The Wood Glue vinyl cleaning method

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by alan909, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

No, let it dry and then peel it.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Apply glue, then stick record to wall......."Record Art" is the only thing you'll be able to use the record for after you try to clean it this way!!!

JP Christian likes this.
  3. Considering how bad 24's been this season, that would be an improvement!

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just to be clear, we're talking about carpenter's wood glue, or the kid's stuff?

Have you tried it?

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Either one, as long as they are water-based. Don't use contact glue.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Did not work for me. If you really know something, please post it. No need to be obscure or sigh in the corner.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Glue, Glue, My Love is Glue....

>>>>yes, Grant, I did on a junker record. The glue did peel off, BUT it left some kind of milky film in the grooves that I couldnt even scrub off. Forget it.

A proper hand washing will get your records spotlessly clean.

8. Grant

I'm gonna try it on a 45 I don't care about and see how it goes. Nothing to lose, right?

9. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Yep I had the same thought. Disaster waiting to happen.

10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

This has been a 'sticky thread' on AudioKarma for years.

IMO, if the record is that bad I wouldn't waste my time if thorough washing couldn't remove the noise. I'd rather use my power washer and have more fun.

11. rito25

rito25 New Member

I use this method all the time works great. I use Elmers wood glues and spread it the record with an old credit card.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

How much does in cost?

13. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

There were a few 'specially formulated' cleaners that worked like this about 20 years ago. DiscFilm was one such. They all seem to have vanished from the market, and any remaining stuff became unusable in the bottle quite quickly.

They sort of worked, but I preferred wet cleaning. Some left noisy residue, more so when old. Elmer's seems sort of water based, so at least it doesn't affect the record surface.

one gets mentioned in this old thread: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-126115.html

14. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

kids stuff works best for me the washable kind

or you could waste money on this

record-revirginizer-facial-peel-for-records

15. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I use Titebond II. I've never had any issue with residue left behind. I've done some before and after recordings to compare the results. On some albums it doesn't do all that much but on others - wow! On my mono Australian Sgt. Pepper the results were amazing.

Jane Scranton likes this.
  16. Grant

I am trying it with some Elmer's all-purpose glue. It sure is taking a long time to dry and turn clear.

17. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

I've experimented with this a bit, and I've had the same experience as BobbyS, with the same type of glue (Titebond II). I've tried all three consistencies of Titebond, and 2 seems to work the best. It's worth an experiment if you have an LP that has encrusted dirt in the grooves that's not getting out with a good cleaning.

I've never had an issue with residue, and if you get a careful start I've always been able to get the glue off in one piece. It's trial and error, but I've never really had to put a really thick coat on...in fact, a thicker coat takes forever to dry, and doesn't really do a better job.

Titebond II is available (where I live, anyway) at Sears in a small-size bottle (2 bucks and change, will clean a few sides) and at Lowe's in various sizes (up to a gallon, I think). It's not a "miracle cleaner" or anything; in fact, I would suggest a good washing before I would try this method. But for LP's that would otherwise be trashed it's worth a go.

18. Big Al

Big Al Active Member

Same here. A nice thick layer seems to do the trick. Sometimes a record is so scratchy that it doesn't make a difference, but there have been more than a few records where the difference has been night and day. No dusty residue left behind, either.

19. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

FWIW, ive used the glue method for the better half of a year since discovering that AK thread. i started out on TBIII i use II now tho, same effect, somewhat less expensive. it has left NO residue. ever. it spreads easily. it peels easily. and it is nothing short of revelatory. i use it on many of my Y&B parlophones and there is a near elimination of any noise floor. use the right glue with the right method. youll be glad you did. only downside for me is that it is expensive to spend $15 on bottles of glue every 6 months or so, but i dont do it often, only on trashed LPs that need it, or special ones that could be improved. the only time ive ever had to do a multiple application is on a mono Red Garland record (prestige) that had recycled vinyl (label) embedded in the groove. it removed it, but the spot plays with a click. still, an improvement.
    do it. best thing ive ever done for my vinyl
    you wont look back

20. Grant

Update: The 45 came out a bit cleaner, and I was able to make a cleaner transfer to the computer for further cleanup. One lesson I learned: don't put on as much glue as they say to.

21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

ive had trouble doing it on 45s safely and effectively. its hard to apply it, without getting it all over. ive already sacrificed a capitol beach boys 45. no big deal. but its going to take a lot of practice with some junkers before i spread it on those beatles EPs i have, or the red parlophone Love Me Do with Ringo on the drums.
    lp cleaning is relatively easy tho, very simple to do effectively, especially using the stiff plastic card to spread it as the TT spins

Jane Scranton likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We're arguing about this on the BSN group now as well. The central problem to me is, glue was intended to adhere to things -- not to be peeled off and pull out dirt. The potential for chemical reactions between the glue and the polyvinyl chloride seem disastrous to me.

What are the specific advantages of cleaning a record with wood glue vs. a top-flight wet vacuum cleaner? (Aside from cost.)

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

NONE in my very limited experience with this experiment....don't do it unless you have some lp's that you're willing to sacrifice to the vinyl gods.

24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

How about for deep scratches and skips? Can I just leave the glue on it to fill in the trenches and play it?

;)

25. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

OK, I decided this past week to try out Titebond II on some filthy but unscratched LPs I got for .25 each: Emmylou Harris' "Blue Kentucky Girl", a couple of recordings of baroque-era music by the Academy of Ancient Music. The Emmylou record was particularly filthy. That one I actually cleaned twice, since I used it for my guinea pig for learning the most effective way to spread out the glue, which I did with an old insurance card.

I let the glue dry on each for about 6 hours (I'm sure it'll be more for you guys living in a humid area), and by Jove, it worked like a charm! As I said, these records weren't scratched, and the gunk was neatly lifted off when I peeled the dried glue off (the first time I didn't get it all in one piece, but the other attempts were successful in this regard). I wish I had taken a picture of the underside of the Emmylou record's glue "skin"...a dingy, sickly yellow. All 3 play smoothly now, which they certainly didn't before.

I'm sure there would be even more benefit in conjunction with something like the Gem Dandy water cleaner, but this is certainly a cheap and effective way to get crap off a dirty record. Of course, the time spent waiting for them to dry so you can flip them over and spread some more glue is the real drawback, as well as having room to lay out lots of LPs.

I didn't leave the glue on for any longer than it took to it to set firmly and turn a thin yellow color, so I can't speak to any possible damage to the vinyl itself. And don't spread it too thickly...a thin, consistent layer will draw faster and pull off smoothly. Spreading it right to the edges will help in pulling it off when dry...I just cracked the seal with a fingernail and off it all came.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.