Their Satanic Majesties Request Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was thinking either at the beginning or end of one of the lp sides.

Zoot Marimba and Dave Hoos like this.
  2. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Start of Side Two.

andrewskyDE and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

I think it could work as a closer.

4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

A song that good could work anywhere.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

On With the Show
    Fits perfectly between Something Happened to Me Yesterday and Lets drink to the Salt of the Earth as an album closer.

We Love You
    Recorded when their back was up against a wall. For my money, the Stones' music has never sounded more menacing, especially near the end. The harmonies sound distant---taunting rather than loving and perhaps that was the intent. An excellent precursor to Jumping Jack Flash.

6. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

For the Mono TSMR with added all the above mentioned "missing" singles and out-takes (incl. the even trippier rough mix of "In Another Land"), there's that fabulous boot CD on "Mecca" The Mono Edition

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I was listening to "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" and it seems odd to me that it was recorded between the two songs you mentioned. Brian skipped the psych and went for brass instead. I guess for that night club feel. Still, it seems so out of place to me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I always wondered if this was inspired in part by Brian's appearance on You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) prior to the TSMR sessions, as they both have that goofy lounge music vibe going on (although OWTS is clearly the better of the two). It would also fit into the old narrative that The Stones were slavishly following whatever directions that The Fabs were exploring at the time as well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    andrewskyDE and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. Zoot Marimba

You Know My Name didn't get finished or released until 1969-70, so I don't see how they could. Not to mention how distant Brian was already becoming.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

When I saw generally the tracklist of the album the first time I thought the closing title is called 'On With The Snow' (because of the early album title Cosmic Christmas).^^
    Of course it was 'Show' instead. Anyway, the song is... umm... interesting. Reminds me of 'Something Happened To Me Yesterday' from Between The Buttons. Both are vaudeville-like songs. Unusual things made by the Stones.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Can't say much about 'We Love You' and 'Dandelion'. They are both amazing tracks!
    A Similar 'missed opportunity' for being included in an album as the Beatles (not) did with 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane'.

For me it sounds like a track that should open one side of the vinyl.

Aftermath and Zoot Marimba like this.
  12. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like We Love You, but not quite as much as I did in 1967. I'm listening to it as I type.

I'd rank it above Gomper (and therefore (See What Happens)) but not quite as high as any of the other LP tracks.

In case I miss it, Dandelion is in my top six Stones tracks so it ranks above anything else on the LP for me.

Zoot Marimba and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Lots of interesting quotes and insights.

Perfect.

Brian's mellotron playing is inspired and wicked, especially at the end.

That's exactly where the tracks starts to fade, on the London 1980s CDs "Through the Past Darkly" and "More Hot Rocks". Sacrilege! I remember a music critic in Rolling Stone magazine writing that "We Love You" was the most musically complex and advanced recording that the Stones had ever done.

Contrary to the video, this version of "We Love You" was not included on "Satanic Sessions". Fascinating, I've never heard Keith's stuttering guitar (starting at 3:01) so distinctly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Jayce

Jayce Forum Resident

I wrote this three years ago during that massive Stones album-by-album thread - the best thread that has ever been on this forum, IMHO:

For me, "We Love You" is the best thing that the Stones released in the 1960s, and because I think their best work occurred in that decade, it's the best thing they ever recorded. To these ears, it is easily the most powerful song they ever recorded. Everything comes together: a stunning Jagger vocal, unbelievable harmonies, huge, pounding drums, swooping bass, the most sinister piano they ever committed to tape, and, to top it off, my favorite mellotron performance of all time, courtesy of Brian Jones, who sends this recording into both hell and the stratosphere. IMO, his concluding mellotron solo is the single greatest individual studio performance a Rolling Stone ever performed. In an all-too-short career filled with stunning musical contributions, this is his greatest moment.

Hyperbole to some, but I cannot communicate clearly enough how fantastic I think this song is.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"We Love You" is a monster of a song. At the time, I didn't get it (I was only 10) and I thought they were just trying to do their own "All You Need Is Love". I rediscovered the song a decade later and found it very powerful. That thunderous piano intro from Nicky is almost scary and the whole atmosphere of the song is more of menace than love. It's like a triumphant, anthemic rallying call - we love you and let's continue the fight my beauties. I always tagged it onto the end of my Satanic cassette and it's on the old Mickboy (bootleg) remaster of the album, so for me, it has always been an integral part of Satanic Majesties, even though its hard reality jars somewhat with the tone of the album.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Highly recommended. I'm rarely too enthralled with outtakes, but for once, they're really worth something here. The Original 7" Mixes of the single sound great as well, with more prominent vocals than I've heard before.

Zoot Marimba and Devilscucumber like this.
  17. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Absolutely love We Love You ! One of my top-5 Stones tracks of all time.

18. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

"We Love You" - I always saw it as more of a sarcastic we love you to the press and establishment than one of trig to the fans, but I believe it's meant to be both.

You can feel the anger in Mick's voice during the bridge ("You will never win, WE"), and this might be one of the best examples where almost every band member is at the top of their game... Nicky (who was essentially a Stone in these sessions) with his trippy piano riff, Brian playing the mellotron like a madman, Charlie with a twisty beat, Mick, Keith, John and Paul with their falsetto harmonies...

The end might be the best part of all of it, the Stones have let you know they can't be beat, and all descends into chaos.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm gonna hang tough on starting the Goats Head Soup discussion until @John Fell is back from his holiday, as I look forward to his contributions. So @Musicman1998 if you want to go ahead with the Between The Buttons discussion, knock yerself out:righton: Admittedly though I'll probably be contributing to that one about as much as I did this one, even if this discussion did prompt me to listen to Satanic Majesties for the first time in years (even though I did skip both "Sing This All Together" songs and "On With The Show"). "Citadel" and "The Lantern" are still my favourites, that hasn't changed...

Dave Hoos and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@ohnothimagen Hopefully, I'll be able to dig myself out at work quickly and contribute something useful. Thanks for waiting.

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

We could also add Bill Wyman playing those nice initial "zoom" bass guitar notes.

22. Zoot Marimba

It's going to be a while before I do BtB. I've already got a couple other artists lined up and even a Ronnie-era album but it will likely be my next Brian-era album, either that or Let It Bleed if that one counts.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ronnie-era album? Which one? Gawd help me, after listening to Dirty Work on the way to work tonight I'm tempted to do that LP as well as Goats...

California Couple likes this.
  24. Zoot Marimba

Either Black and Blue (just for sami's review of Melody alone) or Some Girls

ohnothimagen and sami like this.
  25. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident

"But don't you know I'm a two thousand man
    And my kids, they just don't understand me at all"

Right around the year 2000 Mick was having problems with his underage daughter doing some modeling. And his kids just did not understand him at all. Oh the irony. Mick was being Nostradamus.
    I think so too. It does not have pick attack so I doubt it is a guitar harmonic.

I have been a drummer all my life and it sounds 4/4 to me. I hear nothing that says 12/8. Charlie is moving the downbeat from one to two to three at will which makes it sound exotic. Kind of like what Mic did on Rhiannon.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.