Things We Like by Jack Bruce: Remix on Polygram CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by revolution_vanderbilt, Dec 2, 2017.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love Jack Bruce's jazz album Things We Like. I have the remaster which is supposed to be the original mix. However, apparently on an early CD, Polygram – 835 244-2, it was remixed. Before I buy a copy, can anyone confirm that the Polygram CD is indeed a remix?

2. Adamski777

Adamski777 Active Member

The remaster from the early 2000s (with the bonus track Aging Jack Bruce) is definitely the same mix as the original LP as I have both - and is very close in quality to the LP.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

I remember in an interview in Musician magazine Jack Bruce said that it was remixed on the original CD to remove limiting on his bass that they had to put in for the LP. I used to have that CD, wish I still did.

4. revolution_vanderbilt

Right. What I want to know is if the Polygram CD, released 1988, is a remix.

5. Adamski777

Adamski777 Active Member

You did write “I have the remaster which is supposed to be the original mix” - which I was just confirming is correct.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Forum Resident

I think if they limited the bass sound for the LP, it was done during mastering. So you'd just have to remaster, not remix. Maybe you mis-remember or Jack was misquoted.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

It's been a long time since I read that interview.

From Wikipedia (as I mentioned, I don't have the original CD anymore, so I don't know if it's true):

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Forum Resident

Thanks for that. So if they did remix it, they did a lot more that fix the sound of Jack's bass.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

I'm someone with the CD can chime in. Copies can be found for cheap, but not quite cheap enough for me to pull the trigger without being sure!