Think I may have struck gold

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gibson67, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I was being serious. From the dead wax alone all of them look rough except maybe the Stones titles..but who buys a record without checking the condition anyways? Insane

mooseman likes this.
  2. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Not necessarily...I have bought several G- condition LP's and sold them for some very good money. Depends on the LP in question.

3. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

as long as the OP is happy thats all that matters, I was just shocked is all.

4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Congrats, Gibson! I had a very similar gold strike last week. Keep digging through those crates. :)

Gibson67 likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"G-"? Now that has got to be one hell of a rare album. At least if you have graded it correctly...

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  6. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

sadly I sold a said Beggars last week for 27 quid, nonetheless it should make more than that usually and the determination of the condition of those records based purely on the spindle traces is very dodgy, they do not look in terrible condition to me, and i thought that post was serious also.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

How do they sooooooouuuuuund...?

thats the real test.

Some beat up Parly's can play pretty quiet.

Play em! Get back with is.

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Are You one of these " I'll pay thousands of dollars but only want MINT records" kind of guys? FYI on these 1960s Parlophones grooves cut pretty deep, sometimes record can look horrible but after proper cleaning play VG+. These records fifty years old and obviously were played, but if deadwax doesn't look mint it doesn't automatically mean they in bad shape.
    As for me, if these 1960s records don't have obvious deep scratches and price is right, I usually buy them in any shape. It's a gamble, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You will never know before you buy and clean them.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    jeffd7030, tkl7 and Jimii70 like this.
  9. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Well they were not that common...the last one was Chuck Berry- One dozen Berrys, first pressing. VERY hard to find a Mint copy of this.

10. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Hi all

Being away all weekend so haven't really had time to check out matrix No's etc, or to have a good listen to them. Granted like one fellow member quoted, perhaps I should have checked them out first, if they were priced a lot higher than they were... then yes I would have.

There was also fellow collector breathing down my neck at the time, and had I not grabbed all 4 at once then he would have, the way I see it is at £8 each then a blind buy is worth the risk!

I'm planning on giving them a clean tomorrow so when that's done I'll let all know how they sound. Also I'll do some digging around for those matrix No's

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Of course, I'd have checked the condition but I'd hardly say they look horrible.

tkl7 and Coricama like this.
  12. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride Thread Starter

Hi all

Here are the matrix No,s I promised,

"Revolver" side1 XEX 605.2, side2, XEX 606.1
    "With the Beatles" side1 XEX 447-7N, side2 XEX 448-7N
    "Sgt Peppers" side1 SMA S 1-2653-A1, side2 SMA S 2-2653-B2
    "Beggars Banquet" side1, XZAL-8476-1K, side2 XZAL-8477-1K

Nige

daveidmarx, tkl7 and Robert C like this.
  13. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Robert C likes this.
  15. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

This is example of how quick blind buying a record without checking condition will inflate prices. They just proved that the store can stick any old price tag on the records and some Beatles or Stones fanboy will walk in and buy it for whatever price they put on it no matter the condition. Is there any wonder we have such a bad condition to price ratio these days?! Those of us that actually care about condition are the ones getting screwed.

violetvinyl and mooseman like this.
  16. muffmasterh

Forget what people are saying here your 606-1 means you have done very well.

A poster says they are in terrible condition but how can he tell from the photo's, they have spindle traces but the discs themselves could be fine, how does he know ?? If you buy blind then you have to buy cheap, you bought at the top end of cheap but it was still cheap and you have been rewarded with a result as even if your 606-1 is G- ( and i suspect its better than that ) it would make 50 quid easy so ignore the naysayers on here, i just think they are being nasty to you for nasty's sake...

subzro and jeffd7030 like this.
  17. muffmasterh

really ? oh come on do me a favour, he paid 32 quid for 3 or 4 original UK albums, that's less than ten pounds each, big deal, that's really going to inflate prices for the rest of us woo hoo.....why are some of you guys being so catty to this guy, is it jealousy ??

mradmack, milankey, Revolver and 6 others like this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've had beautiful old records that I had to recycle, and pretty grotty looking ones that cleaned up nicely and are great players. Enjoy your finds. ~

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Really, based on a couple of responses in this thread, you'd think the records are unplayable.

tkl7 likes this.
  20. SomedayMan

SomedayMan Active Member

I have original UK pressings of all three of those and I paid good prices too. No jealously here. I do have a valid point though.

21. muffmasterh

so how can you tell ? I've had loads of clean discs with lots of spindle traces but maybe you have xray eyes and have super human abilities others lack ?? Yes there are lots of spindle traces so it has been well played., but its not certain those discs are trashed not at all........and even if they were its only 32 quid and it seems his gamble paid off with the 606-1 which is 50 quid in good condition. 80-100 in VG..........

22. muffmasterh

mad how can these guys even tell

edenofflowers likes this.
  23. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

There's no way to tell from the pictures provided. In fact, someone mentioned the run-out grooves being rough but they look fine to me.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Some people are just mad. They are 50 year old records. Even if they look rough, they can still sound good.

25. muffmasterh

i understand the logic of what you said but in the real world i do not think it makes any difference, and this instance is a poor example anyway since the op only paid 32 pounds, you may have had more of a point if he had paid 132 pounds but even then if he struck gold with a 606-1 132 could still be a decent price...i wouldn't pay it mind, too much of a risk for not enough reward but 32, hell yes !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.