The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling (March 26th and 27th on HBO)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Pinknik, Tanx, MRamble and 3 others like this.
  2. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just this morning I was thinking about him and how great he was. What a talent!

3. AKA

Yeah, I miss him a lot.

4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I don't know how likely this will get shown in the UK, I hope it gets a DVD release.

5. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

This looks great.

Chris from Chicago and AKA like this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm looking forward to this!

7. AKA

Tonight!

8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I laughed, I cried and I learned. Excellent part one with a welath of archival footage. Still kicking myself for not jumping on the Its’ Garry Shandling show boxset before the price skyrocket on the secondary market.

9. AKA

You can absolutely feel the love with which Judd made this movie. I can’t wait to watch part two. I’ll check it out tonight after Roseanne.

I’m surprised no streaming services have picked up It’s Garry Shandling’s Show, especially Showtime, its original home.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I loved that show back in the day. Occasioanlly the theme song will go off in my head for a little
    While.

Im almost to the part where I start to whistle...

lambfan68 and AKA like this.
  11. modrevolve

My girl friend and I just finsihed part two and we are both sitting here in tears. One of the finest documentaries I’ve ever seen.

12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I thought it was a Fox show.

Edit: You're right! Per wikipedia:
    "In 1985, Shandling and Alan Zweibel went on to create It's Garry Shandling's Show. Through 1990, it ran for 72 episodes on Showtime. The edited reruns played on the Fox network beginning in 1988.[15] Shandling wrote 15 episodes of the series."

13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

part two got really heavy (hell, the whole thing was pretty heavy), but it was very heartwarming to see how much progress he made in his last year. I was especially moved by the man he was skyping with (can't remember his name) who told him the only moment you have is right now. that hit home.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That was Ram Dass, author of Be Here Now and co-author of The Psychedelic Experience with Timothy Leary & Ralph Metzner

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

thank you. I couldn't remember his name.

16. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

What an excellent documentary, lovingly put together by Judd Apatow. It was gripping, heart warming, gut wrenching, tear jerking and hilarious. I've been a Garry fan since I was a little kid watching him on the 'Tonight Show,' so I was looking forward to this. And what a treat it was. Tenderly crafted, but honest, with warts and all. Apatow knocked it out of the park.

George P likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Really amazing, loving documentary about an amazing, loving man. Thanks for alerting me to this!

18. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Saw parts 1 and 2 this week. Both totally fantastic, one of he best docs I've seen in a long time. It must have been a massive amount of work to produce these, but they are so detailed and so revealing...great work. Bravo, Judd Apatow.

vince and George P like this.
  19. Gems-A-Bems

I’m not sure how necessary Leno’s contribution to the project was. He seemed to come across as mostly clueless.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

This interview (and it's second part) make a nice addendum to the Apatow documentary. John Dalton conducted the interview on June 9th, 2011 in Los Angeles, CA.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    ex_mixer likes this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

garry talks a lot about his spiritual journey on the 'you made it weird' podcast, worth looking for. I enjoyed the doc but.....maybe a bit longer than it needed to be. a lot of time dwelling on his agents iffy behavior, I guess with apatow that goes with the territory, but thats a small complaint

22. Gems-A-Bems

Part of the reason for that is all the time spent reading. I didn’t have an issue with that, but I imagine those with smaller screens might.

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the diaries? no that was interesting, just the pacing was a little slow, especially going over the lawsuits

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I wouldn't have know he didn't have a wife or kids until I saw this!

25. modrevolve

I was welling up at the end during the eulogy, then Kevin Nealon started reminiscing about the late night phone calls he had with Garry then says and sometimes Anthony Pellicano..I cracked up so hard we had to pause the stream.

halfjapanese, jpelg and kevywevy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.