The Yoko Ono Reissue Project: out November 11, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindgames, Sep 6, 2016.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

In that video, Yoko says phrases that she would later use as lyrics:

"2000 years of male society" - Woman Power

"Each time we don't say how do we feel, we're dying" - Yes, I'm A Witch

EricRiotT likes this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Holy macaroni! Thanks!

3. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

4. revolution_vanderbilt

For some fans of Yoko's early work, you might want to check this stuff out:
    John Cage - John Cage Shock Vol. 2

interestingly, as noted on discogs, the track featuring Yoko was mislabeled, and this misinformation was used on the release, but EMI has since posted about the error.
    (it's a good thing I looked this up again, to share with you folks, or I wouldn't have learned that!)

Toshi Ichiyanagi, Kenji Kobayashi - duo recital Toshi Ichiyanagi + Kenji Kobayashi "Duo Recital" 2CD - オメガポイント

the relevant tracks (track 3 on disc 1 and track 1 on disc 2)
    I'm almost positive that the Duo Recital set includes this piece
    一柳慧* 、 久里洋二* - やぶにらみ の コンサート [Yabunirami-No-Concert]

But I haven't gotten the Duo Recital set (YET) so I haven't compared.

5. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Thanks! I had not heard of that one!
    Yoko also makes her contribution to this one:
    [​IMG]

in the company of all kinds of interesting people (as you see), though her 21-minute piece here, "Georgia Stone," is her own composition, presumably inspired by Cage.

6. revolution_vanderbilt

I took a trip through her credits on discogs last summer and managed to find quite a few bits and pieces that I hadn't known of otherwise (contributions to other artists or compilation records).

Here's another curio (from the Star Peace era)

7. EricRiotT

EricRiotT Forum Resident

Another rarity from the 2013 "Take Me To The Land of Hell" sessions. This song was originally included in the 1994 "New York Rock" musical.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

Released as a Japanese bonus track.

drasil likes this.
  9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I have searched high and low...is there still no announcement or information about the next batch of reissues in this series? I am eagerly awaiting adding Season of Glass, It's Alright and A Story to my collection, but I haven't heard a thing. I have absolutely loved this campaign and getting the chance to buy affordable copies of such wonderful, overlooked albums.

Hep Alien, qtrules and joeislive like this.
  10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Curious about this myself. Aren't they supposed to go up through "Starpeace" ?

11. Parachute Woman

Yes, through Starpeace. They released the first three in 2016 and the second three last year, so I assume (hope) that the next three are coming this year. There are still 5 yet to be released: A Story, Season of Glass, It's Alright, Starpeace and The Wedding Album.

Hep Alien and Ken.e. like this.
  12. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Cool staccato style vocalizations not as present in her later work

13. revolution_vanderbilt

The Duo Recital set does in fact feature the same recording released on that 1966 EP, unedited and of course in better quality.

14. Rob Hughes

Yeah, I've been checking recently too -- though I should say I have no clear sense of the possible timetable for these things. The sources I check: Chimera Music (updated infrequently!) and also Yoko's Facebook page (updated more regularly!).

15. revolution_vanderbilt

Perhaps it's time we consult an astrologist!

Yoko Ono

On second thought...

Rob Hughes likes this.
  16. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I had all but given up on the Reissue Project when it was suddenly re-announced, and I had subsequently assumed the second wave was never coming before it was quietly confirmed.

I'm sure we'll get the third lot eventually. What interests me most is that A Story was supposed to be in with the second bundle and was quietly dropped - so when is it coming? It's never been released on vinyl before so I'm kind of desperate! I suppose at this stage the most logical thing is to have Season Of Glass, It's Alright (I See Rainbows) and Starpeace as the next wave and then tack A Story and The Wedding Album at the end? Though saying that, wave two consisted of five discs, so if all those albums come out together next it would be the same.

This may very well be my most uninteresting post ever on these forums... :laugh: I'm getting impatient!

17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Congrats on reaching 85 years Ono san.

18. Rob Hughes

Hm. I just read a review of Isle of Dogs (2018), the new stop-action film by Wes Anderson; the review notes that Yoko voices the part of a scientist in the film.

19. Parachute Woman

Neat! I really want to see this film as I love Wes Anderson's last stop-motion animated film (Fantastic Mr. Fox). Alas, it was not released to theaters anywhere near me so I'll have to wait for the BluRay. I look forward to hearing Yoko. I've always liked her speaking voice. It's really sweet.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It's really pathetic that I can't view this film in a cinema anywhere in my vicinity.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  21. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Like many arthouse films, it' s getting a limited release this week and will amp up in forthcoming weeks:

Beginning this weekend, the film will be at 27 theatres in 6 markets. In the following weeks that number will ramp up to approximately 1,500 theatres in 100 markets.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Are you referring to Isle of Dogs (2018)?

23. Rob Hughes

Stop-motion, thank you. I had the niggling sense I had that term wrong.

In any case, in the conceit of the film, if I understand correctly, the voices of human characters (like "assistant-scientist Yoko-ono" as imdb calls her) are voiced almost entirely in Japanese, while the voices of the dogs at the center of the film are rendered in English. I have a few songs of Yoko singing in Japanese, but I don't recall having heard her Japanese speaking voice. But I'm sure it's sweet, too. :)

24. Ever heard Kiss Kiss Kiss from Double Fantasy? :tiphat:

25. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Is that what she's doing on that track, speaking Japanese? Guess I never knew that with any degree of certainty.

I always thought she was whispering in a heightened dialect of orgasm-speak. :D Whatever it is, it works for me. A decidedly most affecting delivery.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018