There’s A Part For William Shatner In STAR TREK 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

He can pull off technically impressive action sequences and his films are breathlessly paced, so he fits right in with Paramount's more action-centric take on Star Trek.

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I guess what's really important to the next Trek is what kind of script they come up with. A director is only as good as the material that he/she is given. If the next Trek is an action packed thrill ride, fine, but let's have the action serve a quality story with interesting ideas.

3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It also helps to have someone who 'knows' ST.

Darryl

Encuentro likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Nick Meyer didn't know squat about Star Trek, and The Wrath of Khan is largely regarded as the best Star Trek film to date (except those who place the 2009 film up there too).

Just helpful, definitely not a requirement.

ggergm likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I think it's more important for the script writer to have some knowledge of STAR TREK.

Harry

Encuentro likes this.
  6. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I can imagine, if the net was around in 1981 or whenever Wrath of Khan was being made,the "nerd rage" that would have resulted from all the changes Meyer made to Star Trek and it's universe and the fact he wasn't a trekkie would have been cause for him to be pilloried before the film was even finished. As it stands now, the three films he was involved with (He wrote and directed II and VI and wrote segments of IV)are concidered among the best. It's largely because of his approach that the Star Trek films became essentially action pictures, to Roddenberry's dismay. IMO, the only Trek film to be something akin to Roddenberry's vision of the show was the first one, which was and is visually stunning...but for non trek fans quite boring. Meyer, similar to Abrams, made Trek a little more palitable to the main audience,and the box office showed. However the difference is Meyer clearly made smarter movies from a story/plot stand point.

"knowing Trek" is not a prerequisite for a good Trek film. If so, STAR TREK V (directed by Shatner) and the nearly all the next gen films aside from FIRST CONTACT would have been much better.

I do agree though I hope the new one offers something new. The 2009 was an enjoyable fun popcorn movie,and I quite liked INTO DARKNESS until the third act, where it all went to pot. The cast they have is great and the chemestry is there. All they need is to marry that to a strong story that isn't a rehash of Past Trek glories and we will have a winner

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

100% agree. I was initially going to say that Kirk would never accept Scotty's resignation, but young brash Kirk and Scotty? Anyway, it's all about the script.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. BeatleJWOL

Actually there's a fair amount of opinion columns and such from fan newsletters at the time that show exactly this; some of the paperback "Best Of Trek" compilations show this.

9. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

One of the best things about these last two trek films has been Pegg's Scotty. Unlike some of the other actors, he isn't trying to imitate the original Trek portrayer of his role. His Scotty is completely unique, yet unmistakably Scotty, if that makes sense. The rest I like quite A bit too...aside from the guy that plays Nu-Chekov...just not a fan of his take. Karl Urban is borderline as Bones...sometimes I like him, other times I feel he is doing a poor imitation of Deforest Kelly.

Even though the new Trek movies rebooted the universe, in my mind, the Two Trek Movies represent these characters at the start of their "Five Year Mission" (and INTO DARKNESS ends with them starting said mission...and the Original Series represents those same characters near the end of that time span, with the Movies after following the tail end of their career. That's how I treat it anyhow. They grow from the cock sure youngsters into the experienced family we know them to become.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The 2 I like best from the new movies are Scotty & Bones.
    I can see a correlation between the originals & the new versions of the characters from the new movies.
    And I watch a lot of ST.
    My least watched movie is 'Into Darkness', because if I wanted to see WOK (I would watch WOK).

Darryl

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

12. BeatleJWOL

Is Deadline reliable?

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

It could be a very good thing. The latest update comes from Pegg about the direction he's going in, quote:

“I think we just want to take it forward with the spirit of the TV show (TOS/TNG). And it’s a story about frontierism and adventure and optimism and fun, and that’s where we want to take it, you know. Where no man has gone before – where no one has gone before, sensibly corrected for a slightly more enlightened generation. But yeah, that’s the mood at the moment.”

That's encouraging. but he will need to convince the studio knuckleheads to go along with it.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I read that quote as well, and I agree. It is a positive sign. I remain optimistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.