Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

In Children of the Damned (1964), at the side of the screen one of the mutant children is dead and lying on his back on a table. A fly lands on his finger and he flicks it away with the same finger. (Hey, the actor was just a kid.)

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Unpatched Linux boxes still being used in 183 years time.:)
    At least it wasn't as ludacris as Jeff Goldblum succesfully working out that the alien mothership in Independence Day was controlling all the other ships by triangulation of their countdown clock and then hacking into their network to give their computers a cold.:p

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I guess you didn't see Matrix Revolutions then, where Neo finds out that the Matrix is running off backups. The world Neo woke up in was not 183 years advanced in technology, and would have plenty of unpatched Linux boxen. (You can tell that Firefox was written by a bunch of geeks, as the spell checker is perfectly fine with the word "boxen".)

Maggie and carrolls like this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Never saw that one. Correct.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

The cattle here in Top Secret! don't seem to mind though. :winkgrin:

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Why is it that every time someone is abducted now, there's a hypodermic to the neck?

dbsea and Vidiot like this.
  7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I bet it'll take "lumpen" too.

Yup.

How about lumpenproletariat? Nope.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the real stupid thing is, I think in real life it'd take you a solid 20-25 seconds to collapse. It's always 5 seconds on TV, which ain't gonna happen. It's very hard to hit a vein that precisely when you're sneaking up on somebody from behind. (And trust me, I've tried.)

Just finished working on a small feature where the cops run around with the guns pointed up in the air. I kept my mouth shut but ground my teeth a lot.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

A sudden mobile phone/smartphone ringing while two people are discussing important things for a possible change plot.
    Happens in many films and that annoys me. Change the screenplay gawdammit!

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Old westerns, when they shot someone even though the gun was pointing in a somewhat different direction.lol

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Stunt men and armorers on set always tell actors, "do not point and fire the gun directly at the other person -- aim a little bit away from camera so the blank wadding won't hit them." When they block the scene correctly and put the camera at the right angle, you can't tell they're pointing 3 feet to the left or whatever.

Nowadays, a lot of gun muzzle flashes are all just VFX... and you can make a case that these actually look faker than having guns on the set. But even Quentin Tarantino uses VFX guns these days, because it's so much safer, makes no noise, doesn't require a permit, and is fast and easy to do.

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Good points.

13. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Enough of the Wilheim Scream. At first, it was funny. But now it is an old joke.

Chris DeVoe, Tokyo Ghost and Vidiot like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's TRADITION!

15. Tor33rpm

I hear ya. I turn movie watching into a game. Wilheim Scream or no scream? Heck.....I think we just invented a new drinking game!

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, how about an entire movie based on the guy who did the Wilhelm Scream, and now his family wants a royalty!

Wilhelm scream - Wikipedia

eddiel, MikaelaArsenault and Tor33rpm like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

As character B (often a love interest or junior partner) indulges in some casual chit-chat about nothing important, character A (usually a detective, primary investigator or scientist) has an epiphany and eureka that solves the problem. Just saw this again while watching The Fly (1986) with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.

18. Tor33rpm

Screaming for vengeance?

19. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

You can hear it at 01:22:10 in Hacksaw Ridge. I'm watching it now.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Were you working on a 70's - 80's tribute to cop shows? :)

Wait a minute, what do you mean "I've tried"?! Not sure I'm going to be trusting you until I get an explanation. lol ;)

I was talking with my brother this past weekend about this thread. We felt it would be interesting to see a TV show or movie that followed real life rules. So for example, if they're going to use a hypodermic needle to sedate someone during an abduction they would need to deal with the 20-25 seconds and the whole hitting the vein precisely bit. I'm just not sure if it would make movies/tv shows more interesting because you cant rely on easy fixes as much or if it would me them more boring. But I'd like to find out.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, it was a contemporary presentation for Netflix. By the time I get the stuff, it's already been shot and there's no time to fix it. You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em; it's not my place to suggest a content or story-related problem. I'm there to help with post-production issues.

The two most realistic shows I've seen in recent years that dealt with stuff like this were The Wire and The Americans, and in both sometimes horrible unexpected things would happen, and in other cases they'd actually fail and just move on. The Americans actually had a bit where the wife got punched in the face by somebody in a fight, and she couldn't go to the dentist because he'd know she was in a fight... so she just took some pain pills and pulled out her tooth herself. You never see a show deal with the aftermath of being injured in a fight for several weeks -- they just shrug it off, the bruises are gone the next day, and they move on. Not these shows.

Chris DeVoe, Stormrider77 and eddiel like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

"Ludacris?" Don't think he was in that. Think the word you're looking for is "ludicrous." :D

[​IMG]

eddiel and Rocker like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Here's mine. Very modern shows/movies where they use flip phones instead of the now ubiquitous smartphones.

24. Strat-Mangler

Or every episode of House.

Alan G. likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Ah my own personal spell checker. Good job. Keep it up.