Their Satanic Majesties Request Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They should have included Sad Day, Long, Long While, Who's Driving Your Plane and What To Do on Flowers and deleted some of the duplicated tracks.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice research. Re Nico track did Page play and produce that and Brian just play? Page and Beck knew Stu circa 63' and the Eel Pie Island days and he actually at that point encouraged Jeff's slide guitar playing. Page's own Immediate tracks are from 65' (none with Beck as he recorded his with Nicky Hopkins with Cyril Davies All Stars Band Dec 64') though some with Clapton. According to Page, later down the track once the record company heard of the home recordings with E.C. they said they were their property so Page countered they were just jams at least let me overdub other musicians if you must release them. On release (Maybe end of 68?) some muso's were angry with Page figuring he set this up and was paid for it. As for Degree of murder Page played virtually all the guitar with Brian handling varied instruments, I have seen a photo from the recording sessions with Brian speaking to Jimmy with guitar slung around his neck which is fabulous.

Michael D, Dave Hoos and munjeet like this.
  3. All Down The Line

Love all you have said and.......yes Mono does often rule!

4. All Down The Line

Brilliant! I have this E.P. though sadly not the cover and have always thought these Were and Are the best 5 cuts. Congrats if you own this as it is the Stones Rarest jukebox E.P. and worth big bucks. In Mexico they released a 4 track E.P. with the US Rainbow artwork also with a unique selection that was from memory; 2000 light years
    /Rainbow/Dandelion/In another land.

5. All Down The Line

That is technically correct but someone wanted more Recognition $ongs. Sad that Out Of Time is badly cut though i enjoy the 3 new cuts and feel the album plays very strongly.....i would never part with my UK Unboxed Export Mono copy of it. Can someone who bought it at the time and had been buying the last 1 or 2 Stones lps please comment on their initial reaction and also advise of any pre advertising campaign?

6. All Down The Line

That's fortunate as you could buy 10 copies of the lp or the ep instead.

7. All Down The Line

In the next 1966' Beatles monthly there is a photo of i George and i think John holding up a copies of Aftermath and i think 19th Nervous Breakdown and saying "Wait a minute Paulie, George and I are coming up with a couple of really original ideas!" They were recording Revolver and had despatched a staffer to buy the lp.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. All Down The Line

And HYSYMBSITS?

9. All Down The Line

No they are the opposite if he was pre choosing the day!

10. All Down The Line

Brilliant post!!! Yes the change is even obvious visually. We cannot underestimate the busts and specific repercussions in 67-68 for the 3 leaders. I can say that even pre JJF Brian Jones had started to refer to The Rolling Stones as "They" and not we, at least privately, and was very matter of fact about it all. It has been said that Brian stayed with the band longer than anyone would have and he slowly faded from view as a contributing musician in any capacity. He had stayed at all because he knew the chemistry worked.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Zoot Marimba and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. All Down The Line

Ok but were the clips not filmed at virtually the same time or in fact day by Michael Lindsay-Hogg?

12. All Down The Line

Not so far in purity, truth or outsider music.

13. All Down The Line

Wow where did you get all this Beat Instrumental?

14. Pinstripedclips

Pinstripedclips Forum Resident

It's a soprano saxophone, not an oboe.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. Pinstripedclips

Photos, footage and audio.

16. Pinstripedclips

You wot?

17. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Maybe if we complain about it long enough they will give us an 8 CD box set and the snoring will be edited out for good?

Dave Hoos likes this.
  18. California Couple

Maybe they could have held TSMR back until they had finished "Can You Hear The Music". :uhhuh:

19. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

For what it's worth, my favourite guitar sound from Keith is on that little known gem from Metamorphosis, "I'm Going Down". That tone is killer (as is Taylor's bass playing).

20. All Down The Line

Ok please wake me when you hear the result as iam starting to yawn.

21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

And "My Girl". There is no logical reason that should ever have seen the light of day.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  22. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Also Page played accoustic on Nico's Last Mile which sounds like a Zep song I can't recall...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Hands down the best song on the album. I didn't hear "2000 Light Years From Home" until about two months ago--and I'm a lifelong Stones fan. The Sgt. Pepper's comparisons kept me severed from it, but I am so glad to've dismissed that. "2000LYFH" is one that will hang with any of their "Warhorses." I'd have the album if only for that tune--I simply never tire of Keef's grungy dirty guitar sound on this album; that guitar coupled with Charlie's rhythmic bashing creates something both angelic and ominous at the same time--in this regard, "2000LYFH" upstages even an Immortal like "Sympathy For The Devil." That Keef sound is also the reason why "2000LYFH" gets fearsome competition from "Citadel."

Don't let that idyllic, sunny, hippie cover fool you--there is some righteous and decadent guitar goodness on this album foreshadowing Beggars Banquet courtesy Mr. Richards. And the sound quality of the album is excellent, too--a miracle considering it was 1967, Loog Oldham was out, and much like the recording sessions for Exile and Soup, the intoxicants were freely flowing.

24. California Couple

That makes no sense. Unless you are only 3 years old. You've got some explaining to do there fella.

marmalade166 likes this.
  25. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Ok.

I'm 35. Been listening to The Stones all my life, but only got to seriously studying and collecting their albums when I hit college--for me, 62 to 81 is The Prime Time. Up until about two months ago, I deliberately avoided Their Satanic Majesties Request because it was always compared to The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band--for context, and no I am not trying to start any troll/flame wars: I am not a Beatles fan (never have been), so I stayed away from it. Well, as with any music nut, you're always looking for new sounds--not unlike Marvin Berry's Cousin. ;) YouTube is great because no longer must we take financial risks on albums/songs we've never heard--I went to The Stones' channel, I put on the album, and goddamn if it wasn't one of the best things I've ever heard, and I went ahead and picked up a copy. My only regret is that I didn't snag this album when I was eighteen or nineteen. Make sense now?

-siyt

marmalade166 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.