The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Yes, the statics are gone after Elmer. However, I hear more detail resolution and clearer harmonica sound before Elmer.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Perisphere,
    I think that the pictures are out of order, the third should actually be the last one, no?

Still great post :thumbsup:

It looks king of dangerous though, I wouldn't try it to any of my "valuable" records.

3. Orlan K

Orlan K New Member

It's a laborious and scary procedure but it works when nothing else will. I'd use a less expensive cart on those records, though.

4. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish Señor Member

Boy is it! But it does work for really grimey records that just won't seem to clean.

Although you are entirely correct about the peel being a negative, it still works. I've tried it.

5. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

No, they are in order. Sorry my lighting is so poor, that second pic was to show how the glue looks when completely dry.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is where I draw the line. Too much hassle and expense.

7. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Empire here in the US marketed a product called Discofilm in the late 1970s that had to be coated onto the disc, not sprayed IIRC.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks, it makes sense now.

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've used rubber cement on one side of one of those records that doesn't look scratched but stays particularly noisy, despite thorough cleaning on a VPI. It definitely lowered the noise floor, and that side even looked "blacker" than the untreated side. I didn't put it on thick enough, however, and getting the stuff off was a real PIA.

10. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

hmmm..... hassle... maybe.

expense... ????

cleaner

It all depends.. .;)

cheers,

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The two participants will be a $2.99 copy of Scorpions "Taken by Force" and Piper "Piper", another cheapy. Gave them a manual wet clean first (distilled water/brush only, dried off with a lint free towel) and then laid down the glue, currently curing for the next 7-8 hours, will report back on whether it's as magical as claimed by some in this thread. Will snap, crackle and pop leave the building or will it be the vinyl finding a new home in a Toronto area landfill?

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

12. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Looking forward to hearing about your results. I've been afraid to try it myself. . .

13. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Perhaps it might be more beneficial to experiment on quieter music? Something sparse/acoustic as not to obscure the effects (positive or negative) of the glue.

Of course, here I am nitpicking when I've not tried it myself.

wcarroll likes this.
  14. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Now that I got a VPI I dont need to even think about this. I would be too afraid to ruin my records!

15. Miter53

Miter53 Forum Resident

I have tried this and it actually really works great. I save it for the thrift store finds though.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

wow, in my entire history I've had a few bad ideas, make that numerous but now we have a new candidate for the top spot...:help::help:off to the landfill they go - this was beyond disastrous :laugh::laugh the glue came off but it left a micro dust like deposit behind and there's no way I'm putting my needle thru that

my personal psa for today

"Do not use wood glue or glue of any kind on your records"

thanks Audio Karma :thumbsdn:

17. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:laugh:

I though "Disaster" just from reading the thread title. At least you gave it a go!

18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

So are you saying that additional washing couldn't remove the dust?

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I won't take that chance, the cost of the experiment was less than $10 - no point risking the added cost of a 2M Bronze needle on top of it, I have near mint versions of both albums already so it's all good.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I gave it the old college try...:righton:

21. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Coolness! I was cheering for you and enjoyed eating a big bowl of popcorn waiting for the results. Sorry it did not work, but your thread was fun to follow.

22. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I agree. Did the other thread mention the leftover residue and what to do then? I can't remember. I DO remember the results though - I even saved the samples to convince myself to try it sometime. The difference between the two samples was huge. I would give them another quick wash. And if you're worried about your cartridge, do you have a cheapo turntable you could try it on? I still have a Radio Shack $79 one that I've had for over 5-7 years, and I wouldn't fear using it for that. There are people who swear by the glue thing (for "last resort" records, of course).

I just worry that you're slamming on the brakes right before the finish line.

23. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

Did you use "sandable" wood glue? That has fine sawdust in it. Try it with plain old Elmer's, it works.

24. japes

japes Senior Member

...applying wood glue to mono copy of Axis now. :D

25. Mark W.

Mark W. Forum Resident

this has been proven to work quite well. I have never heard of a Wood glue that could leave a powder residue behind. BUT then I have only been doing woodworking and balsa model building and custom Knifemaking and building and remodeling houses for 41 years or so. So I could have missed it

muskrat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.