Thinking of doing a cartridge switch out .. thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeJedi, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sorry meant AS - anti skate. I'm not sure what you mean by the cantilever moving up and down - you make it seem like it is bobbing like crazy. I'd expect that if the record is warped - but if the record is nice and flat - it should be fairly stable. If the record is flat and the cart is bobbing like crazy - then it would have to be your alignment that is off - causing it to endow (or something) over and over. All that I can think of.

MikeJedi likes this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Try loading the Denon at 1K

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Let's start at the beginning...

Did you use the Technics tool for alignment?
    Did you properly calibrate the weight before setting the tracking force?
    Did you set the vertical tracking angle (arm height) correctly?

MikeJedi likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help Seems to be working fine now the arm and cart are moving normally Set AS to 1.5 and VTA at 2.3 and VTF at 1.5 It's running a little low to the record on the thicker 180g LPs but it sounds amazing now and it's not even broken in yet!!!!! Great match with my tubed phono from what I am hearing so far Had to tweak some stuff He'll yeah !!!! ;) my 45 of MFSL KOB has never sounded so good !! Wowza !!! I mean I know it's already great with my old Denon dl110 but this cart is a much better match to the Vincent tubed stage !!

5. MikeJedi

riding a little low still at VTA I had it at .. Moved it to 4 , still low but not as low as before Still sounds great I guess sometimes these at440 carts can ride a little lower hadn't noticed the last time on my old 440 mla I had .. Interesting .. The bass is nice and full and Mids and highs nicely balanced

6. MikeJedi

My Eagles LP box set has never sounded this good !! ;) wow !! I think I may have hit a sweet spot here .. ;) even my old 80s Steve Winwood LPs have new life too.. And I have a lot more break in time too for the cartridge !

7. MikeJedi

Still riding somewhat low even tho it sounds nice I have done more research and from what I understand it should not be riding this low on a new cart I need to get it so it just sits nicely in the groove and still sounds just as good ... I want this cartridge to last me ! Here we go again !! Lol it's tricky

8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

How long you had the preamp? You do know they have come out with the 701 which has dip switches? And from what I've heard, you can roll the tube.

9. MikeJedi

Ya the 701 is out and I have had the 700 for about a year so unless audio advisor lets me do a straight trade in (I heavily doubt ) I am sol :(

10. MikeJedi

OK fiddled with the back weight a bit and moved the VTA to 1 and left the VTF and AS at 1.5 and now it's no longer Low riding .. It's just about perfect on the record and moving nicely Sounds great ! I don't know what happened and why it took me so long to get the right balance but I guess that happens sometimes with these set ups !

I must say this AT440mlb is a wonderful match to a tubed phono stage ... With my Vincent PHO 700 it blows away any of my previous setups ! And this cart still has way more break in !!! Wowza! It beat the pants off my Dl110 with the same stage ! Will keep the 11o in reserve for a future setup!

11. MikeJedi

OK still breaking in my AT still sounds good but somewhat shrill .. Going to order a Ortofon 2M Blue to compare .. Wth might as well try some different carts (within reason ) lol!!

12. MikeJedi

Well .. I think I found the sweet spot Ortofon 2m blue kills the at440 mlb more balanced while still having the detailed highs and more output than the Denon 110 .. Wonderful match with my Vincent pho 700 wow!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.