There are consoles... and then there are CONSOLES...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel Cairo, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

...and baby, this is a CONSOLE!!:

Fisher Console_1 SMALL.jpg

Fisher Console_2 SMALL.jpg

Fisher Console_3 SMALL.jpg

Fisher Console_6 SMALL.jpg

While the Fisher 4oo-CX preamp, the 100-R tuner and the stereo Ampex tape deck are front and center, what you can barely see are the two 100-watt Fisher monoblocks that power this behemoth, and the Dual 1226 turntable (obviously not the table that originally came with the setup, but not a bad substitution....).

And of course, the "James B. Lansing" N1200 speakers on each side...

This is actually for sale in a local store. When I checked, they hadn't decided on the price...

- Kevin

Attached Files:

Rupe33, The Seeker, rxcory and 19 others like this.
  2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Nice!

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Looks like your guest-room setup.

tmtomh likes this.
  4. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Looks like a very nice piece, but will require a large room.

aka "if you have to ask..." :)

Paully likes this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I would call this sort of a "specialty item"

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Great piece but the amount of recapping all those components will cost around 2000, I'd say. The store won't be factoring that in. I'd bet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Where are you buying your lytics??????

beat_truck likes this.
  8. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Awesome. Thanks for the great pics OP. Just imagine where that thing must have come from, a serious room. Would love to see the record collection that went with this rig.

longdist01 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Mantovani and 101 Strings, along with show tunes and light classsical 99% of the time is what you find console owners having.

10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, the third cabinet from the left was a record cabinet. Perhaps Joel Cairo/Kevin can comment if my memory is correct, or not.

The shop is Echo Audio, Portland OR. One of my favorite places to visit when in town. Great shop & folks!

bhazen and kfringe like this.
  11. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

"N1200" is a cross over model, not a speaker
    Most likely to be found with (designed for) a "001" load:
    130A - woofer
    &
    175 DLH - (driver, lens, horn assembly) = 175 compression driver and the horn and acoustic lens being the 1217 and 1290 respectively
    N1200 - network

Fantastic system

You will often find this network used with the D130 which is a fine loudspeaker but a "full range" driver, not a true "woofer" as is the case with the 130A

The 130A is the correct driver for a true "001" system but growing more difficult to find in any sort of shape

Wouldn't kick either one out of bed though, especially for Jazz

Panama Hotel and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Analogman

The Fisher President taken to a whole new level
    One fine piece

The speaker cabs look like JBL's C40 (folded horn) either custom built or "customized" with the non-stock legs and trim work on the front...........very early '60 judging from the screw post speaker wire terminals, after about '62 they switched to the spring loaded type on the N1200 and shortly after that to a cast metal box instead of the sheet metal box as shown in your photo

These components would date then, most likely, from the almost all Telefunken and Westinghouse period for Fisher tube compliments, it just doesn't get any better than this if this "Golden Era" equipment is your bag

This is a dream system for me; I've owned most of it at one time or another but never all at once or all in the same place

Hope that whoever winds up with it knows what to to do with it to protect and preserve it and keep it making Music for many more years to come

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That's one console I wouldn't rip the amp out of.

14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Where did they get it?

15. kfringe

kfringe Well-Known Member

That thing makes my mouth water every time I see it at Echo.

16. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

What would have been there originally? I think the top-of-the-line Fishers used Miracords. Down the range a bit, it would be a pusher-platform Garrard such as an A70 or (earlier) RC88/4.

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I'd bet a Garrard Type A.

18. Analogman

19. Analogman

I would
    I actually think that wood work on that particular one is very ugly, besides the fact that it's mismatched (different makers)
    Especially that ugly ass black metal hardware, and on the C40s too! :thumbsdow
    My opinions aside: all of those are stand alone components someone installed in that cabinet, so it wouldn't be a sacrilege

I might think twice about gutting a factory high end Fisher though
    And MAYBE a custom job in a nice Barzilay piece, IF it were the right one

Snashforce likes this.
  20. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, the Thorens 124 was used in some consoles. Couldn't find a pic.

21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I suspect it is a record cabinet, but here's what I found when I opened up one of the drawers...:

Fisher Console_5 SMALL.jpg

And there was more original packaging, brochures and cool stuff below the top layer...!

- Kevin

longdist01, Donniej, VinylRob and 2 others like this.
  22. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

$20k for that?

Hmmm...

24. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Actually I found a Fisher console at the local Goodwill store with a Dual 1010 as OEM equipment. It did not find a good home as there are two managers for the local store, one who looks everything up on ebay and tags at maximum value. The other manager understands it is a thrift store, and that vintage electronics always need professional refurbishing to be worth anywhere near its market value. The price was $350.00. I would have paid up to $100.00 for it. It needed filter caps and the usual clean and lube for the turntable.

Meantime a customer stole all of the tubes, one of the hinges was ripped out of the cabinet, and the grille cloth got torn. The original Shure M44 stylus was snapped off. After 3 months of abuse, the price was reduced to $75.00. Very sadly, it was eventually thrown in the dumpster. The console came in very clean and complete.

The thrift stores need to understand that the restorers work hard for their money and have earned their reputations. Parts and time and all the fees add up. Donated vintage electronics, working or not always require refurbishing (if working it will not operate to spec or not much longer) so if anyone believes these items can be flipped for easy money, that is not the reality.

25. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

That's a beautiful console in great shape - I'd love to spend some time in that shop! I picked up a console at a hamfest and while it was a very nice build (and heavy!!), I have to believe it was custom-made for someone, maybe even DIY. The fit n' finish was good but the components were a scattered lot at best. The amp is an Eico HF-81, the R2R deck is an Ampex like the one in your pic (tubed output...nice) but while the amp is stereo and the console houses 2 speakers (Altec 604), the sources are all mono except the FM tuner (Harmon Kardon) that uses an Eico stereo modulator. I don't recall what brand the AM tuner and TT are and the console sits in storage although I did remove and use the Altecs. Most consoles I've come across have been emptied of anything interesting and I'm sure most likely wind up in a dumpster - they just don't have a market at the moment but occasionally, a nice one makes its way through the decades intact. Maybe vintage consoles will become the next big thing for hipsters - after all, they'll need somewhere to store those records they're always carrying around under their arm... :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.