"The Wrecking Crew" Eventual commercial release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by George Blair, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How many times does that ridiculous myth need to be debunked? :rolleyes:

2. Is that better?

3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two royalties: one for the sync rights (paid to the publisher) and one for the master rights (paid to the record label & artist). Usually, those fees are identical but there are always exceptions. There's some pretty modest songs that still get $50K or $100K whenever they're used in movies or TV shows; notoriously, "Happy Birthday" gets $20K just when it's sung by cast members.

In the unusual case like a documentary like Wrecking Crew, the producers try very hard to make a "most-favored nations" contract so that all songs get paid the exact same rate. Publishers usually hate this, but I think enough time has passed that everybody involved understands that this movie a) is not gonna make a ton of dough and b) exists to salute the artists and musicians who did the music, which puts it in an unusual position. I seem to recall they were able to negotiate a $50K per song rate that includes sync & master rights, so if there's 35 songs, they're looking at about $2 million in music rights... which is not impossible to pay.

Famously, the music budget for George Lucas' American Graffiti, which I think had more than 40 songs, was only about $400K. Those days are gone, because soon after that movie's success, all the publishers & labels realized how valuable their rights were.

I had lunch with a publisher's rep a couple of years ago, and she told me that they were structured in such a way that if you used a piece of a song or the whole song in a movie, you paid one fee. If you used the song three times in the same movie, you still only paid once. The exception would be a theme song, and that would be a separate negotiation.

minerwerks and Mister Charlie like this.
  5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Unfortunately their feud appears to be an ongoing thing, from what I've read online. :sigh:

Welcome back, Marc. ;)

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That's unfortunate, because all the movie can do is make Carol and the others more famous.

BluesOvertookMe and kevinsinnott like this.
  7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

:laugh:

MMM likes this.
  9. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Interestingly, I just heard how all the film excerpts shown in the documentary "Life Itself" (about film critic Roger Ebert) are claimed as "fair use." I wonder if any documentaries centered around music have ever tried to claim such a thing.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet that was still negotiated with the studios, and I'd also suspect that none of the studios wanted to be known as "the company that withheld permission from a documentary on the life and death of a great film critic." I'd also bet if you kept the length of the clip down to :10-:15 seconds, nobody's going to get too upset... but they'd still claim copyright on the clip (with signed permission, but at no cost).

11. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

One thing some of these great players miss when making claims pertaining to recorded parts is that they have a style and sound that is identifiable, and there's no way Carol Kaye did the advanced bass lines credited to James Jamerson. Same is true with my former drum teacher (whose name I won't mention) who claimed he redid all the early Beatle Stuff (I think we all know about the impossibility of seperating bass and drums on 2 trk in those days) and you could feel the daggers start to fly at clinics when he'd go into this. Again, I could pick him out of a line up of 100 drummers blindfolded, his style and sound is that defined. I don't doubt it was possibly one of Brian Epsteins groups (there is a signed check), but it's certainly not The Beatles. What's really sad is these people already have a wonderful discography and they don't need to pinch other musicians efforts!

MMM likes this.
  12. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Amazing drummer who, like Carole as a bassist, doesn't need to augment his actual history with anything. If he did record anything Beatle related, my guess (along with others) it's the overdubs on the Atco LP of Tony Sheridan era material, though I've never heard the overdubbed versions.

(Sorry to further make this a Beatles related thread).

13. Bumping this thread for an important update: Denny Tedesco revealed on the official Facebook page that he has inked a worldwide distribution deal for "The Wrecking Crew" with Magnolia Pictures...we should be hearing the details soon as to where and when this should be showing in commercial theaters and when it will be available on blu-ray/DVD!!!:goodie:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  14. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

15. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The "Happy Birthday" gravy train may be ending soon...

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2014/08/0...opyright-challenged-in-class-action/id=50684/

Derek

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, that was a bogus copyright if there ever was one. The people who own the rights had nothing to do with the songwriters -- they bought the song outright from the two sisters who claimed to write it, then copyrighted and spent the next 80-90 years chasing down royalties from people. I would bet this one song has made well over $50 million, easy -- over $1 million a year just in the last 20-30 years alone.

17. Denny Tedesco has posted on "The Wrecking Crew" Facebook page that Magnolia Pictures will be opening the film in limited release in Los Angeles & New York City on March 13th, 2015...other cities TBA... :righton:

Mark Nelson, MMM and Humbuster like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:goodie::goodie:

19. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

In the commentary for Kentucky Fried Movie, ZAZ claimed they had to pay $10k to use "Happy Birthday" for the scene where Sheldon sings it to remember his name. That was 37 years ago.

BTW, Denny Tedesco is on the lastest Dana Gould podcast discussing many details of making and distributing The Wrecking Crew.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sure wish I could have a premiere in my own living room. The Kickstarter was what, a year ago? And still no dvds for those of us that bought in.

rod likes this.
  21. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

2/9/2015

Latest update of Film Release, DVD/Download, and the Latest Grammy Win!
    Posted by Denny Tedesco
    Dear KS friends and supporters,
    I finally have a date for the DVD/Download date. Magnolia pictures is releasing the DVD on June 16th. Again I apologize for the delay. If you haven't checked, please make sure your name is on the website under kickstarter supporters. We are closing in on the DVD production phase. http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/kickstarter.php (ITS FIRST NAMES FIRST UNDER THE CONTRIBUTION)
    The best news of the evening is the song, "I'm Not Gonna Miss You", won a grammy tonight for best country song. This is the final song is the wonderful documentary about Glen's farewell tour. The song was recorded with Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, and Don Randi on piano. How fitting to have another grammy under all of their belts. Congrats to all of them.
    http://theboot.com/glen-campbell-im-not-gonna-miss-you-2015-grammy-awards-best-country-song/?trackback=fbshare_top
    I am trying to get as much publicity as possible to blow this film out. Small or big, I'm going for it. It was originally going to open in 5 cities but the buzz on the film that was created by all of you is helping it more. We are at nearly 30 cities.
    Below is a schedule of the release of the film. It is being released in various cities around North America first. It opens in Canada on February 20th and in the States on March 13th. Please tell your friends. It is also on ITUNES and various VOD platforms.
    February 20th,
    Toronto, Canada- Bloor Cinema
    Vancouver- Vancity
    Halifax, NS: Carbon Arc Cinema Co-op
    March 11th
    Hamilton, ON: Art Gallery Of Hamilton
    Saint John, NB: TIFF Film Circuit
    March 13th,
    Cambridge, MA: Kendall Square Cinema 9
    Denver, CO: Mayan Theatre
    New York, NY: IFC Center 5
    Santa Ana, CA: South Coast Village 3
    Tucson- The Loft Cinema
    West Los Angeles, CA: Nuart Theatre
    March 20th Jefferson City, MO: Capitol City Cinema
    San Diego, CA: Ken Cinema
    Santa Fe, NM: Jean Cocteau Cinema
    March 27th
    Berkeley, CA: Shattuck Cinemas 10
    Gainesville, FL: Hippodrome - Gainesville
    Phoenix, AZ: FilmBar
    San Francisco, CA: Opera Plaza Cinemas 4
    San Luis Obispo, CA: Palm Cinema
    Seattle, WA: SIFF Cinema at the Uptown
    April 3rd
    Palm Desert, CA: Cinemas Palme D'Or 7
    Spokane, WA: Magic Lantern Theatre
    April 8th Baton Rouge, LA: Manship Theatre
    April 9th Wichita, KS: Orpheum Theater
    April 10th Fort Worth, TX: Modern Art Museum of Forth Worth
    April 13th Bethlehem, PA: ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks
    April 14th Springfield, MO: Moxie Cinema 2
    April 20th Lafayette, LA: Acadiana Center for the Arts
    April 24th Albuquerque, NM: Guild

[​IMG]

23. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I went to the Vancouver screening on Feb.20.......really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

24. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Grammy Museum in Los Angeles is showing it w/ Denny & others in attendance w/ discussion afterwards, on Tuesday 3/10 7:30PM. Am going to see the updates in it as I saw it free a few summers ago outdoors downtown at Grand Performances.

25. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Dear Friends and family of Wrecking Crew,

We are now one week before we are released across the states which is still unreal to think we are a matter of days before the film is able to reach the masses either through a local theater, VOD or on iTunes. Someone asked if I could take a breath. Ask me in September. I don't want to just cross the finish line, but go through and past it. I want to blow it out.

Some were confused recently in regards to what Pledge Music is. It's not a fund raiser. It was an opportunity to pre-order the sound track as either a download, CD or LP. With that there are perks or gifts that go along with some of the exclusives. You can also order Ken Sharp's latest book, "Sound Explosion - Inside LA's Studio Factory with the Wrecking Crew". It is a 12"x12" coffee table book filled with amazing photographs and interviews of the session players, engineers, and artists of the day.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the recent perks that they just put together...
    The Wrecking Crew: "Once In A Lifetime Exclusive" We are excited to be offer a limited once in a lifetime exclusive.
    You say, "Once In A Lifetime?"
    Well yes!!...Click here

[​IMG]
    STUDIO TOUR
    Exclusive tour of the actual recording studio that many of the greatest hits were recorded by the Wrecking Crew.
      • Private screening of the Wrecking Crew Movie
      • Movie Theater Refreshments
      • Gift Bag
      • Tour of Studio - conducted by Don Randi
      • Plus a Q&A with Don Randi, Denny Tedesco

HISTORY
    In the days of The Wrecking Crew the studio was called "Western Recorders". To this day the studio boasts "Most #1 Records" to come out of any recording studio, including Abbey Road. There is so much music history here that the stories and songs are almost endless. Three of the main rooms in the studio have nicknames like "The Pet Sounds Room" (Studio 3) "The Sinatra Room" (Studio 1) and "The TV Show Themes Room" (Studio 2).

We have been so very lucky over the years and support of various sponsors. Amoeba Records and Fender have come together to help with the release of the film.

Amoeba Records is giving away a custom, limited edition Wrecking Crew Fender® Telecaster® guitar (photo right) in celebration of the documentary's release in Los Angeles and San Francisco! You can see the film when it opens March 13th in Los Angeles at the Nuart Theater or March 27th in San Francisco at the Opera Plaza Cinema and in Berkeley at the Shattuck Cinemas

You can win. Click here

Other Sponsors are helping out spreading the word and we hope to share other great products with our fan base. If you have any questions about branding or other opportunities with Wrecking Crew brand issues contact Greg McVeigh at GuestHouse Projects Inc., [email protected].

Below is a schedule of theatrical screenings that are scheduled as of today. This is changing as theaters are requesting the film to be shown at their venue. If you do not see a location near you and you can't wait until its released on DVD in June, you can see it on iTunes and various VOD platforms across the country.

This is very important that we blow it out the first week. If we do, we have a better chance of expanding to other markets as well as helping us expand the out takes of the DVD.

After 18 years I'm able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. This is the first time that it's starting to feel real. I'm speaking to press from all over the world and the focus is not only about the film but the journey it took to get here. I stress to them that we would not be here if it wasn't for the fans of the music, the musicians and the film. You've kept it alive during some some dark days. So I'm proud that there are so many of you at the receiving end of this email. You made this happen.

Some of you are fans on our Wrecking Crew Facebook Page. We are less than 800 fans away from 50,000 fans! If you're not on the Wrecking Crew Fan Page, we would love to have you. Each day we try to give trivia and updates about the WC Days. If you are fan already, please tell others. This has been a critical part of our success over the last few years. It helped build the fan base which proved the Wrecking Crew Film was never a niche project.

Read the feature article in today's Los Angeles Times.

We recently pulled the out takes from the website but as many of you know, I can't send out a blast without some kind of treat. Here is my last interview that I pulled off a couple of weeks ago. It's with Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. from the 5th Dimension. One of my favorite all time groups.

Exhausted,
    Denny

Upcoming Theatrical ScreeningsHere is the latest list of screenings around North America.

• On March 13th, I will be at the 7:30 screening for our Los Angeles Premiere which will include many of our cast from the movie.

3/11/2015
    Hamilton, ON: Art Gallery of Hamilton
    St. John, NB: TIFF Film Circuit

3/13/15 - 3/18/15
    West Los Angeles, CA: Nuart Theatre
    Los Angeles Premiere Screening at NUART Theater
    Join Wrecking Crew members Hal Blaine, Joe Osborn, Don Randi, Bill Pitman, and more of the cast of the movie March 13 at 7:30pm. Screenings at 2:30, 5:00, 7:30pm and 9:50pm. Denny Tedesco will appear for Q&As March 13 at 5:00pm and 7:30pm. Tickets still available for most showings! Come down and be a part of the celebration.

3/13/2015
    Calgary, AB: Globe Theater
    Cambridge, MA: Kendall Square Cinema 9
    Cincinnati, OH: Esquire Theater
    Dallas, TX: Landmark Theatres
    Fayetteville, NC: Cameo Theater
    Portland, OR: Hollywood Theatre
    New York, NY: IFC Center 5
    Santa Ana, CA: South Coast Village 3

3/17/15 - 3/19/15
    Kitchener, ON: Apollo

3/20/15-3/25/15
    Kingston, ON: Screening Room

3/20/2015
    Asbury Park, NJ: The Showroom
    Camas, WA: Liberty Theatre
    Cleveland Heights, OH: Cedar Lee Theatres
    Columbus, OH: Gateway Film Center 8M
    Denver, CO: Mayan Theatre
    Eugene, OR: Bijou Art Cinema
    Jefferson City, MO: Capitol City Cinema
    Lambertville, NJ: ACME
    Philadelphia, PA: Ritz at the Bourse
    San Diego, CA: Ken Cinema
    San Luis Obispo, CA: Palm Cinema
    Santa Fe, NM: Jean Cocteau Cinema
    Saskatoon, SK: Broadway Theatre
    Tucson, AZ: The Loft Cinema
    Vancouver, WA: Kiggins Theatre

3/24/2015
    Rosendale, NY: Rosendale Theatre

3/25/2015
    Geneva, NY: Smith Opera House

3/25/15-3/26/15
    Toronto, ON: Fox

3/27/2015
    Berkeley, CA: Shattuck Cinemas 10
    Gainesville, FL: Hippodrome - Gainesville
    Lowell, MA: Luna Theater at Mill No. 5
    Phoenix, AZ: The FilmBar
    San Francisco, CA: Opera Plaza Cinemas 4
    San Rafael, CA: Smith Rafael Film Center
    Seattle, WA: SIFF Cinema at the Uptown
    Washington, DC: E Street Cinema
    Waterville, ME: Railroad Square Cinema 3

3/28/2015
    Three Rivers, MI: Riviera Theatre

3/29/2015
    Wellfleet, MA: Wellfleet Preservation Hall

3/30/2015
    Vancouver, BC: Vancity Theatre

3/31/2015
    Nashville, TN: Belcourt Theatre
    Winston-Salem, NC: Aperture Cinema

4/1/2015
    Toronto, ON: Revue Cinema

4/2/2015
    Boulder, CO: Boedecker Theater

4/3/2015
    Bellingham, WA: PFC's Limelight Cinema 3
    Chico, CA: Pageant Theater
    Missoula, MT: Roxy Theater
    Santa Cruz, CA: Nickelodeon Theatres
    Sebastopol, CA: Rialto Cinemas 9
    Palm Desert, CA: Cinemas Palme D'Or 7
    Spokane, WA: Magic Lantern Theatre

4/8/2015
    Baton Rouge, LA: Manship Theatre
    Hamilton, NY: Hamilton Movie Theatre

4/9/2015
    Hudson, NY: Time and Space Limited
    Wichita, KS: Orpheum Theater

4/10/2015
    Fort Worth, TX: Modern Art Museum of Ft. Worth

4/13/2015
    Bethlehem, PA: ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks

4/14/2015
    Springfield, MO: Moxie Cinema 2

4/20/2015
    Lafayette, LA: Acadiana Center for the Arts

4/23/2015
    Memphis, TN: Brooks Museum of Art

4/24/2015
    Albuquerque, NM: Guild Cinema

5/10/2015
    Nevada City, CA: Nevada Theater

Watch On Demand March 13th
    Amazon: Coming Soon
    AT&T UVerse: On Demand > Uverse Movies > Featured/Early Releases
    Barnes & Noble: Coming Soon
    Cablevision: On Demand > Movies > Advanced Screenings
    Charter: Channel 1 (On Demand) - Movie > New Releases (Search Titles)
    CinemaNow: Coming Soon
    Comcast: Top Picks > New Movies
    HD On Demand > Movies > Just In
    HD On Demand > Movies > Indies & Foreign > Magnolia Pictures
    Cox: Early Screening > In Theaters
    DirectTV: Channel 1000 and 1100 (On Demand) > Movies > (Search Titles)
    Dish: DVR Button > All Movies > Search Movies > Search by Film or Actor
    FlixFling: Search Title
    Google Play: Coming Soon
    iTunes: Coming Soon
    Playstation 3 Store: Video > Playstation Store > Studios > Magnolia Pictures (Search Titles)
    SuddenLink: Movies & Events > New Releases
    Time Warner Cable: HD Movies > Movies
    Verizon FIOS: Movies > By Genre > All > Indies & Docs > Magnolia
    VUDU Coming Soon
    Xbox360 / Zune Video Market Place > Zune > Featured (Search Titles)
    YouTube: Coming Soon

See more at: http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/#watchondemand
    [​IMG]

Jose Jones, lukejosephchung and MMM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.