Thinking About Harry Nilsson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Criminally under-rated album.

Another example of a Harry album that is screaming for audiophile treatment.

:sigh:

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Not quite perfection, because the one I obtained is even better. I compared the two. The best-mastered version is:

A Little Touch of Schmilsson In The Night & More (all 19 tracks)

EU Pressing CD
    Cat. No. 74321950272
    copyright 2002 BMG/RCA/Camden UK and Ireland

I also found an audiophile magazine review which came to the same conclusion I did - sweeter, silkier, better soundstaging, etc.

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Would that be this release?

--Geoff

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Looks like it might be the one, going by release date and label. However, the proof is probably in the catalog number, which isn't listed by Amazon. Nice that it's available at this low price, though. My copy doesn't say Camden International on the label, only Camden. It has that bright orange RCA label and big RCA typeface logo at the top, just like the old LPs used to have. In addition, there is a small Camden logo and a small BMG logo at the bottom of the disc label on my copy.

It's possible that this is a reissue of the one I have and would likely sport the same mastering then. Or it may be identical to the one I have, although mine didn't come with the advertised (in this ad) slip case, only a standard jewel-case and booklet. Worth a try, I think, especially at this nice price.

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Thanks for the info on the 2002 Camden.

Although now I see a 5CD box set and I'm wondering which version of "A Little Touch ..." is included. According to discogs it has 18 tracks (unlike the 19 of the 2002 Camden) so more digging is required ...

--Geoff

6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The DVD "Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?" will tell you all you need to know about Harry.

Great singer. A kind of genius actually. Tragic story.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Where's that nice big box set! :D

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:righton:

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

:cheers:

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Yes! it is long overdue.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I like the documentary quite a lot, but I would love to know more about Nilsson. That's why someone needs to write a book. It'd be great to get some quotes in there like how he came up with the concept of the Point and how he got the idea passed to go on network television. I'd like to know more about his associations with other people. The documentary does not once mention George Tipton who arranged nearly everything for him up to Nilsson working with Richard Perry. So no, the doc is not everything you need to know... but it's a good entertaining place to start.

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This came up in another thread with no answer, so I'm reposting here, looking for just the right Nilsson Nut who might know the answer:

It's at 12:30 in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIeSiNolOcQ

Thanks,
    Matt

13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Bump for the festering question above. ^^^^^^^

Matt

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'd email the guy who runs the For the Love of Harry website:

http://fortheloveofharry.blogspot.com/

There's a CONTACT button in the righthand column underneath "Comments."

15. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Harry

Here is a link to the Eric Idle song "Harry" if you haven't heard it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzYEWnetEig

I have listen to Nilsson since I can remember. The first album I bought was "Nilsson Sings Newman" and I still think it is his best album, short but very sweet, just little art songs that go for the jugular. I think the break in Cowboy was one of the most beautiful things I had ever heard, very simple, but would break your heart. Same goes for all of ***** Cats, reminds me of what someone said about Quadrophenia, smart enough to know they were going over the edge but to sensative to do anything about it. ***** Cats, at least to me, doesn't quite work, but it has it moments, "Many Rivers to Cross", "Don't Foget Me", "Mucho Mungo", and "Black Sails", though I could not stand to listen to "Loop De Loop" and "Rock Around the Clock", seemed like a waste of tape and talent. If you haven't ever heard "Nilsson Sings Newman" it is worth checking out, and the newer edition has "Snow" on it that Nilsson sings a lot better than Claudine (who reminds me of Elmer Fudd).
    Of course if you are going to buy one album (besides a greatest hits) then "Nilsson Schmilsson" would be the one (though I listen to "Nilsson sings Newman" tens time as much). Some of the early albums are good as well, I also like "Pandemonium Shadow Show", "Aerial Ballet" or "The Point". Of the later albums I never liked them as much. "Personal Best" does have the theme song (or a version of it) from the Courtship of Eddie's Father.

16. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I was thinking about Nilsson and wondering if the UK vinyl for Nilsson Schmilsson is any good... Does anybody have any information about Nilsson's records made in the UK? Thanks!

17. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Bump, anybody?? Or maybe later reissues? Are there other vinyl alternatives than first US pressings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.