Thea Gilmore!! If you like *smart* songwriting, give her a spin!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 14, 2015.

1. intuit2020

intuit2020 Active Member

2. intuit2020

intuit2020 Active Member

I found Thea's music in the spring of 2017. I'm from the states and I can't think of anyone to compare her to. Whether it's the musical arrangements, instruments, her unbelievable voice, vocal inflections, the genius of her lyrics, this woman should be known worldwide. Maybe she is, or maybe she isn't. Maybe I just got lucky. There's rarely a day while I'm listening to her, that I don't literally thank God for the honor and the privilege. She is that profound, witty, raw, talented and insightful. It's always been through music that I feel the most blessed in life. Coming across Thea's music at this point in my life has been intimate and personal. A Godsend. Love the above list. I made a 56 song playlist for my ipod, every song weaving in and out with perfect timing and meaning. Long live Thea Gilmore. An unapologetic, honest, angel of lyric and song.

Percy Song, Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  3. Don't know how I've missed this thread before.

You may all enjoy this:

Best Wishes,
    David

intuit2020 and mrjinks like this.
  4. intuit2020

intuit2020 Active Member

THEA GILMORE: ONE LAST FIGHT: CD: "BURNING DOROTHY"

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Nice to see someone who's as dazzled as I am.

I don't really *do* Thanksgiving, but I'm certainly thankful that the ever-prolific Ms. Gilmore has released a new 4-song EP today. And this comes just a few months after releasing an album with EIGHTEEN new tracks. :)

[​IMG]
    I'm on my first listen, but I'm smiling.
    I think I may prefer these songs to much of the album from earlier this year.

Throw some $$$/£££ at her and listen for yourself. :)
    The New Tin Drum, by Thea Gilmore

Percy Song likes this.
  6. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I really got into her music several years after she came out with Songs for the Gutter. Intelligent songwriting and some catchy hooks as well.

Once tried to get a thread going here on her music but it didn't really go anywhere, so it's nice to see her music come up again.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    mrjinks likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I joined this forum less than a month after your thread, otherwise I would’ve given it more life. :)

Aftermath likes this.
  8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Spinning her Christmas album now...a Holiday favorite!

This is a must have in my collection. Track one is stunning and it just gets better with her often hard-folk-rocking band with her original songs too...on the top of my best ever Christmas albums stack.

Thea Gilmore's Strange Communion

[​IMG]

Thea Gilmore - Sol Invictus

Drunken Angel

Thea Gilmore's Midwinter Toast

:tiphat:

Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  9. lemonade kid

Her Sandy Denny albums is quite nice (she wrote the music to Sandy's lyrics)...

10. lemonade kid

Thea has always reminded me of Sandy in her singing and appearance.

11. lemonade kid

12. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I'm pleased you started this thread 3 years ago @mrjinks, and I hope you keep contributing your infectious optimism to it.

I first exposed myself to Thea's music 17 years ago when she was 21 and I was considerably older. I wasn't convinced she would have anything to say that would float my boat but I was wrong. It started with this.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and continued through the years to my great benefit. The last album, The Counterweight, showcased the continuing maturity in her songwriting. As you pointed out a while ago, The New Tin Drum EP (her latest offering, I think) doesn't disappoint either.

The cover versions she has recorded over the years, not least for the free Mojo and Uncut themed CDs [Beatles (x2), Clash, Springsteen] have been interesting and enjoyable. Her attempt at John Wesley Harding was gutsy and inspired; I play that CD regularly.

More recently, to my distress, I discovered that I've missed out on a few CD singles which contain exclusive tracks. :shake: I suppose at least it means that I have something to look forward to if I ever manage to locate them; it looks like it won't be easy to get hold of them though.

#

lemonade kid likes this.
  13. Percy Song

Further viewing for those of us who were impressed by her recording of John Wesley Harding. Somewhere there is a film of the whole of this show which, apparently, was very good. It took place on Bob's 70th birthday. (I don't think her album is a patch on the original by the way, but it is enjoyable and I play it a lot...)

14. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'm surprised there's been no chat about her latest album, The Counterweight. I took the plunge and bought the deluxe edition and, frankly, there isn't a bad track on this album. A remarkable achievement after so many albums.

Percy Song likes this.
  15. Percy Song

Thea's just announced a 14-date UK tour, "Thea Gilmore's Acoustic Christmas Party" is happening in November and December. Grandma JoJo and I will have front row lower balcony seats at the circa 400-seater Apex in Bury St. Edmunds. Superb acoustics, apparently.

[​IMG]

After I had booked our tickets, JoJo said, "Who's Thea Gilmore?"

Tour

#

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    mrjinks and Paul H like this.
  16. Percy Song

"Strange Communion" is being re-issued as a deluxe set in November with 4 bonus tracks. Hopefully it'll be one of those nice box sets with lyric cards like "John Wesley Harding" and "Murphy's Heart".

Also in today's email from Thea, this:-

"Firstly.. I've got writing fever. That's right, the next album is in the works and I'm looking forward to seeing what its going to be! Time for my death metal album? (probably not!) Watch this space...."

#

mrjinks and lemonade kid like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Hopefully it will also get a vinyl release!

mrjinks and lemonade kid like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

If you're just now getting interested in Thea, please do make an attempt to get her Strange Communion by Thanksgiving (if you're American). Start your Black Friday with "Sol Invictus", and beat-back your rage at what we've done to this occasion, by blasting this into your head.

And then call your friend, and tell them, "If you really need to know what Christmas is all about, come over, and come thirsty. I've got something you need to hear. Now."

Do not be afraid to crank this to "11". And keep this within reach every day through Winter Solstice. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to let the rest of the album 'breathe' for the rest of the month.

In the meantime, consider this your cure from overdosing on twinkles and Frosty and false prophets trying to inject their dogma into what is essentially a truce between faith and commerce.

Until a nice man from the BBC gave me the word about 5 years ago, I had no idea how badly I needed this in my life.

mrjinks likes this.
  19. lemonade kid

My favorite Christmas going-for-a-ride album...Sol Invictus is amazing on the car stereo. Yeah cranked up!

Like like like your post! VINYL please!!

mrjinks likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

So, you drive around with a lot of LP's do ya? Best that's a slooooowwwwwww commute...

21. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I saw Thea back around 1997/98 when she was supporting my mates band. I heard her whole set, thought her songs good and she certainly had a bit of attitude.

I really thought no more of her, and a few years later was listening to a really good system, when the owner produced a Thea CD. It was then I found that her music had been played on BBC Radio 2.

A couple of years ago my brother wanted some CDs ripped, including Rules For Jokers. The music seemed far more mature than what I had heard live, a few years earlier.

22. lemonade kid

Ha! All on my flash drive....a few hundred albums.

23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I would love this in vinyl too!

24. lemonade kid

Me too. Sandy would be happy to sing along to this. Maybe she is!

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. Percy Song

I'll be asking her to do "Must Be Santa" on 03 December.....

[​IMG]

#

RayS likes this.