Things Hollywood has been doing wrong for years.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JBStephens, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You gotta eat your spinach before you get to have your ice cream.

Jim B. and Nice Marmot like this.
  2. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Somewhat off topic; but I actually prefer it when errors aren't "fixed" when movies/television shows are released on DVD. I read that the distant and mysterious moving gleam (a car/truck/tractor trailer?) has now been digitally erased from the beginning of Shane (1953). Minor mistakes and incongruities are part of the fun of movies and television shows. They are also a part of the movie 's and tv history. I fear there will be a time when the Twin Towers are erased from the New York City skyline in old movies.

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The Twin Towers being in a movie isn't an error unless it's supposed to be the future beyond 2001.

4. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

When someone falls/is pushed down the stairs, it always seems to mean either instant death or virtually no harm at all. Nothing in-between.

5. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Anyone mention SEQUELS yet:D

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Hollywood keeps putting out home video releases of The Ten Commandments showing the pyramids as already old.

fr in sc likes this.
  7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Related: In the comics The Martian Manhunter wears a semi-sentient symbiotic lifeform that forms his clothing, taking the form he mentally directs (cape, shorts, footwear, and body straps for his "normal" appearance).

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Jim B. likes this.
  8. Solitaire1

I think the sketch involved behind the scenes of a standard kung fu movie where the henchmen are having a meeting before going out to face the hero. They are covering what not to do when facing the hero (such as "don't attack him one at a time").

Vidiot likes this.
  9. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

When I was a kid I read in a Superman comic book that Superman keeps his Clark Kent clothes in a small pouch concealed in his costume so he can quickly change back to his "alter ego" . I wondered where he keeps Kent's shoes.

SomeCallMeTim and fr in sc like this.
  10. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Or if it takes place before 1968-70 when they were built.

11. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Maybe he was like Andy the night before the escape in Shawshank Redemption and just always wore his dress shoes as Superman. "I mean, how often do you really look at a man's shoes?"

geralmar likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You don't want to know! :help:

ParloFax, Vidiot and geralmar like this.
  13. Solitaire1

The clothes are probably stored in his cape (including his shoes). It would probably be a safe place since you don't tug on Superman's cape.:tsk:

geralmar likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wrong ?
    Making good musicals!

15. Making great movies. It seems they happen almost by chance.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

Luckily, I don’t think you’re forced to watch the credits nor is there a test after

EdgardV and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's why I started watching Bollywood movies - they still know how to make musicals.

My favorite musical in several years came and went in a week in a handful of theaters - the Scottish zombie Christmas musical Anna and the Apocalypse.

Some critic did call it "Shawn of the Dead meets La La Land", but that's totally unfair - this film features characters you care about and really great songs, where La La Land had neither of those.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. Not really. The post credit scene was started as a treat for those who sat through the credits AND as an addition to the narrative (almost like a prequel sequence) that's outside of the main story allowing it to continue. I mean, yes, one could look at it that way to keep you in your seats but because it isn't part of the main narrative, it's usually self contained and you don't need to see it to appreciate the next film. The one post-credit sequence that WAS like that was the reveal for "Sharp Objects" on HBO where we are told definitively WHO the killer is (although there were hints in the last couple of episodes).

apesfan likes this.
  19. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Yes! I was just watching Home Alone 2 the other day, and everything that kid did to those 2 guys would have killed them right then and there, but they kept right on going.

EdgardV and dkmonroe like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two comments on this:

1) I agree that there's a line between doing a restoration vs. doing a reconstruction where you start fixing problems relating to content. George Lucas did a lot of the latter; a true restoration just presents the original work as it was in its original release, minus color fading, color problems, rips, tears, jitter, dirt, scratches, and so on. If it's a boom shadow or an obvious wire showing, it's a judgement call as to whether to erase it.

On Disney's HD restoration of The Black Hole, I spoke to restoration head Theo Gluck and asked if they were willing to spend the money to erase all the obvious wires that floated the robots around on the set. They felt that they were always in the movie, plus it'd cost too much to do, so we let those go. But I did fix 90% of the obvious matte problems around certain spaceships and glass windows, which was not that much trouble and didn't cost any extra. I'm thinking I fixed at least 100-150 shots that way.

2) when we worked on Will & Grace and a few other shows set in NY at the end of the 1990s/early 2000s, we did go in and systematically remove any and all shots where the twin towers were visible and replaced them with other shots. I don't see that happening for feature films, but it's kind of a different thing for TV episodes that are seen many times in syndication.

It's almost like it's a cartoonish film not to be taken seriously! :sigh:

ParloFax, EdgardV and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two standard problems I have with movie fight scenes:

1) you have small people (like women who are about 5'2" tall and weigh 110 pounds) who punch the crap out of a villain just once, and the villain goes flying backwards and gets knocked down or out. Unless it's Wonder Woman, the reality is that anybody that small and lightweight will not have the strength to really knock a big 250-pound behemoth down, let alone somebody the size of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who is 6'5" and 260 pounds in real life. This is especially true in boxing.

2) I hate big movie & TV fight scenes where it's obvious that the stuntmen are waiting to hit the hero one at a time, sometimes even waving their arms and dancing around but not taking a swing. In real life, if even three guys come at you from three different directions, you're not going to be able to avoid a hit or getting slammed to the ground. And if it's a dozen guys (as it is on Daredevil and similar shows), there's no way.

Which brings up my third objection:

3) TV shows like Daredevil where if just one of those dozen guys brought a gun -- even a simple gun, like a :38 revolver or a 9mm Glock 19 -- they could kill the hero from 20 feet away. They've established many times that the only superpower Daredevil has is his hearing and "heightened senses" ability, which ain't gonna protect you from bullets. So in every episode, there's a kung-fu match with him and a half-dozen other guys. I'm with Dr. Evil's son, Scott, who kept telling his father, "just shoot him! Don't tell him your plans... shoot him in the back of the head!"

[start it at :52 seconds in if you want to avoid the preamble]

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Old post but... what’s with the music?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they just grabbed some generic music, rather than get sued by the current copyright holders. Turn the sound off if you don't like it -- the point was more that there have always been hundreds and hundreds of people who worked on movies, but they didn't always get named in the credits until the last 40 years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Western movies in which every person carries a new looking Colt 1873 army revolver regardless of the time period. In fact, there were many other gun manufacturers aside from Colt and percussion firearms survived for many years after cartridge revolvers were introduced.

[​IMG]

turnersmemo and Vidiot like this.
  25. Probably already mentioned, but, when there is a family with very distinct accents but one member doesn't have it. Like Melissa McCarthy in The Heat.
    Her family had full on Boston accents but she had nothing. Maybe she couldn't master it? I've seen other movies with the same.

SomeCallMeTim and Pete Puma like this.