The Worst of the Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

As much as I *hate* to say it, and as ridiculous/pretentious as it can sound to say... in a modern context it's unquestioningly brilliant. but do you think when it first hit that the music buying public just "wasn't ready" for it? Like maybe this primed the pump and without it people woudln't have been as comfortable with Sgt. Pepper's (as an example)?

I'm not of the age where I know either one as anything other than a masterpiece, so I have no context for how Pet Sounds *couldn't* be anything other than awe-inspiring.

Sorry for threadcrapping by talking up a Beach Boys album, btw. :)

longaway and Folknik like this.
  2. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

From that list, I can say I truly like Chug-A-Lug, Gettin' Hungry, Little Pad, I'd Love Just Once To See You, Never Learn Not To Love, Take A Load Off Your Feet, Chapel Of Love and Shortenin' Bread. I think those are good, funny and enjoyable songs and I never skip them. I'm not saying they are masterpieces or that they could have been hit singles but I enjoy them. I can't say the same thing about Kokomo (which WAS a hit) and Summer of Love.

Folknik likes this.
  3. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Not sure Pet Sounds was really hated, hit Top 10 and had some hit songs on it. Smiley Smile is where the real problems start, hitting 41 on the charts (much better in the UK).

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A bit of that, and perhaps a bit of the singles not fitting in on AM radio. I mean, "California Girls" was a masterpiece and musical step up for Brian, but still easily fit the BBoys image, whereas the Pet Sounds stuff, as fluffy as "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is, was pretty far removed from their established image.

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I really like Adult Child. For me, it's their second weirdest album (their weirdest being Smiley Smile which I love), but as much as I like it, I can see why their label wouldn't release it. It would have been a letdown after Love You.

starduster likes this.
  6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

A cigarette butt
    When you throw it in the water
    Goes PSSSHT
    -Brian Douglas Wilson, genius

7. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

"Match Point of Our Love"
    "Hey Little Tomboy"
    "Student Demonstration Time"
    "Here Comes The Night" (LA Light Disco version)

Other than that, there's Beach Boys magic in every other officially released track. There's even Beach Boys magic in the above tracks, but I just can't get passed the lyrics. Not all classics, but something good in the rest of the catalog. "Lazy Lizzie" for example, which hasn't been officially released, is catchy as heck (and elements of it are used on Mt. Vernon). "Chug-a-Lug" isn't a good song, but has the growing seed of Beach Boys magic.

I love the aborted '77 Christmas Album. Hence, I really enjoy most of MIU/LA Light! Not the best of The Beach Boys, but except for the two tracks mentioned above, no other "worsts" on there.

I'm not a fan of "When Girls Get Together", but it's not the worst.

Jeff

8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Everything on M.I.U. & Keepin' the Summer Alive.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Other way around - "Lazy Lizzie" reused the "pied piper, better get back in bed" melody from Mt. Vernon.

And seriously.... have you actually paid attention to the lyrics? Being catchy doesn't excuse them. :p

10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

EVERYTHING? You're missing some great tracks! The title track/opener on "KTSA" alone is worth the price of admission... same with "She's Got Rhythm" that opens MIU.

Well, to each their own... that's what the "worst" is all about, right?

Jeff

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Never Learn Not To Love is great Your wrong about that

longaway, jacethecrowl and starduster like this.
  12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This song is a beautiful snapshot of the teenage experience in early '60s suburban SoCal!

goodiesguy and Mechanical Man like this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I heard that playing this afternoon in record store & was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Too long without listening to some Beach Boys, I guess.

14. JohnnyQuest

I'm going try to get my significant other into the Beach Boys and I'll make sure to pass up on damn near everything post Smile.
    There are some songs that I'll show her like From There to Back Again,Do It Again,Forever, Be With Me,Til I Die,etc. but the majority of their work will be avoided.
    I don't want to tarnish the sunny image of the beach boys she has going on in her head.

15. This is a metaphor for the temporary nature of human existence. I thinks it's brilliant, or at least clever. Brian is most famous for his production and his melodies, not his lyrics. He is indeed a genius.

Hep Alien and GroovinGarrett like this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I like it. So ridiculous it defies description!

starduster likes this.
  17. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

All of the stupid album-filler songs, like "Bull Session With Big Daddy", "Our Favorite Recording Sessions", "Sumahama", "Match Point Of Our Love", most of the 1985 Beach Boys album...

Mr. H likes this.
  18. If you pass up on damn near everything post SMiLE you will miss about 35% of their greatest work. SMiLE is their magnum opus, But post-SMiLE is more interesting to me than Pre-SMiLE.

extravaganza likes this.
  19. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Most of those songs are good!

How about I'm Bugged At My old Man?

Jose Jones likes this.
  20. Brian's only Elvis impersonation and the story of his early years. What's not to like?

margaritatoldtom and drbeachboy like this.
  21. JohnnyQuest

It's just too embarrassing to go through. Instead of playing some of those god awful songs we'll just watch "An American Family" together. :)

22. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Please tell me what is embarrassing about songs like Sail On Sailor, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, The Trader, This Whole World, etc.? There is nothing embarrassing about any of the music released between 1967 and 1973.

23. JohnnyQuest

I don't want to list all of the songs I consider embarrassing. These are the guys that gave us Today,Pet Sounds & Smile Sessions.
    I have the utmost respect for Brian but once he lost creative control their music began to decline in quality as the years went by.
    If I played Wild Honey,Friends,20/20,etc. for her she would be absolutely lost. I don't want to scare her away from their music.

24. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Yes. it is, and that lick Carl Wilson does in the chorus, elevates it tremendously.

25. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Well, I just gave you songs from Sunflower, Surf's Up, and Holland. Plus, what's wrong with songs like Darlin' and Aren't You Glad from Wild Honey or Friends and Busy Doin' Nothin' from Friends or hits like Do It Again & I Can Hear Music from 20/20? There is nothing scary about any of those songs. My wife is not a big fan either, but she likes all of the songs that I referenced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.