The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I've had this happen too - you really hope against hope that it'll do the trick, but if the vinyl is shot, it's shot.

I've always lamented how much I hate dirty records - I'm probably even a little too fussy about what should be perfectly acceptable levels of noise - but I don't think my problem is really dirt and grime. There's a lot of trashed records out there.

2. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

See that's the problem....at what point do you know it's dirt or static or just a trashed record? I don't how you can really tell. Like I said in another post, I've had pristine lps play like crap and scuffed up ones sound amazing. Go figure.

eddiel and jimbutsu like this.
  3. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

got a copy of Brothers In Arms that has had 3 goes through a vacuum cleaning regime and still sounding no better. Im thinking a glue method is the only other option to try but would it just be better to buy another copy?

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Glue method is cheap. Give it a shot, and if it's still bad, then yeah, new copy.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  5. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

All my worst sounding records, with only a couple exceptions that spring to mind, look brand new.

6. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

Crazy!

7. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

Has anyone else ever had the tabs (I used printer paper strips I tore off) leave non-audible marks on the vinyl after the glue was peeled?

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Makes sense. If they always sounded like crap, they'd get played, and handled, less.

9. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I'm a professional chemist. There is nothing wrong with using wood glue for cleaning records. It will remove nearly all types of debris and leave behind no debris itself (unless applied too thinly, but you can always reapply and remove any stuck pieces). It is best to use a branded version to get consistency in quality. It is simple to apply and remove. No need to involve turntables or Lazy Susan's. Apply with a credit card or similar. After removing the glue carcass, ensure discharge of any static. Place in a new record inner (Japanese), relax and enjoy.

10. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

I suppose you could do the wood glue method and then a wet clean.

11. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Not needed. I wouldn't advise doing a wet clean. Not unless you own a machine that is of the quality of a Keith Monks, say. Even then, not needed. The gluing method is the best method, as used by the BBC to clean their archival records.

Aftermath and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Wow, the BBC is doing it too now? Had no idea about that, cool stuff. Definitely legitimizes it a bit, take that naysayers. Titebond II? Or some custom formulation they've come up with?

13. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

How did you even hear of that? Just curious.
    I would never have imagined it. The wood glue method takes soooooo long, I would have figured they used an ultrasonic or VPI or something similar.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The BBC was doing this for years.

MrRom92 likes this.
  15. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's only a matter of time before somebody here tries this for record cleaning....

Vinyl Addict and Johnny Rocker like this.
  16. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Nah man, get you a belt sander,:righton:J/k bro, the automotive parts store has some Clay for removing crap from car's paint, try some it might be less harsh.[​IMG] :righton:

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Clay is still abrasive...or is that part of the joke?

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. Johnny Rocker

That depends on what on that lp, if it is cashed, its cashed, I figured its gentle enough and strong enough to remove crap from a paint job, it should be ok for a record. Always experiment on a sacrificial record with crap on it then if it works then try it on the damaged item......[​IMG]

MMM likes this.
  19. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That stuff is made to be wiped back and forth on your cars paint to remove any impurities, thus making the paint feel smooth to the touch.
    It's not like a silly putty that you squish down on the paint.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Johnny Rocker likes this.
  20. Johnny Rocker

Thanx bro, I'm now learned. I always inspect a purchase before I buy it. I noticed folks out there getting scammed, so I threw in my 2 cents. Folks if your are purchasing something, keep the receipt so if your purchase is bogus, take it back.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No it isn't.

I wouldn't bother using this method as an everyday clean and I don't even think it's necessary at all unless you don't have a good RCM and by good I mean anything with a vacuum operation. It could be a DIY home job but if you have a vacuum and a decent cleaning solution it will take care of your needs. An RCM will take care of almost all your dirty records.

In cases where your record is still full of ticks and pops after a an RCM clean you can give this method a try because you really have nothing to loose but don't be surprised if it doesn't help because chances are that record is toast and nothing will bring it back form the dead.

If the BBC is using this method I'd like to see another source on that so it doesn't turn out to be one guy said, several repeated it elsewhere and now it becomes fact. But if they really are someone should tell them to stop wasting their time as it's pointless to use this method on 99.99% of cases.-

Note: I'm not saying wood glue is stupid to use. I have used it myself and in that .01% of cases where I have nothing to lose I'll give it a try if I can be bothered to waste my time on it. But it isn't the best way to clean a record by any stretch of the imagination.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well technically they already are minus the charcoal and peppermint since she uses wood glue as her base :)

23. Johnny Rocker

• I'm still confused about glue for cleaning a record. If you loose attention and have to run and do something else, the glue will dry, and you are stuck with a worthless piece of junk. Where are you folks purchasing these crusty used records? The junk yard?[​IMG]

24. Johnny Rocker

try this....

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The whole point of this method is to let the glue dry. It doesn't work if you try and remove the glue while it's wet. After drying the glue is easily removed since it's dried. It doesn't actually bond to the vinyl because of the type of glue used.

timztunz, GentleSenator and H8SLKC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.