The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I play it backwards. I heard that takes normal wood-glued music and makes it sound more angelic.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

[​IMG]

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Well I'll be dipped...

4. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

You have to clean it with a glob of molten vinyl.

Gaslight and sunspot42 like this.
  5. :shrug:

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

There was a famous electron micrograph of it playing, but I can't find it now.

7. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

some records are just f*cked!!! Happy Valentines Day :)

Aftermath likes this.
  8. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

It's great when a record gets "saved" through this method. It really can perform miracles. Now, it does matter what wood glue you use. Have extensively tested them , I always use Evo-Stick Wood Adhesive interior. It peels away beautifully each time, leaving just one carcass. There is no debris left behind and it's removal ability is second to none imo. I find that some wood glues can adhere rather too strongly or they become too brittle.

Sailfree likes this.
  9. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Yeah. I've found the best approach for me is having a thumbnail long enough to grip the edge,works for me.

10. Clarets

Clarets Forum Resident

Guess I'll just have to quit watching horror movies or sit on one of my hands. Yeah and sometimes you have to throw in the towel and donate it to the charity bin!
    Happy Valentines to all.

11. I'll put just enough painter's tape to cover the lead in groove on a couple of spots before applying the glue, then once it's time for removal, another small piece of tape on top of that, but a little longer. Works nearly every time.

Clarets likes this.
  12. Kelan Wood

Kelan Wood Forum Resident

13. I am assuming you have tried the Franklin Tite Bond II that many say is the best wood glue to use. I will have to find some Evo-Stick and give it a try.

Clarets likes this.
  14. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident

Kelan Wood likes this.
  15. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I haven't tried that one as it is not readily available in my local DIY stores here in the UK. It seems a quality brand like Evo- Stick, though. Quality control is an important part of making sure the product is consistent. I would steer people away from unbranded PVA glues....truly the quality of those is so variable!

Sailfree likes this.
  16. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

I recently bought a rare Promo LP of the Eagles' Desperado, and the vinyl didn't look that great (not too bad either), so I cleaned it with alcohol, let it dry, and began to play the record. I bet there are close to 100 clicks in just the first half of Side One! And I thought "I don't have a vacuum cleaning machine, so, desperate times call for desperate measures." Would wood glue be a good idea to deaden/eliminate the extremely annoying pops and clicks? I'm desperate for anything at this point. (and it doesn't help that there is a massive surface scuff on Side Two...) Any help is highly appreciated!

17. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I've wood glued a couple lps and I have noticed a definite reduction in noise that was there even after several wet cleanings on my VPI RCM. If you are careful, the wood glue treatment does work, but results are going to vary to different degrees.

18. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Am intrigued . How does it work? Obviously you get the wood glue ( white stuff?) smear it over playing surface. Leave dry. Peel off? Is this how its done?

19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Pretty much. Titebond II only. It's very effective. As for OP, I'd recommend doing a very thorough pre-rinse first just to get whatever you can off. Then the glue. Should make a pretty major improvement.

20. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Great thread idea. Don't think this one has been covered before.

Bob_in_OKC and MrRom92 like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Don't fear the glue! It isn't a last resort... or dangerous. Just be sure to get Titebond II, keep it off the label. Once you've done it, there's no better way to get rid of dirt, and especially ticks - which are usually debris stuck in the groove.

Tommyboy likes this.
  22. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Would be a pretty boring forum if we only discussed new topics. Steve could shut down the servers and host no his smartphone! :)

I've cleaned a good number of records with wood glue. It works pretty well, just have a plan on dealing with the static it will create. I would plan on wet cleaning after the glue.

Might watch CL for an old beat up direct drive, a DJ abused 1200 works great, I actually put the record on my 1200, drizzle on the TiteBond II and use a credit card to spread the glue as the record turns. You want it fairly thick and even 1/16" or so. Let it dry completely until it turns transparentish and it peels off easier than you would think.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Okay as a last resort method, but that's about it.

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Why? It's cheaper and less complicated than a dedicated vacuum and solution method. There's an urban myth around here that this is crazy... It actually makes perfect sense.

25. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Well, it's not complicated, but it's not exactly a quick turn in the spin clean either!

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.