There are consoles... and then there are CONSOLES...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel Cairo, Mar 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd definitely be worried about the power amps. Which are a crazy, power-hungry indulgence, if all they're doing is powering the (already efficient) JBLs in the (not all that stereo) cabinet. If they are 100w monoblocks- and from the look of them, they very well could be- I would not keep them cooped up in a console. I'd have them hooked to a good-quality variac, with whisper fans placed adjacent to the output tubes. (& pushing air across some dry ice packs, lol.) Any large tube amp powered by a AC power source subject to fluctuation- high rise apartments, in particular- needs to have its input stabilized with a good power conditioner like an Adcom 515. And preferably governed with a variac, as mentioned.

Otherwise, you could at least put the power amps on granite slabs, and keep them away from the drapes.

1oow tube monoblocs...how big is the room? With efficient speakers in big cabinets, by the time they're turned up to 7 o'clock, that's enough power to blow out the picture windows of a good-size Starbucks coffee shop. With actual power consumption more like 1Kw.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Wonder who bought that baby new. Sinatra maybe?

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Although there isn't a clear picture of it, there was a presentation plaque in the unit-- it was a gift presentation to an individual from a local organization.

Obviously someone that was quite well-liked... and probably a known Hi-Fi nut!

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.