The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I second getting a beater turntable for gluing -- bonus if it still spins and bigger bonus if it has decent torque (direct drive).

I also found an unneeded credit-style card, sometime found in junk mail, as a great way to spread the glue on the spinning record.

Ben Adams likes this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Thanks everyone - I don't have a beater turntable to use.
    But all the other suggestions have been great.
    Off to the Wood Glue Record Repair Shop I go!

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I haven't tried glue, but I have tried a product called 'spray and wash' which has enzyme cleaners in it (its for laundry stains) and it worked extremely well. I think I diluted it 14/1 with distilled water. I used it with a VPI and them followed with a water rinse and the noise was significantly reduced. Good for a first step on new or used records. No damage to record or stylus.

arisinwind likes this.
  4. It's a free country and you can disregard the value of this cleaning method and ridicule those who use it if you wish---Even though you admit you have never tried it yourself. I must admit I was skeptical at first but it really does work. I have both 40KHz and 60KHz ultrasonic units, so I have some experience with high tech record cleaning machines. I clean records for personal use and not as a commercial enterprise, so the extra time and trouble for glue treatment is not a big deal to me. I hate surface noise and use this technique in combination with ultrasonic cleaning. My personal opinion is, don't knock it until you have tried it---and test it on more than one record because it will not magically "heal" damaged vinyl. Along with ultrasonic cleaning, wood glue treatment is the best way to deep clean a record that I have found yet.

5. I have used Franklin Tite Bond II wood glue to successfully clean probably well over 100 records without any issues, and never did the album have more noise than before the treatment. My very worst result was that it didn't help that much---probably due to the fact that the previous owner had damaged the grooves with a trashed stylus or improperly set up playback system. Most come out vastly improved and some come out virtually absent of any surface noise altogether. This technique is for vinyl records only and not the old shellac 78's or other non-vinyl records. Someone probably put superglue on a record or glued the record to the work surface and then raised Hell on the internet because it ruined their record ---you can't fix stupid! :sweating:Keep the glue off the paper labels, spread the glue with something soft that will not scratch, and use the right kind of glue and there is no risk whatsoever. I have a couple of $100+ albums that I have glued to reduce surface noise---no problem. Anyone starting out--- Although the method is safe I would begin with a non valuable or common album as your technique will improve after you have done a couple. Getting the right amount of glue applied and keeping the excess off the label and working surface takes a little practice.

sunspot42 and katstep like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

would be keen to try this http://www.recordrevirginizer.com/
    but a bottle only does about 16 lp sides.......
    not quite enough when you have a couple a thousand records however......
    I might try the wood glue on some old non important records.

RickB

7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I started out as a bottom feeder with my vinyl collection. I've become more discerning about the vinyl I buy and even buy new records once in awhile. But I still only have a Spin Clean. So my "data points" on the wood glue method are from that perspective.

It's always fun to read that even people with high end cleaning systems still find the wood glue method to be useful.

Sailfree likes this.
  8. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

You can easily make your own revirginizer

9. Rick Bartlett

I can?...... what ingredients would you recommend?
    distilled water, vinegar, isopropyl, dishwash liquid? or none that I mentioned?

RickB

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Is there much difference between Revirginizer and Discofilm?

12. Rick Bartlett

ah well thankyou! incredible thread, thanks for the link.
    better get some ingredients and put on the baking gloves.

Cheers, RickB:targettiphat:

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

14. Rick Bartlett

after spending several hours browsing and tracing down sources for the 'ingredients'. The CYASTAT SN seems near impossible to get...
    I have not been able to find a website that can sell this. anyone else know an available supplier?

RickB

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

16. Rick Bartlett

ahh vinyldoneright. that's great man, thankyou very much.

RickB

17. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

Can't get a tab to work.
    Tried tape, dried wood glue and now dental floss - all failed.
    If anyone has had success with floss please let me know how you've applied it.

18. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

you don't necesarily need tabs.
    i use the tip of a utility knife and carefully lift the edge of the dried glue over the run-in groove.

19. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I just simply use my fingernail. Once a tiny bit lifts then the rest just peels. It's one of the most satisfying feelings.

20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I wood glue, toss the vinyl and then just play back the wood glue copy. Breath of Timber.

sunspot42 and George Blair like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Question of the day: Can you wood glue clean the glue copy?

Aftermath, Gaslight and sunspot42 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No. But I've found they can be cleaned with cat urine.

Makes quite a stink, though...and holding the cat still over the turntable while it urinates is difficult to master (and enrages the cat).

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Can you post a video?

24. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

This is what I do now but every now and again it gets tough to get it the peel started so am still looking for a simple tab that works. Just saved an original Jam Session at Carnegie Hall which multiple vacuum and ultrasonic cleanings had failed to ressurect - now that's what I call satisfying!

25. With a female stylus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.