The Year of The Comic Book (TV)? Arrow, The Flash, Gotham?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dok

Dok Senior Member

2. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I agree. It's far better than I expected it would be.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. Supergirl is coming next year to CBS.

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

So what have we got now?

Gotham
    Flash
    Arrow (Green)
    DC's Legends of Tomorrow
    Super Girl
    Agent Carter
    Agent's of Sheild
    Daredevil
    Jessica Jones
    Walking Dead

What current comic book based shows have I missed?

alexpop likes this.
  5. greenman

greenman Forum Resident

You also got Lucifer and iZombie.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And. . . people don't seem to be "burning out". . . and more shows are on all the time such as Supergirl, Agent Carter and Legends of Tomorrow since this thread started.

7. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Is there a Lucifer comic book?

8. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

THe idea for Lucifer is similar to comic book The Sandman, but taken in a completely different direction.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, it's a great list, which will only get better once Luke Cage is released on Netflix.

10. I'm sure that, at some point, people will tire of them just as they did sword and sandal epics, westerns, war movies, it has to do with the times....

11. Lonson

And. . . then they come back.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. Sadly, looks like Agent Carter will only be two seasons. It's a period piece without a super hero and a female lead...for many of the fan boys that works against it in terms of viewership. U fortunately the fan girls haven't been enough to carry the show. Me, I like it. It's the best of both worlds capturing a epic time in American history, look and tying it into the comic genre.

Which they would just do Sandman already as a series....

13. Lonson

I just wish it were better written, acted and directed. Other than that I like it. (I am watching it with growing reluctance, this season is even worse than last. . . but for some reason I don't want to abandon it. I just am not sure what that reason is, it really isn't great imo.)

14. I enjoy it...they are trying to tie it in with Agents of Shield and Avengers and maybe tying it in handicaps the writers and producers to a degree but I haven't felt the fall off in quality was all that much.

15. Lonson

Well, I feel that it needed to improve and hasn't, maybe that's all I feel and it actually hasn't gotten worse. There's just no meat on the bone. I pretty much feel the same way about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I really want to be crazy about both, and I'm not excited about either. Just me!

Vidiot likes this.
  16. There was an idiotic article (think it was in Entertainment Weekly) that lamented that no series had been brave enough to kill of a character permanently a la Walkong Dead (where the REAL main character is Rick who, I suspect, would not be killed off in the series). You kill off Supergirl and dont resurrect her and you don't hwve Supergirl as a series any longer.

You could introduce another character with the same powers but, again, that's dicey and that changes the show in a. Major way that could alienate viewers.

I am tired of characters being killed and then brought back or "we faked it", etc. it's become a keep ploy that can cash in the audience's good will currency and ruin the show/piss people off.

17. I wouldn't disagree but, unfortunately, they are hampered to a degree by the shared universe concept. Some of the more outrageous ideas they could try....could damage the franchise in the studio's viewpoint. They want to be very careful. Me, I think it was cool that they did both in the first place. They've risked over exposure but I do find that there is a fair amount of folks who follow the movies and don't follow the series (less likely to be the opposite).

I like that they led with a strong woman and made her the central character of an action series as happened with Carter. All of the men are inferior to her to a degree n one way or another but she's still damaged and complex.

I don't buy the interracial romance in season two as it may fit in our time but it was less likely to exist then especially for a character like Carter but I admire them for going for it.

18. Lonson

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I like the same concepts you do, I just think the execution is puerile and the stores are very very thin.

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I watched The Flash for the 1st time last night (been a fan since the late 50's!). It...looked nice. Actually, I saw it had something to do with Earth 2, one of my favorite concepts from back in the day (not the hot mess that's being pushed now). It was fun to see the ol' school Flash but the rest....I doubt I'll watch again. Although I read there's a crossover with Supergirl happening so I guess I haven't seen the last of the Flash!

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Bringing back "dead" characters has a long history in the comics. As an example, originally The Joker was killed at the end of his first appearance then they did a quick addition to show that he survived. In a similar manner, Jean Grey (as Phoenix) was originally killed off in X-Men then later they did a retcon where Phoenix was a separate entity who took on Jean Grey's form and the real Jean Grey had been in suspended animation at the bottom of a lake since the appearance of Phoenix.

Something I'm even more tired of is the continual retcons (retroactive continuity changes) of characters. Some examples:
    • Jason Todd (the Second Robin) was killed by The Joker, but later his death was undone (he still died but he suddenly came back to life in his coffin but with the physical damage he received from The Joker).
    • The Doom Patrol was made a completely new team that suddenly appeared. Their more than 30 years of history was completely deleted from continuity. Then, during Infinite Crisis, their entire history was restored (the Chief suddenly aged decades).
    • Due to retcons in the rest of the DC Universe, The Legion of Super-Heroes has had so many retcons that at one point there were three different versions of the team existing at the same time. In this case, I don't fault the Legion's creative team for the retcons because they had to deal changes that they were forced to (such as the elimination of Superboy from history, who was a key member of the Legion). I've compared what was done to The Legion was like the creative team of Star Trek suddenly being told "Captain James T. Kirk never existed." and then having to do retcons to completely eliminate Kirk from Star Trek.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wait. Are talking about Agent Carter?

If so, I couldn't disagree more.

I love the acting & writing. I also love how this show builds the MCU history from the far end of its timeline.

I have no idea what it's ratings are, but ABC seems content with SHIELD's ratings, so I hope it's the same for Peggy!

wayneklein likes this.
  22. Lonson

Yes, I'm talking about Agent Carter. I'm glad you are enjoying it but we strongly disagree about the acting and writing. I think they're bad.

23. Oh I know but it's a cheap way to generate drama. Back in the 60's it worked but it's been so overdone,,,

24. It wasn't a great introduction to the series. Flash is heavily serialized from its first season. You came in during the middle of a two-part story. It's a good show, check it out from the beginning if you can. It pays great homage to the classic Flash you grew up with.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the best out of the above ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.