The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I wouldn't worry about too long. I've only done very non-scientific tests, but I have left TBII on for months at a time without issue and I've tried all sorts of different vinyl formulations. In the same period of time, an outgassing PVC sleeve in contact with the disc would have absolutely destroyed it.

eddiel likes this.
  2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Can't imagine what. Unless the disc wasn't actually vinyl...

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd assume it is since it's a Capitol pressing, grey label era. Maybe there's an issue with the vinyl formulation? I'm taking wild guesses here though :)

4. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

No, I didn't read the whole thread but I'm well aware of the glue gig. I just can't get past the thought of purchasing wood glue, pouring it on an album, smearing it all around, wait for it to dry then peel it all off just (in hopes) to have a clean record.

How does one handle their record during this process? I don't even want to touch my records let alone man handle them putting some gooey, messy, sticky substance on them.

Maybe records should come with a warning on their label, like, this record may exhibit occasional cracks and pops.

What's next, putting them in the dishwasher? Let me guess, that's been done too?

Bill Why Man likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

:agree:

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. OK, it's not for you.

7. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Someone should make plastic dowel rods to hold the records in place so they don't get blasted all around. I'm impressed the labels remained intact and the records looked really clean. I always loved those Phillips record labels too.

Anyone want to report back on how well this system works? I mean, without all of that deliberate non-sense the YouTube guy went through? I bet it works!

8. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Pretty sure the dishwasher video is a joke.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How about you try, and report back to us.
    ;)

10. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Every once in a while someone shows up with your attitude. Why bother? It's not your record, you clearly don't care...let me guess. You have an undying need to lecture us on how stupid we are and how much smarter you are? Ok you've done it, you feel better right? Good. So now you can go away so we can have a nice conversation like the one we were having before you showed up with your attitude.

I'm so bored of crap like this.

12. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

So I was bored today and couldn't wait for my $6 lazy susan to arrive. Put a free album on my tt, Bob Segar Live, and figured what could possibly go wrong... um...don't use a nice tt for this unless you're careful. Got a little glue on the table but it wiped off fine. Long and short of this is that, after about 8 hours - used too much glue - peeled it off and you could see the fine gunk it picked up. I was shocked. I then cleaned the album again using my standard method, put the album on after drying, not a single pop, hiss, etc. sounds perfect! I would do it again on an album that has issues. Certainly not something I would do on a regular basis.

Tommyboy and EmmEff like this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The problem is the glue gunk it *left* in the grooves.

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

There won't be any glue left in the grooves if done right.

Tommyboy, arisinwind and McGuy like this.
  15. McGuy

I had no gunk left. Have to really let it dry though. Completely clear.

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

We were talking about the glue cleaning method today and my friend remembered a record collectors blog where he tried it and put the record (before and after) under a microscope to see just how well it cleaned and he did indeed find glue left at the bottom of the grooves.

But not everyone reports that so who knows.

I tried it once and it didn't work that well for me. Used the recommended glue, etc. as per this forums various threads. It pealed fine but there was some weird after effect on the vinyl. The sound was worse and had a hazy background shhhh sound throughout and in the deadwax area I could see the outline of where the glue was. No one else seems to have experienced that either. Can't figure out what went wrong.

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thats exactly what happened to me. The stylus would have gunk on it whenever I played the record. luckily it was an Lp I had 2 other copies of, in better shape.

18. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

I've been meaning to try this on several albums I've acquired that I have been unsuccessful in noise removal via my usual cleaning methods (Tergikleen, distilled water rinse, vacuum on Record Doctor V). I recently acquired a Technics tt (that replaced a cheapo Audio Technica AT LP60) with a newer Shure cartridge and was hoping that would make a difference. It has definitely made a difference in sound quality, but the hissing,pops, and cracks are still there are some of the albums.

Anyone else have a positive experience with gluing? Would it make a difference if I glued, then went through my usual cleaning methods (in terms of removing glue residue)? I don't want to gum up a new stylus. I have the Tite-Bond II glue here, just waiting to try out. What's the best method of applying? I presume there are videos on YouTube.....

19. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

The problem with this method is that if just a small glob of glue residue was left in the grooves it could have a catastrophic result....cantilever damage!
    It's simply not a practical or attractive method in my humble opinion.

20. McGuy

just checked my stylus, granted I used a magnifying glass, no gunk at all on it. record does play better to my ears. again, wouldn't do this unless there were serious issues with an album. or you just want to take some crappy album and do it for fun. I used gorilla glue. elmer's is probably better as it's thinner.

21. McGuy

I tried the glue method yesterday. had a fun time cleaning my plinth afterward. BUT, after waiting 8 hours for it to dry - I used too much glue I think, record came out great. no more pops, crackles or hissing on an old Bob Segar live album. And I checked the stylus after playing the album, no gunk at all on it. I did clean the record again after the glue method. It does work, it takes a lot of waiting time. I'd only do this on really really bad albums.

22. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Didn't you use some other glue than the recommended wood glue TiteBond II?

23. McGuy

Gorilla. wasn't thinking about that part at the time...

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just put up with the inherent imperfections.

timind and McGuy like this.
  25. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I tried the glue method on about 6 records with little change in sonics. But my method of soaking records in warm water, dish soap and distilled white vinegar has made countless records sound better. Some have gone from about a G+ to VG+. I use one of those UFO things to protect the labels and a MoFi Brush after soaking them for 5 minutes.

EDIT: This method is used only after the Spin Clean proves ineffective.

McGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.