The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It works well if you put on a thick layer. If you put on a thin layer, you will spend an eternity picking the little flakes off of the record.

2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

:laugh:

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I watched a video of this just yesterday - but could not track it down through the browser History. The person held the glue tube upside down, and started from the label with one long spiral, adjacent lines of glue touching. Then spread it when finished. A lot of glue!

4. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yikes:

5. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Well, these things happen occasionally. Won't hold it against you.

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Why use distilled water, iso alcohol, and a 2-3 minutes of time when one can use a unknown hodge podge of elements and more labor?

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I see you're in Toronto, so I thought I'd mention a little discovery I've made. ahwile back, our local IGA supermarket had a promotional give away of an eco-friendly dishwashing liquid called "Attitude." I noticed that it seemed to get dishes incredibly clean to the touch so I decided to try it on some stubborn vinyl I wasn't able to get clean with my usual regimen or mofi cleaners. I simply mixed a couple of squirts with distilled water in a spray bottle and sprayed on a brush, applied to the records then rinsed thoroughly (Brita filtered tap water). Then I dried the LPs with a microfibre cloth and stood them to dry on a great rack (designed for cutting boards but the perfect size for LPs) I found at a Kitchen supply store (Ares). I have to say it's the best manual cleaning I've yet achieved. So, if you have an IGA or Sobeys supermarket, you might check this out. I just did s quick Google and saw that Canadian Tire also stock it (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...de%2BDishwashing%2BLiquid%252C%2B500%2BmL.jsp). I was a bit taken aback about the "essential oils" part, but as I said, the results were very good. I wouldn't try it on a new audiophile pressing (although some of them are (sadly) noisy enough that they might benefit from it), but for records where nothing else worked, it's worth a try. I've also had good results with Simple Green, a degreaser I saw former forum member pbthal mention once.

9. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

From what I understand, using wood glue works but it is pretty finicky. Its basically the same idea as cleaning optics with collodion and has the same problems with flaking off in little bits instead of coming up as one piece with all the dirt and dust. In fact, if I were to do it I would try the cheesecloth trick that is in this article about cleaning optics.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1304

Personally I found that distilled water from a handheld steamer works really well and is just as shocking when people see you do it. I used to use that method all the time before getting a RCM. It doesn't melt the record unless you keep the nozzle in one place for a long time since by the time the water droplets reach the record they are much cooler than the melting point of the vinyl. Its basically just a good way to get very warm water forced deep into the grooves to get the grunge out.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I have used the woodglue on a few old rockabilly 45s. They had been left outside of the covers probably most of their lives. Visually they looked like G or VG- but after the woodglue they played for the most part VG but I still wouldn't use them on my good turntable. I have a Columbia GP3 portable that they sound pretty good on, and I will throw them in my jukebox when it's up and running. I have yet to try this on an LP as I think my VPI does a good enough job and any noise after that is probably the pressing or just wear on the vinyl.

11. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

I don't think there is any reason to bash AK here. You should add this info to the thread over there so that others do not encounter the same fate. The glue thing has never appealed to me so I never tried it. I buy clean vinyl :).

Best,
    Rick

12. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Similar results here. For me it took a couple of days for the glue to dry enough to remove from the LP, and then it came off in pieces. I then rinsed it off and played it with the cheap cartridge in my workshop system, and the results were not impressive. Next stop was the trash can.

13. TigerMMG

TigerMMG New Member

How about dunking that LP into water and dishsoap to let it soak... see if that removes the woodglue.

14. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

Oh no. Did they make the original Star Wars into a cheesy television series?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

"Lord Vadar, sir....... I called Alderaan Pizza and tried to place your order, but they're telling me that they're out of anchovies at the moment, and they also said they don't deliver to this sector, sir......"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

15. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

The thread I saw on this mentioned certain types of glue that they tried. I know that it only works with the right type, and I know that it has to be a thick layer, otherwise, as some of you said, it's a pain to get off once it's dried.

Now, I assume this won't fix inner-groove distortion (or outer for that matter), but the thread I saw had before-and-after samples that sounded damn convincing to me. I'll try it at some point, but I've just had bigger fish to fry. AK's a great site, and certainly not to blame whether this works or not, but I've had people swear up and down to me that this works and works well.

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Anyone interested in watching the video just do a search on GlueTube:sigh:

17. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It works best on records with impacted dirt, mainly 45s that have been without sleeves for a long time. When no other cleaning will get that impacted dirt out, it's time for Elmer's.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I use wood glue on the seams of the cover but not the actual lp.

19. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

works best with school craft glue, some wood glues set to stiff & brittle, I have had loads of records "saved" this way works a treat but you need a bit of patience & practice on less valuable records first

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

:laugh::laugh:

excellent :D:D, I'll put all of the new Hendrix issues under the glue treatment if you do that (will need photographic evidence of course)

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I think the residue had more to do with it coming off in pieces, I used Lepage "White Glue" from Home Depot.

22. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Glue

Geez, there is no reason on earth to even try this when a few hand cleanings will remove 90% of the gunk in any record and wont damage it.

Any good enzime cleaner will dissolve most of the crud in the grooves. After that rinse, rinse, rinse under good water pressure. Your Lp will be near spotless.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I would need Jack Bauer to track them down, those LP's were tossed this morning.

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, just apply a thick layer of Elmer's and then clean normally?

25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Let's hope you don't come unstuck!

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.