There’s A Part For William Shatner In STAR TREK 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

marblesmike likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I've heard about that too and agree that it's both a long shot and that it would be would be totally cool. My guess is that the studio would go far a more high profile
    razzmatazz director (to the movies detriment).

marblesmike and Encuentro like this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

More originals involved, increased audience interest

4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just goes to show, the new cast can't stand on their own.
    I'm waiting for a stand-alone movie with no involvement from the prime universe.

Darryl

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Axanar in 2015. That's where it's at.
    http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

greelywinger likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Roberto Orci ‘Explains’ His Departure From Star Trek; Jonathan Frakes SUPER PUMPED to Possibly Direct
    Seems like he was vulcanned. Get it? GET IT?
    by Carolyn Cox ( ) Thursday, December 11th 2014 at 12:20 pm

There are many reasons why I’m not broken up about Roberto Orci stepping down as director of Star Trek 3 (and Into Darkness‘ portrayal of women is only one of them). But for those of you who are concerned about what will happen to the film in the wake of its director’s departure, Orci is (sort of) setting the record straight online.

The writer and producer—who famously told fans to “**** off” on an Into Darkness comment thread at TrekMovie in 2013—resurfaced on the site this week to explain what his role will be moving ahead on the production. (Bold, no?) Orci promised that he will remain “very involved” in the movie despite no longer directing, that he is “still excited to make Trek 3,” and that the production will “find the right director.” As for the rumor that he was let go due to disagreements over a plotline involving Vulcan timetravel, Orci was adamant: “No time travel was ever considered, fyi.”

I’m obviously skeptical that Orci is actually being transparent about the reasons for his departure; but whatever. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, guy. In the meantime, several exciting names have been floated in the search for a new director: Next Generation actor Jonathan Frakes has even thrown his hat in the ring!

After fans initiated a #BringInRiker campaign on Twitter, the First Contact andInsurrection director told KOMO News:

I’m all over it. I’m all over it [...] I would love that job… I say, unabashedly, I’d be great at it and would love to do it. I’m trying to keep the lid on how excited I am about the possibility, knowing it’s such a long shot. But there’s nothing I would like better.

Frakes has reportedly spoken with Abrams, and his agent has reached out to Paramount.

Although obviously there’s a lot more to directing than having a healthy respect for the fandom you’re catering to, it seems obvious to me that Frakes could do a better job than Orci would have—not only does he have 100% more directing experience, he’s not known for cursing fans out! Bonus!

What do you think, friends? Do you have any regrets about Orci’s departure? Do you want Paramount to #BringInRiker, or are you hoping those Edgar Wright rumors are true? Let us know below!

(Via io9 and Blastr)
    http://www.themarysue.com/star-trek-3-orci-frakes/

Deesky likes this.
  7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

#BringInRiker

Andrew and Encuentro like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A personal thank you to the #BringInRiker campaign from Jonathan Franks.
    [​IMG]

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Not for me, and I'm a fan of the original series and Shatner in all his hammy glory. Shatner got a final bow in Generations and that should be enough. Let the new movies go forward and develop their own stories without continually laboring in the shadow of the past. These kinds of stunts--like the lame echoes of The Wrath of Khan in the last movie--suggest that the producers really don't know where they want to take the franchise, so they rely on these old tropes as a crutch.

F_C_FRANKLIN, Andrew and reapers like this.
  10. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I do agree with you, but I think the producers are unsure of the next direction.

A re-assembly of prior casts would at least create entertaining nostalgia, if not originality and a new direction.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Darryl

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The new plotline: Kirk (Pine) and Spock (Quinto) travel back to old San Francisco to try to rescue some humpback whales.... :rolleyes:

Well - it was a hit back in the '80s, right?

Harry

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Nuclear Wessels... :laugh:

Darryl

14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

You're right that he's a limited actor but he was very funny on TV in Boston Legal. That part just fit him so well.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Considering that Leonard Nimoy had to quit making appearances due to declining health caused by COPD, I'm surprised they intend to use him in the next film. I believe it was TMZ or one of those shows which displayed a recent picture of him being pushed in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank. However, I genuinely hope Nimoy can overcome any health obstacles and get back to working in some capacity.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The new Treks are mildly interesting to this Trekker - but I'd much rather see a new series. It's been almost 10 years since Enterprise finished.

Would also like to have seen the Voyager or DS9 cast transferred to the big screen.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Deesky like this.
  17. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

As a Trek fan for life, I am tired of this whole reboot. I would like to see the movies of Star Trek AFTER the adventures (or misadventures) of the Enterprise E. New starships, a new Enterprise with a new crew, and some new aliens.

F_C_FRANKLIN and Andrew like this.
  18. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I wouldn't be opposed to a role reprisal for Shatner in the Star Trek reboot. Perhaps as....

[​IMG]

:D

melstapler likes this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

T.J. Hooker was a great show! They've really missed the boat not having him back for some tv movies or tie-ins with another tv series. Heck, even Mike Connors' Mannix made an appearance in the late 1990s on an episode of Diagnosis Murder!

20. I don't care if Shatner is in it as long as the fate of the universe doesn't come down to two old men having a fistfight like the last Trek movie he was in.

melstapler likes this.
  21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I can almost see and hear it...."Space....the final frontier...." Cue up theme music to TJ Hooker :winkgrin:

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Star Trek 3 Director List Narrows to Five Names

BY SPENCER PERRY ON
    DECEMBER 15, 2014

UPDATE: Make that four names! Following the initial story, Duncan Jones has taken to Twitter to confirm he won’t be directing. “Very flattering being on short list for Star Trek, but won’t be doing it,” he wrote. “Absolutely MUST make my own thing next, or I’ll die of old age!” The original story follows:

Following the departure of Roberto Orci from the director’s chair of Star Trek 3 (or 13 depending on your point of view), the hunt for a new director has already begun and now Deadline reports that Paramount Pictures and J.J. Abrams have narrowed it down to a list of five names. On the list are directors Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes), Morten Tyldum (The ImitationGame[​IMG]), Daniel Espinosa (Safe House), Justin Lin (Fast & Furious), and Duncan Jones (Moon,Warcraft).

Although a release date has not been specified, it is widely believed that the plan is for the film to hit theaters in 2016, as the year marks the 50th anniversary of the “Star Trek” franchise.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana and John Cho are all expected to reprise their roles as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Plot details have not yet been revealed, although Orci stated earlier this year that his plan was to set the action[​IMG] in deep space, unlike the relatively Earth-centric J.J. Abrams films. There is no word currently on whether the film will move forward with the same screenplay scripted by Orci, Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne or seek a new draft.
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/392269-star-trek-3-director-list-narrows-to-five-names

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Justin Lin, director of Fast and Furious 6, has been named the new director of the 3rd Star Trek reboot film. I've never seen any of the Fast and Furious films but assume that they are strictly action films. I'm hoping that Lin can reach outside of this genre and that the next Trek film will not be a Star Trek film in name only.
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...us-6-director-justin-lin-to-helm-star-trek-3/

Deesky likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hear you, but I'm doubtful. He seems to have been handpicked based on his track record (which I also have had no desire to sample). So, not optimistic.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Neither am I. Fast and Furious meets Star Trek? It seems that, as usual, money talks and everything else, quality storytelling and the desire of longtime Star Trek fans, be damned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.