their money it, it's their money so I wouldn't care anyway.

That would make no difference to me as I clean every record I buy before playing it on my RCM. Unless the record is spotless it goes on the RCM first and that happens when I have time. Also, many people who used this method have better RCMs than a Spin Clean.

To point out yet again, this method is reserved for a post wet clean so no one would need to wait for glue to try before playing a record anyway. In addition why do you even give s**t if someone chooses to wait? It won't affect you will it?

I'm not sure why can't grasp these two points; not for cleaning all your records, best used after other cleaning attempts.

23. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Sad for you that your budget is so small and your mind so narrow. Also, I guess you need it pointed out to you that no one is making you do it. If you think it's crazy, just move on.

He can't grasp it because he is apparently close minded and doesn't listen/read.

To be sure, putting wood glue on records to clean them sounds crazy. But it's not, as has been proven by many, many people, both here and in other audio forums. It's entertaining how many people go off half-cocked that just because it sounds crazy it must be crazy, regardless of evidence to the contrary. Kind of like the anti-science crowd who are impervious to evidence and instead prefer to create their own belief-based "realities".

The glue method IS a pain in the *ss and should be considered a last resort. As has been explained elsewhere, it is basically like a "facial" for the record. The glue flows into every tiny cranny of the grooves and yanks anything that isn't part of the actual record off of it, even stuff that the best RCMs cannot get. None of the glue sticks because it chemically cannot bond to the plastic.

Again, for most of us, wood glue treatment is a method worth using only very occasionally on either really really dirty records that are worth the effort to try and save, or records with particularly obstinate noise issues. After all that has been said in this regard, anyone who assumes differently either can't read, or as my grandfather used to say "ain't too plenty in headbone".

Sailfree likes this.
  24. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

It's definitely a one-at-a-time overnight method for the right candidate, but not expensive - $5.50 will clean dozens of records.

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I've heard accounts of it improving the sound.

I've also heard stories of people ruining their vinyl, and at the very least having MORE noise than what they started with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.