The Worst of the Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbeachboy

drbeachboy Forum Resident

Carl's vocals are the best part of that recording. :)

Hep Alien and Jamey K like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

You're a lucky man. My girlfriend barely turned 20 and is part of the EDM crowd so it would be tougher for me to get her into their more bizarre material. She's more into the pop music that's very catchy and accessible.
    The songs that I would show her from that period Do It Again,Forever, Be With Me,Til I Die & Big Sur. That's just to name a few. From their latest album I'll play From There to Back Again and Summer's Gone.
    That's about it. I can't go any further.

3. drbeachboy

How about Darlin' and Marcella from In Concert? Power Pop at its best.

GroovinGarrett, Tristero and zebop like this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

Do I enjoy those songs and other post Smile songs? Yes. Will I show those to my significant other? Yes but only some.

5. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I dunno, Kokomo is cheesy as hell, but I was what 7-9 when it came out, so I have a soft spot for it....

I'd definitely but Annalee the Healer & Transcendental Meditation....but especially the former....2 songs that kill the otherwise chill and pretty great Friends album.

Be True to Your School, is one of those early BB tunes that are just so cheesy and of their time, that they are embarrassing to listen to with modern ears...

I'd put 409 in that same league...

6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Eh.........never mind.

7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Everyone's in love with you
    Student demo time
    She believes in love
    Winds of change
    TM song

I can't fault the early stuff because they were 17 when they recorded them.

Jose Jones likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

No. Please go on.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I can say, from decades of attempts with various women, that I have yet to find a woman who likes "Busy Doin' Nothing". That song doesn't seem to cut it with the ladies. I wonder what Marilyn thought of it?

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm 52 and only played the entire PET SOUNDS in full recently, for the first time. I was completely shocked at how weak I thought it was. Other than the hits on it, I was bored throughout. Whenever discussions arise as to what one feels is "The Most Overrated Album Of All Time", for me it has to be PET SOUNDS.

graystoke, numer9, Rfreeman and 2 others like this.
  11. Jose Jones

More Bad songs, some already mentioned, that I agree are bad and/or crap:

Gettin' Hungry
    Student Demonstration Time
    I'm Bugged At My Old Man
    How She Boogalood It
    You're So Good To Me
    Rock And Roll Music
    Ding Dang

12. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Contender:

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. drbeachboy

She likes the whole Friends album, along with L.A. (Light Album).

14. Jose Jones

Have you played her any more 'challenging' material? What does she think of the Mt Vernon & Fairway 'bonus' disc in the Holland package? Mrs O'Leary's Cow? Never Learn Not To Love?

15. drbeachboy

Oh yeah, she has heard everything. We have been married for 30 years, so she used to hearing me play all 50 years worth of music. She likes Wonderful and Wind Chimes from the Smile Sessions. She even likes some of the songs on Love You. I have to say that she never would play something like Smiley Smile on her own. ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

While I know many consider 'Beach Boys Love You' a Brian Wilson masterpiece, for me, a lot of it is painful.

17. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

For me their worst is found on the majority of their "Love You" and "MIU" albums.

18. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

If I recall correctly, Manson was pissed that they changed the words. He said once something along the lines of the music being changed wasn't an issue at all, but the words were "sacred" and shouldn't be touched. That set him off.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's been nice knowing you. A mob of Hoffmanites will be arriving to burn you at the stake soon.

I like Pet Sounds all right, but I wouldn't even rank it among the Beach Boys' top five albums.

Woodville likes this.
  20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Manson's version is readily available to hear:

I'd characterize the lyrical changes/additions as pretty minor. The bulk of the lyrics are the same in both versions.

21. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

How She Boogalood It.

I've never heard this one, but with a title as appallingly bad as this, I don't think I'll ever need to.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

I felt the same way when I listened it for the first time, and I didn't even care for the hits that much. It sounded like odd, schmaltzy even poorly recorded pop music. I gave it a few more chances because I felt like it deserved that much, and each time I heard something more, something I liked. It takes a while to sink in, especially if you're not much of a fan of the Beach Boys. But the genius is there, my friend. Now it's one of those albums that I listen all the way through, every time.

And the worst Beach Boys has to be that 80s Problem Child soundtrack song, so awful. Poor Carl in his jacket and buttoned up shirt, trying to add some measure of dignity to the proceedings.

goodiesguy and Hep Alien like this.
  23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It's great. Written by all the Beach Boys except Brian. It sounds like an outtake from Rock and Roll with Jonathon Richman and the Modern Lovers.

24. I nominate 'Transcendental Meditation'.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  25. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Would this count?Technically it's a solo record.

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.