There goes rhymin' simon - vinyl masterpiece

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Inspired by the recent poll, I dug out my vinyl copy (I don't have the CD) and played it.

The sound is fantastic. It's not a first press, but a UK copy with sterling stamped in the dead wax.

Vinyl at its best exceeds anything I have yet heard from digital. Presence, realism, a sense of space round the instruments, and just a delightful, involving sound.

Tim

2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

You need to get the DCC vinyl......I thought the original cd sounded good.
    Then I listened to Steve's vinyl of this title......I was amazed at the improvement.

3. JPwalker

JPwalker Forum Resident

This one is plentiful in the cheap bins. I have been holding off since I hate the cover so much.

4. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

A great collection of songs. I think I'd enjoy it in any format.

Tuco likes this.
  5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Really? You won't buy this album because you don't like the cover?

6. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I love the production on this album! Very lush, smooth and spacious in all the right places. The vinyl is an excellent way to hear it.

On vinyl I own two copies of the standard US version (usually very plentiful in the record bargain bins) and one of the Quad version. They all sound excellent, though my quad has a little bit more surface noise than the standard versions I own. I can't vouch for Steve's since I haven't heard it, though I definitely want to.

7. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

what do you guys think about the DMM (direct metal mastering) pressing? I picked up a pristine copy the other day for a few bucks but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes, a great sounding great album in any format. I got the original CBS UK CD and love it.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The Quad mix spoiled me. Wish I could hear it again. It was amazing.

10. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I have a UK stereo pressing, not the first but still with the original orange CBS label. "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" is my go-to system demo track.

11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

In a nod to the end of "Kodachrome", I dug out my quad LP of RHYMIN' SIMON. It's spinning now, and other than some pops, it sounds magnificent.

Harry

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

A few years ago, I actually bought a CD-R burn of the Quad mix of "Rhymin'" from a guy who does that type of transfer (usually from reel-to-reel) and I'll have to spin it again, as I can't remember if I liked it or not? I have a bunch of those old Quad mixes on CD-R and they never seem to deliver the "fullness" of say, a multi-channel SACD or DVD-A. They are always a bit muddy sounding.

Chris C

13. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. The DCC Lp is phenomenal! Wish I owned it instead of only borrowing it for a day...

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's a wonder I can think at all.

A long time favorite hunk 'o' ear candy.

15. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Damn ! One more thing to hunt down ! My quad collection is getting out of hand as it is !! :D

16. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

My favorite Paul Simon album. Diverse without over indulgence. Regarding the LP cover...
    well it was the 70's.

17. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Yes, one of the first albums I ever bought. One Man's Ceiling is one of my favorites.

18. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I have always loved this album - one of my all-time favorites. My original copy (bought in 1974) was a CBS UK 8-Track tape. :eek: The fade out/fade in on the next 'track' during 'One Man's Ceiling' is still burned into my memory. :help: Fortunately I now own a nice orange label CBS UK vinyl pressing, as well as the DCC. :)

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I love the DCC version. I recently picked up a nm sterling LH cut and I think that sounds rather nice also.

20. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I own a UK CBS orange Sterling LH too, I love the album and the cover by Milton Glaser!

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I have a nice clean quad copy sitting in my 'awaitin' playin' bin. Looks like I'll have to bump it up.

22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have a very clean late 70s repress that I picked up at a thrift shop a few months ago. Lots of rumble from not great vinyl, but the grooves sound fabulous.

23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Loved this classic slice of ear candy ever since it was issued in 1973. In my book, an icon. One of Paul's best albums solo.

24. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

U.K mag,Mojo,do a readers best of,featuring a different artist/band every month
    It was Paul Simons turn a few issues ago and i readied myself for an expected top 3 position for Rymin Simon.
    Boy was I wrong,very wrong ,there was no place in the mojo top 10,in fact there was no mention whatever for what i regard as Paul Simons best album.

25. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

+1

I've also been listening to his first s/t for a few weeks now, and it's in heavy rotation. Next up will be Rhymin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.