The worst cartoons of the 90's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Exactly! I remember it all. There was always something awesome and worthwhile to catch on there back then, day OR night! I could watch the old Cartoon Network 24 hours a day, and never get bored! I can't say the same for what the channel has degraded into now. It's nothing like it used to be. No cool bumpers between shows, no exciting promos to hype you up for upcoming series, and most importantly: Nothing good to even watch! I swear, the terrible animation styles these days makes me want to vomit. Good Lord, it's beyond bad! Beyond horrible, it's an abomination!

But yeah, the old days really were something special.

R.I.P Old Cartoon Network. 1992-2007

2. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

we know

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yep. In short, I think they dumbed it down, went for less "controversial" and esoteric cartoons and aimed it at a 5-to-7 y/o audience. Once they did that and cut out all the innuendo and borderline stuff, and the new shows they started putting out were just garbage. For example, the Power Puffs were good at first but they suffered from too much success once they got spotlighted as the new "hip" cartoon. In my perspective, they actually started off as a cartoon aimed at a college-aged crowd. But after success came they made it more like a little kid show rather than an edgy show that had references to The Beatles and The Big Lebowski. And it all went downhill from there. Very sad considering how creative and offbeat they were at the start, and especially those first five years. It was downright psychedelic!

DiabloG and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  4. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Spot on. The original PowerPuff Girls is hands down one of my favorite cartoons to come out of the 90's. A very fun show! Or "Psychedelic" as you described it. The old episodes never really get "old" ironically. Hehe. But it was around when they decided to make the PPG movie (2002) when I noticed everything start to take a nosedive in terms of overall quality and edginess. I remember Craig McCracken himself jumped ship around this time, and let Cartoon Network take over the animation from there. And it was never the same after that. The worst thing that ever happened to the franchise is that damned reboot! *Shivers* Ugghh. It's pretty much the complete opposite of what the original was. But at least I'll always have memories of the old PPG, in the form of VHS recordings and DVDs. Same goes for lots of other shows and cartoons from that time period.

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Some of my own personal examples are going to tick people off here, BUT ,
    Most WB "comedy" shows for over using celeb references, especially concerning the fact that they were to modern day culture (although I'm one that didn't mind the Marx Bros. or some other refences, to classics, but then there's the pretending to be original issue)

Any Klasky Csupo (non-Fox) stuff

Likewise, a lot of post-Ren and Stimpy grosss stuff (I do like REN AND STIMPY, BEAVIS/BUTTTHEAD, and in a certain conceptual wasy SOUTH PARK due to its turning out to be more anti-liberal than liberal...the same idea behind the same people's TEAM AMERICA..)

Most shows (exception: BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, WB) spun off of movies or other pop culture (WISH KID, PROSTARS, [that very early 1990s sports related one] etc.)

LITTLE ROSEY with an animated single digit age Roseanne Barr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.