Things We Like by Jack Bruce: Remix on Polygram CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by revolution_vanderbilt, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Jack Bruce's jazz album Things We Like. I have the remaster which is supposed to be the original mix. However, apparently on an early CD, Polygram – 835 244-2, it was remixed. Before I buy a copy, can anyone confirm that the Polygram CD is indeed a remix?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

The remaster from the early 2000s (with the bonus track Aging Jack Bruce) is definitely the same mix as the original LP as I have both - and is very close in quality to the LP.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember in an interview in Musician magazine Jack Bruce said that it was remixed on the original CD to remove limiting on his bass that they had to put in for the LP. I used to have that CD, wish I still did.

4. revolution_vanderbilt

Right. What I want to know is if the Polygram CD, released 1988, is a remix.

5. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

You did write “I have the remaster which is supposed to be the original mix” - which I was just confirming is correct.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I think if they limited the bass sound for the LP, it was done during mastering. So you'd just have to remaster, not remix. Maybe you mis-remember or Jack was misquoted.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It's been a long time since I read that interview.

From Wikipedia (as I mentioned, I don't have the original CD anymore, so I don't know if it's true):

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Thanks for that. So if they did remix it, they did a lot more that fix the sound of Jack's bass.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

I'm someone with the CD can chime in. Copies can be found for cheap, but not quite cheap enough for me to pull the trigger without being sure!

10. revolution_vanderbilt

I finally got this CD. Jack Bruce - Things We Like

First track I compared was the title track and... the drums were still panned left! Oh no!! But going through the other tracks, this certainly is a remix. Most of the tracks drums centered. Guitar and bass have been swapped channels on some tracks. Statues moves the bass from right to left, takes the sax from center to right, and the drums from left to center. The title track is the only one that seems to have the same placement. Just thought I'd update with the confirmation!

11. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

12. donohed

13. donohed

[​IMG]
    36x24 poster WB&L days

lemonade kid and Jonny W like this.
  14. donohed

[​IMG]
    Bottom Line 10-10-88 early show

lemonade kid, nosticker and Jonny W like this.
  15. donohed

16. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Is that Clapton? Did he show up at a Bottom Line gig?

17. donohed

YEAH!!!! it was big news at the time, must have been a thursday night, because i had to get up for work the next day and so only had a ticket for the early show. i had tickets for both shows the next night, had also seen him i think on 10-1 in bayshore, and didnt feel like sitting in the audience waiting for the show to begin, probably didnt have $ for their pizza either, so i went in just a few minutes before the show began : they seated me right center - UP FRONT ! there was a single seat empty, i was by myself, which eended up being right in front of EC and his amp. so during the set i heard people mumbling about EC being there, and i'm thinking yeah right. so the show ends, everyone's applauding, calling for an encore. EC walks through the audience ! everyone was on thier feet, the place was a loud roar, and they played Sunshine, and then a long Spoonful. Pat Thrall was JB's guitarist, he sytayed on, and EC used one of his guitars. about five minutes before they ended i got up and bought a ticket for the late show, thinking he was going to stay, but he didn't. having a ticket for the late show i was able to stay in the place while they cleaned it up for the late show, so i positioned myself right up front. i had a perfect opportunity to get EC's signature, he was talking to someone in the audience area behind me, but i didnt want to lose the seat, stupid. i was one of about 2 people there for the late show !!
    i met and traded the woman who took these pic's and her boyfriend a week later for a copy of her pic's. hard to believe these were the best.... hardly even in the same shot. Jack was better for the late set
    the early set on the next night was the best of any i saw on that run
    having tickets for the late set, i again stayed inside and got the best seat up front. so the late show ends, we're all cheering for an encore. so the band comes back out, and it's great, there's this big fat guy with them, it got quiet, it did not seem like anyone recognized him, but then you hear me saying "THAT'S MICK TAYLOR !!"
    they played Spoonful for like 15 minutes, MT was great. JB hugged him in and said he loved him
    great shows memories

lemonade kid, caravan70 and Jonny W like this.
  18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks for mentioning this album, @revolution_vanderbilt - pulled the remastered CD out and it sounds wonderful. I hope the remix has drums centred, guitars L, Jack R and horns mid L and mid R. That would balance out pretty well. Sadly "Songs For A Tailor" and "Harmony Row" don't sound nearly as good. The performances are too - I haven't listened much to jazz from the UK. I'll cue up "Cities From The Heart" as well today.

19. revolution_vanderbilt

John Buchanan likes this.
  20. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Wow!! I must have seen one of those shows, but Clapton sure wasn't there.

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks - must have skipped that post!

22. revolution_vanderbilt

It happens! Definitely get the remix if you can. I know for me it was nice to hear it differently after having the remaster for some 11 years and dozens of listens.

23. donohed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.