The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

His claim is it never helps more than other cleaning methods. The ruined records were too much of a mess anyway.

2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

$6? You overpaid...

4. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I don't find using wood glue for cleaning records CRAZY unlike some people. Anyway this method usually works for me, sometimes better, sometimes just to some degree, but it works.
    What I find CRAZY (and please forgive me if you disagree) is DIGITAZING records, in other words transferring good analog sound into crappy digital form. Just buy a CD and be done with it!

dmckean likes this.
  5. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Sorry but this is absolute BS....I also digitize records, but us pros calling it ripping.....LOL. It's in that respect I tell you this....the wood glue, Tite Bond II, cleaning method works and can be proven rather easily. I presume you are cleaning pops ticks etc when digitizing.....have you used ClickRepair? If not, get the trial.

Clean an LP with your RCM and rip (digitize) a side. Run click repair and take note of how many repairs were done. Waddle down to the hardware store and spend the $5 on a bottle. Google how to do it, and apply glue to the same side, not too thin but not too thick and let it dry over night....ensure it's opaque before peeling. Grab your Zero Stat gun (you have one for digitizing right?) , triangular pattern 8" away from the LP.....then record that same side and re ClickRepair.

Unless you started with a pristine album that was perfect before, the clicks repaired will be vastly lower than before. I guarantee it.

Now if you still won't try this little test, feel free to jump out this thread. We need people in here talking about success......not people who have never done it and only offer BS.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

This is advice you should heed AE.

You've obviously never tried this method and therefore have no useful or informed experience to share. And you've let us know that using the wood glue cleaning method is beneath your pristine lp collection.

So what, exactly, is the dog you have in this fight?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Hey, this is an audiophile site, we stay away from the cheap stuff.

Aftermath and jimbutsu like this.
  8. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Does anyone really think throwing some liquid on a record and scrubbing it a bit and then vacuuming off is the best you can do to clean vinyl? Wood glue is not for every album but it can definitely help on an album that does not look trashed but has some surface noise a RCM can't rectify. Take it a step further and make some 'record revirginizer". Scoff all you want, I have an ultrasonic and a very esoteric cleaning process plus I have heard the results in the literally thousands of "rips" I have done.

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm actually surprised nobody has come up with something similar to but better than wood glue for cleaning vinyl. The ideal substance:

1) Would have some kind of detergent action, to spirit off greasy residue
    2) Would have anti-static properties, eliminating the need to zap the record with a Zerostat (or similar) when removed
    3) Would dry in an hour instead of hours
    4) Would be somewhat more pliable and elastic once dry, and less prone to tearing or leaving bits stuck behind

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

11. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I find that my rips sound better than CDs, but not better than the actual LP itself, sans surface noise repairs.

Well, if all it takes is a flick under s scope to fix it, why wouldn't a liquid compound designed to get into such cracks and crevices be able to surround these anomalies and pull them completely out? It does.

The RCM only sucks out the stuff that got loose when you used a liquid and pad to press it down deeper. It's the fluid, a chemical to loosen things....since it can't get in there long enough without causing some damage you can't leave it there overnight to work. The glue gets in there and coats/surrounds the junk, then hardens. When pulled, the junk is stuck and has to come out with the glue.

I find your opinion to be BS because you only have half the facts. Why did you buy a RCM? Because people said it cleaned vinyl well. Well, people have also said glue cleans vinyl extremely well.

It appears you've trusted said people about one thing but not the other, ar at the very least after you bought the RCM. Had it not done a good job would you have taken the side that RCM's are a waste as well?

If this were football, you just committed intentional grounding....you never really tried to complete the pass and didn't get the ball to the line of scrimmage.....10 yards and loss of down. Time to punt Bro.

rtrt likes this.
  12. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's been around since the late 1970s:

[​IMG]

13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Tried the "glue" (Titebond II) method and did some before and after needledrops. In the "after" files I noticed a dulling or veiling of the sound. I think what happens is that even after the glue dries and you peel it off, some very slight residue is left on the record and gets transferred to the stylus as it moves through the record. Overall, the cleaning results of eliminating dust and dirt particles were inferior to my vacuum system. I don't recommend the glue system unless you want to clean records on the cheap AND don't mind potentially damaging your stylus with glue residue.

14. Have you observed glue residue built up on your stylus? Or, do you have other proof that wood glue will damage a stylus?

15. I've never had glue residue on my records. Excluding a good vacuum or ultrasonic RCM (which I've never tried), nothing works better than wood glue in my experience. Here's my video one more time for the non-believers:

16. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

If it's their last resort, even the instant gratification crowd will wait out the few hours while they do something else or spin other music. It's also a non-issue on page 30 cuz the ones who won't do it bailed out of this thread 29 pages ago.

17. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

OK - interesting turn this thread has taken.
    Now back to those who want to try the wood glue method.....

I received a couple of bottles of Titebond II for xmas and I'm going to try this out on some old records.
    I will of course begin with nothing valuable -
    but quick question:
    Is it a good idea to use my VPI 16.5 as a base of operations? I don't want glue all over the place, but I can't think of a better 'platter' to use.
    Any other last minute suggestions for a first timer?

Thanks.
    j.

18. TubularBell

TubularBell Forum Resident

I have put the record on a low drinking glass (same size as label), then I spray a thick spiral of glue, which I spread with old credit card from inside to outer edge, holding the record against the glass with my left hand. Then I place a piece loop of sewingthread at the outer edge. It makes the peeling lot easier.
    I guess if you have a direct drive TT, you can easily spread the glue on your turntable. I have belt drive so I have to do it otherwise. The glass keeps the other side from touching anything so I won't scratch it or glue the record to the table... And it's easy to move.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Right. Wood gluing is the last resort for me. I'll just clean it on the 16.5 first, listen to it, and assess the next step.

20. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

I've a belt drive as well so I'm not doing that. But perhaps the VPI will do.
    Good idea on the sewing thread - thanks much.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Exactly. I have plenty of other albums and CDs to listen to. I think I can delay my gratification for a day.

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'd be very careful. I think a beater turntable is the best option.

DaverJ likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I would avoid using the VPI. Either use a beater turntable or don't use a platter at all. I have an RCM and debated using it but tried it without a platter first and I'm pleased I did. You'll get glue on the VPI.

Not having a rotating platter does make it more difficult but it's nothing that can't be over come. :)

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. I carefully spread the glue all over the record (minus the label, of course) with my right middle finger. Works perfectly for me.

25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Like many, I've been super skeptical about using this seemingly counter intuitive and time intensive method, yet so many folks whose opinions I respect here (and elsewhere) swear by it, so I had to try it. The test record? I scored (cheaply) a VG++ graded UK Crime of the Century (A5, B6 for those who care) that turned out to be VG at best. I first cleaned it using my standard wet clean method (which is usually highly effective), yet it was still very crackly for the 1st half of both sides even though it looked nice and glossy. It seemed like a good candidate. I glued side two with Titebond II yesterday and peeled it and wet cleaned it again today. To say it's night and day would be an understatement. It's a vast improvement, which turned a non-keeper record into a 100% keeper. Just my 2 cents. Just glued side 1. YMMV.

DaverJ, Tommyboy and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.