Think I'm about done buying used records on the net

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by BDC, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

In my experience buying records from Discogs is a total gamble. Over grading is almost guaranteed and many sellers don’t make any attempt to match their record to the specific variation listed on Discogs. I’ve also had a lot of orders canceled by the seller because the record was already sold in their store or on eBay. I’ve tried many times contacting sellers asking them to confirm if their record matches the record in the listing and I almost never hear back from them. One good thing I can say is I’ve never really had a problem with returns which is good because I usually have to buy/return the same record multiple times to get an acceptable copy.

Overall I’ve had better luck on eBay. There’s still the problem of over grading but at least the pictures are of the actual item and there’s no worry of orders being canceled due to the record being sold elsewhere.

What’s really frustrating, and this is beyond the control of the seller, is when a nice record gets damaged during shipping.

Having said all that there are some EXCELLENT sellers out there but just not enough of them.

aroney and Eigenvector like this.
  2. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Add in some of the time going to the UPS store to print a shipping label if the seller provided one, and the time standing in line at my unairconditioned post office. The time you spend cleaning and playing the bad record. It all adds up...
    I don't find one or two labels a week enough to set up and put ink in my personal printer, I go to the UPS store to print labels.

I'd say my return ratio is 20%. I tend to find myself going through this fiasco around once a week.
    Some of my returns have been better experiences than others. The pro's with 10,000 or so in feedback tend to get out labels fast and with no questions asked. Still I find feedback ratio to be almost useless. Some sellers pad their policies to protect against bad feedback. Then once you do settle the matter, you can't leave feedback.... Feedback system is a joke...IMO
    I think I've only ever once bought a record rated VG and it turned out good enough. I bought a bunch that were VG+/NM/Ex.........NM and Ex haven't been consistently better than VG+....
    I've been trying to stay in the NM/EX range hoping for better results....

I look at pictures, but we all know looks of a record don't tell the story. The photos online also don't tell you what holding a record under a lamp will either. I've returned a few records that looked perfect, or looked perfect outside of being too warped to play.

I never really say never, but for now I'm done with it......New only..

I find buy CDs online to be a far better experience.......

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

Noted

4. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

I've probably purchased close to a thousand LP's on line, 99% from eBay over an almost 20 year period. My collection would be missing some hard to find...simply amazing LP"s if not for the auction site. Admittedly, there are times when I need to return 6 out of 10 LP's but there are times when I receive 10 in a row that are truly worth the return rate. I honestly have had better luck with used vinyl....sealed vintage vinyl is always a crap shoot...and new pressings have there issues also...and can be more difficult to return. Also, if your patient, there are much better deals to be had on eBay than at most record stores...this is unfortunate because I love record shops! Anyway, I follow a few guidelines...not always foolproof...but my rate of returns remains manageable when purchasing on eBay:

1. I only search U.S. auctions...I live in the U.S. and returns are usually around $3.00
    2. I look at feedback...if seller doesn't have 100% positive feedback, I move on
    3.If they do have 100%, I look at the other items they are a selling or have sold in the past...if it's not exclusively vinyl sales, I move on. If they grade all of their LP's NM/Mint, I move on...I've seen sellers that sell hundreds of records and every single copy is Mint...possible but highly unlikely.
    4.Then I look at their return policy...if they do not accept returns, I move on
    5.If seller passes all the above, I look at the item. If it is not graded NM or better, I move on. Most sellers have a tendency to over grade...when bidding only on NM/MINT LP's your chances of receiving a nice LP are greater...and if it is not in the condition stated I believe the return process can be easier....the whole VG-/VG/VG+/VG++ grading is too subjective.
    6. Next, I look at the photo's. Make sure the description is correct. If the sleeve is graded NM and has visible damage, I move on. If the seller can't grade the cover correctly I can't trust their vinyl grade
    7. I then check shipping fee and return details..just to be on the safe side, make sure shipping fee isn't inflated and that the seller will refund without a stocking fee
    8. If I have any doubts...I ask questions. This is the stock question I ask if I'm not 100% positive about bidding:
    "Hello. I am interested in your--------LP. Could you please tell me if the vinyl has been play graded or visually graded only? If not play graded, could you please tell me if the vinyl has any visible marks, scuffs or scratches when held at an angle beneath a bright light source? Thanks for your time and good luck"
    9. If an auction passes all the above criteria I move it to my saved auctions and plan on bidding, if the high bid remains reasonable... I only bid within the last 10 seconds of the auction...with the highest bid amount I'm willing to pay for the item
    9. If I lose....no big deal...I've learned over the years that it may take some time but another copy will eventually come up for auction.
    10. And if I do need to return...I remain calm and contact the seller...making sure my communications are thorough.

Hope this helps...and good luck!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I know I'm canceling my date with the OP. I can't afford him. ;)

Gaslight likes this.
  6. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Saw a Mint the other day, described as only played once.

I've not had any hassle so far buying on Ebay, or Discogs come to that. I buy a lot new and the second hand only if there are decent pictures. The only one I can remember not being as advertised was an original 'Queen II' which turned out to be a later pressing.

7. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I've had more "pleasantly surprised" experiences on ebay than disappointments. And I try to remember to favorite the sellers I have a good experience with. The disappointments by and large have come from people that don't really know what they have or how to grade it. "This record looks unplayed" Well, yeah, maybe in dull lighting. Looks like it was used as a dartboard to me. Also, if someone appears to be hard selling in the listing (VG++++++++++), I don't bother and move on. I thing with a minimum of due diligence, one can properly assess the risk being taken vs. the price offered and act accordingly.

Kicker55 likes this.
  8. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I've had terrible experiences at Discogs, especially with UK sellers wildly overgrading their records and then calling me a liar when I complain. I'm done.

I'm also done buying used online as well, way too much of hassle and rarely do I get what is advertised.

Luckily I got back into vinyl before its resurgence and was able to pick up of ton of quality used vinyl for great prices.

Now, most used LP's are overpriced or overgraded and not worth the effort.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I just checked my account: 89 purchases over the past four years, with four returns. I'd say that's a pretty decent yield. It may be a tremendous run of good luck, or more likely a result of adhering to the following rules:
    • Only buy from US sellers
    • Never buy from a seller with less than a 4½ star rating
    • Never buy anything rated less than VG+ (and VG+ only if the seller has a solid 5 star rating)
    I've found that the difference between a 5 star seller and a 4½ star seller is quite significant.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Another important rule is to resist wishful thinking based on desire.

You may really really want that Canadian Beatlemania! With The Beatles with the extra wide stereo - so much so that you're hoping that 4½ star seller's overpriced VG+ copy will be good enough. But it never will. Learn to recognize the red flags and you won't end up bitter and disappointed.

Or just be done with buying online and leave the treasures for the rest of us. :winkgrin:

Tullman likes this.
  11. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Should an ebay seller explicitly state that an album is a cutout? I just received a record where the seller described the cover as Excellent but now says I should have seen that it was a cutout from the picture. Personally, I don't think an album with a saw cut is Excellent. He will take it back but I'm out two way shipping.

12. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

I always specifically note cut-out, saw cut, promo stamp, etc. on cover grades, it's pretty easy to do and a lot of records are like that. If a seller isn't specifying that they're lazy or trying to be less transparent about the item condition.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

Thanks. That seems like a good practice to me. I offered to keep it at a lower price but he declined. Back it goes. I'm out $10 but he's no better off for it.

14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

You need to inspect photos with a microscope and while you probably should have noticed it, decent sellers will describe it.
    You can't describe a cover as excellent having a cut out and if you do it should be specified on the description. Report it to ebay as item not as described, you definitely should not be out of two way shipping, may be one way but not two, once everything (not before) is completely finished leave appropriate feedback.

Dave likes this.
  15. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

Exactly. With some inexperienced sellers, there is some risk-taking involved. They may not know how to grade, but they also may not appreciate what they “have.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.