Things that happen in the movies, but seldom in real life

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dead of night, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Movies: 'Hyper emotional', way overboard to the max with no bearing on reality. Plastic, make believe, total fiction.

It's all just totally over the top. Total fake excitement, stimulation, & entertainment.

Guess that's what some folks want and need... which is fine I guess. Just take a break and get your head totally 'out of reality' for a couple hours. Amusement.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thunder and lightning occurring simultaneously.

3. They do, if you are in the immediate vicinity of the lightning strike.

carrick doone likes this.
  4. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

You will get shot at by 20 guys with automatic weapons and not a single bullet will hit you.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

When someone draws a samurai sword there is a metal on metal scraping sound as it comes out.

In real life, katana scabbards (saya) are made of wood and horn fittings - there are no metal scraping sounds.

bluesky likes this.
  6. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Crawling through ventilation ducts.

It may be *my* preferred method of going from room to room, but most of my peers seem to use hallways and doors. Bah!

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Musicians in movies who clearly haven't a clue where or how to move their fingers on an instrument. Drives me nuts.

"Live" performance scenes where the music and singing is clearly a well produced studio recording with no live ambience at all.

Not strictly cliches of course but all too common!

LivingForever likes this.
  8. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's been said before that the best drama is simply real life with all the boring parts cut out.

If that happened in any modern action movie, the films would only last 5 minutes. Do you really want to see a 5-minute movie?

10. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Whenever the goody (usually) is stealthily downloading files onto a usb stick from the (baddy's) computer, almost certainly you can hear the sound of approaching footsteps, the approaching noise almost matches the download speed, certainly we get a camera shot of the little download window, the goody's hand is waiting to grab the usb stick, the unbearable tension builds up to the usual climax, baddy opens the door, computer relaxed, no one there, mild movement of the curtains or a door in the background, the baddy is left a tad confused because they are so tuned into their intuitive process, they just know something's amiss but don't know what.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    LivingForever likes this.
  11. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Sound-tracks for my strut:

At least I'm not aware of anyone else hearing the music (but I do!).

12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Babies that are geniuses.

13. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Children or Teenagers in a repressive institution(Orphanage or Magdalene Laundry)staging a big, violent revolt that brings the place to It's knees.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You could do an entire book just on the computer cliches in modern films & TV shows. I still say the worst one is a geek hero who sits down at a keyboard, clicks a few random keys for ten seconds, then says, "I'm in!", having cracked into the FBI, the CIA, the White House, and ten other iron-clad protected government agencies.

I particularly get irked when somebody sneaks into a private office, sticks a thumb drive into a slot, and then copies massive amounts of files in about 30 seconds. Just insane.

Geithals likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

In the movies, a killer/rapist/psychopath/criminal can easily hid in the back seat of someone's car, and the victim will get into the car and not even notice that anyone else is in the vehicle with them.... giving the antagonist plenty of time to strangle the driver or hold a gun to their head, or whatever it is they plan to do.

In real life, it's almost impossible to even walk up to your car and not notice a large shape occupying your back seat, let alone actually getting into the car and still not noticing. :rolleyes:

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Actually those type of scenarios are not that uncommon in real life. After WW2/Korea NATO looked at as many injury and battle reports as possible in order to refine future infantry weapon requirements. Up till then the mantra had always been a large calibre bullet with a two mile effective range. What they found was over 50 meters in a battle situation you were more likely to be hit with a random bullet or shrapnel than you were an actually aimed bullet at you. So the trend after that was for smaller calibre weapons with less range for general troops.

Essentially in high intensity situations you just spray enough lead downrange regardless for the other guy to keep his head down of just run away. Accuracy just leaves the room.

Same with handguns. A mate of mine saw action in the forces and he said that very few people could actually hit another person with a handgun at ranges of 5m+. So bullets flying everywhere is actually fairly authentic.

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh here is one - Sword Fights. Generally swords fights are not about actually clanging your sword into the other guys sword as that kills your wrists and usually will break your sword in about two hits, especially if its a samurai sword.

18. clayton

clayton Senior Member

People getting hit with tremendous punches that would knock you out in real life and they shrug them off like nothing. Die Hard's a good example of this

19. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

LOL...as long as "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" is playing at the same time...

20. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

In movies set ages ago, nobody ever has any vision problems. Now, I'm not up on my history of eyeglasses or lenses, but it seems to me that, in movies set centuries ago, there should be at least a FEW people with vision problems before any sort of corrections were invented? I mean, my wife is legally blind without her glasses, so I can't imagine her living well before eyeglasses were invented.

21. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

There have been a lot of movies set in the Old West where the sheriff has a mano a mano gunfight with the villain on main street at high noon. Last I heard, no historian has ever been able to find such a thing.
    I wonder if the "covered wagons in a circle-Indians-ride-around-in-a-circle-whooping" ever happened. If you know the slightest thing about shooting, you know it's pretty easy to lead your target as soon as you figure its speed. Indians weren't stupid.

The ability of wood and metal to stop high powered military weapons is overdone.

A couple things about World War II movies. Every time you entered a French village, the local teacher that taught English are pretty young women. And I wonder how many German officers spoke English. Although Ernest Junger's memoirs of WWI "Storm of Steel" talks about yelled conversations between the lines with British troops, although Junger says quite often French was used.

Before Kiefer Sutherland miraculously running down suspects in "24", it was fat tub of goo William Conrad in "Cannon"

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

all the fairy tale endings...

23. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

No morning breath.

Alan G. likes this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

No one ever has to go to the bathroom.

25. Silencers that actually silence guns, making them sound like sneezing kittens. In reality, a "silenced" gun will still be at least 100 dB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.