The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If I cleaned my records like that I'd have a collection of records with totally ruined labels and even worse sound due to the tap water in my area. I don't know how anyone cleaning records like that has managed to avoid destroying labels unless they're mostly buying records pressed post 1980 or something.

I bet if we went through his collection we'd find quite a few water damaged labels.

timztunz likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Wait.
    What?

H8SLKC likes this.
  3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Say you put glue on an album to clean it, then your phone rings, or someone is at the door, after you handle your bizness, you come back to find the glue rock solid, then your troubles are just starting.:cool:

4. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

no you need to let the glue dry before peeling anyway.
    (takes around 8h)

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

No no no Johnny :cool:

Apply the glue, LET IT DRY COMPLETELY, then peel it off the record. The glue needs to be dry all the way through. You'll see it change to a more clear color. When I did it, I let it dry overnight.
    Once it's dry, it will peel off in one big sheet.
    :righton:

Personally, I've only done this for one record though (once on both sides) and I didn't see any difference, but I had already cleaned the record 3x already before using the glue.:shrug:

6. I think this is the moment to share my video once again, for those visitors of this thread who haven't seen it yet:

Tommyboy and Johnny Rocker like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I seriously don't know if you're just pulling out leg or genuinely don't know how it all works. The glue doesn't dry rock solid. If you've watched any of the videos showing how it's done you can clearly see it's not "rock solid" but very pliable. It's more like a piece of rubber than anything solid. There's really no major troubles starting if you do it properly.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You can definitely hear a difference. But the question is, would the results have been the same with an RCM? I'd say yeah they most likely would've and that was really the point of my post above.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Does it work? Yes.

Would I do it again? No, only as an absolute last resort. Too much of a PITA.

Does it create static, forcing you to RCM clean the record afterwards? Yes.

Does it hurt your records? I can't say.

10. Johnny Rocker

You must be using elmers style wood glue, I use the stuff for Balsa wood Rc airplanes, and model rockets, its like super glue, I can see where the elmers glue would work.:cool:[​IMG] [​IMG] Got ya' bro, I haven't used Elmers glue in ages.....:biglaugh:

11. Vinyl Addict

Oooooh, yeah, don't use that stuff. :eek::shake:
    You want Titebond II carpenter's wood glue from any hardware store. :cheers:

sami and Johnny Rocker like this.
  12. Johnny Rocker

[​IMG] [​IMG] <<<<Wood glue, there are many types, you guys were talking the elmers style glue, which is indeed rubbery, so you are correct. I use hobby grade, for my many hobbys. Its been ages since I used elmers style glue, so I had an old man brain fart when yall said wood glue.;)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Vinyl Addict

I honestly thought you were pulling our legs as well...until I saw the airplane wood glue you were thinking of.
    :bigeek:

14. Johnny Rocker

I'm learning something, I didn't know retailers were selling dirty used lp's, I will keep my eyes open to this scenario incase I want to set up my pioneer record player....:cool:

15. Johnny Rocker

I do like to pull peoples chains. But when it comes to the tech info's I stick with the correct info's. I know a few things too.:cool:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

:cheers:

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  17. Johnny Rocker

18. Did you read any posts in the thread or just the title?

19. Johnny Rocker

I read a few, and as a bonus I read the title too, so with that in mind, I had an olde man's brain fart, and thought they were using hobby grade wood glue instead of elemers wood glue.[​IMG]

20. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I haven't read through all the comments in this thread, but here is my two cents-

I recently got a German copy of Queen's Greatest Hits that looked okay but played with a lot of crackle. I had tried the Titebond II wood glue trick on a couple of LPs before (with varying success) so I decided to use it on this album. Unfortunately my efforts failed miserably. It may be because-

1- The glue I used was from an older bottle I bought about six years ago and was about half full

2- I applied a thicker coat than I should have, and when I did I didn't use a turntable, just a covered table top. Plus, I smoothed it out with my finger instead of a card.

3- As a result, the glue didn't completely dry for over 48 hours. When I tried to peel it off, it was very difficult to do without bending the record itself. As it was I gave up halfway through.

At any rate, even though I have been able to do the wood glue trick in the past, I screwed it up this time.

21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

48 hours is a lot of time. Mine are always completely dry in 24 hours. And, I’ve never smoothed it with a card, always used my finger. Maybe the glue was too old or was applied too thick. Get some new TiteBond II and reapply. A new layer of glue should bond with any remaining old glue and get pulled away when pulling it off.

22. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

But how's sloaches going to get the heavy glue off now?

23. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Unfortunately, the Queen record is a loss since my efforts to remove the wood glue wound up warping it. Besides, the glue ain't coming off.

24. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm sorry about your loss. Not being facetious.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Like I previously said, “A new layer of glue should bond with any remaining old glue and get pulled away when pulling it off”. But since the LP has been ruined, it no longer matters.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.