Thinking of upping the ante on CD playback (LM 515)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dnuggett, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Currently when I sit down for a focused listening session I find myself going to vinyl then SACD, then digital files and rarely DVD-A. I don't have a reason for this other than that's where my subconscious takes me almost every time.

That said I think if I change things up a bit on my source, I may get a different result. Currently I am using an Oppo BDP-105D for disc playback connected to a Chord Hugo to convert to analog then to my preamp and amp.

I am thinking of a getting a LineMagnetic 515 as it is about the top of what I'd spend for a CD player. What I can't quite get a handle on is if the 515 is really going to best the Oppo/Hugo combination seeing as the Hugo is one of the better DACs available. I know the 515 is uses tubes to get to analog. I don't have an LM dealer close so I can't do an A/B comparison. I also just started my search so if there is another CD player that rivals the LM 515, please feel free to share it.

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Have you thought about moding your Oppo and selling the Hugo? I was kind of in your position a little over a year ago.i had a modded Esoteric DV-60 that had at lest 3k worth of mods done to it from RAM of California (since out of business).Loved the sound and had if for over 6 years until the transport went.had the transport repaired by a local shop and it cost me big $$ and it broke about 3 months later.Got the Oppo and while the DAC was definately better in it the Esoteric was much more musical.Was thinking if adding a much touted NAD DAC but didn't for cost and shelf space etc.Then seen where Ric Shultz of EVS was offering a mod to the output stage (JFET)only where I could send him the board for $700.Had it done and am very happy with it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Have you heard the LM 515?

4. dnuggett

Won't sell the Hugo... it's a part of my mobile rig and will remain a part of my listening room as a DAC for digital files, even if I go a different way for CD playback.

5. dnuggett

No, only read impressions. So I suppose I'm asking the question about what rivals it in the context of one's opinion.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You've got more options than at any time ever before. When did the LM 515 come to market and how much can you get one for today?

Why not have your Oppo's analog stage modded?

Try to borrow an Ayre c5XE just to get an idea of what digital can sound like.

7. dnuggett

I believe it came out around 2 years ago, but not certain. Someone will come along and give soe mroe details I'm sure. The prices I have seen are in the $2300 range. I have a note out to the Texas dealer, just waiting for a reply.

Modding the Oppo is an option, but to be honest I'd rather get a dedicated unit. I'm not certain how I'd borrow a C5XE, I don't know anyone with one. I'm also not sure what they go for used.. but the MSRP back in the day is more than twice the 515 and over the ceiling of what I want to spend. If I end up loving it, I won't be getting one anyway.

8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

This is just my opinion. I'd try to find out what type of laser head it uses. A lot of Chinese cd player manufacturers use dvd laser heads and they burn out rather quickly. I don't know what laser head LM uses. The player certainly looks great but I'd wait until someone here has had one for a few years to see if they hold up. I hope they do, I'm not trying to poop on the party, but I've found Chinese made audio appliances with moving parts tend to die much sooner than Japanese stuff. Yes, Japanese stuff is made in China but they tend to have Japanese QC. Chinese companies have Chinese QC only.

BTW, I have a LM KT88 amp and I love it, but it has no moving parts.

ALSO Happy Lunar (Chinese) New Year! Year of the Sheep in China.

9. I have the LM 515. It's pretty awesome, but honestly I didn't spend a lot of time auditioning other CD players. I think it's a no-brainer product if budget allows.

But... if you haven't invested in acoustic treatments and can get your Oppo modded for cheap, I'd be inclined to go that route and spend what you save at GIK Acoustics. Every cent I've ever spent on acoustic treatments has paid off 10x and there's no guessing as to whether there's any improvement.

10. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Could you post a picture of the inside? I'd like to see.

11. dnuggett

I have my room treated with GIK. Totally agree.

jh901 likes this.
  12. dnuggett

Yep my budget for a CD source is right where it's MSRP is. Can you expand on what you like and what you dislike about it? What was your CD source before, and how does the 515 compare?

13. triple

triple Senior Member

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Gotta be an Ayre dealer in DFW. The point isn't to spend way beyond budget but to gain experience with a benchmark hi end player at under $10k.

There aren't many Sacd players at any given price point. How much is the full Modwright treatment for the Oppo?

15. dnuggett

About the same as the LM515.

16. dnuggett

That's precisely the point of this thread. The unit you linked to is over the budget.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  17. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

You do realize the Ayre 5 has been discontinued, unfortunately? I was wanting to check it out as well and just as the time came they dropped it. Only the 7 remains.

jh901 likes this.
  18. I forget what I had immediately before the LM 515. I can look when I get home. I bought it used for like $300. It was plenty good.

It is hard for me to review the 515 since I added it at the same time I purchased new speakers. Hard to say what is the speaker and what was the CD player. Also, I primarily listen to vinyl and really only used the 515 to warm up my system with a CD while I was doing something else or for background music streaming Rdio. I had the 515 for a few months until circumstances forced me to use it as my only source for the last 10 days.

I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the 515 has been. It doesn't sound digital at all (whatever that means). It has the same sparkle and bloom that I was hearing with my analog system, maybe even a touch more since I also added some additional acoustic room treatments right before I had to start using the LM 515 exclusively.

I wish I could give you a better idea about how the 515 sounds independently, but I've only heard it in my own system. I'm not familiar with your components, but I see you like tubes. All I can say is that you don't have to worry about the 515 being too much of a good thing. If you like tubes, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how much this thing rocks and sparkles.

You can probably spend a month auditioning CD players. Personally I'd have no qualms about buying the 515 without an audition. In fact, I did buy it without an audition. If you were local to me, I'd let you have a listen for sure. :)

19. Then you are good to go! Man, I just cannot believe how good the sound gets when I add treatments. Just curious... what all are you using and where all have you treated?

I was more shocked when I finally treated the front wall between my speakers, something GIK didn't stress when I first bought treatments. Between the speakers is #1 priority from what I've found.

20. dnuggett

That's exactly what I am looking for. For CD the Oppo alone didn't do it at all for me. Adding the Hugo made it much much better.. now I'm looking for the next step. From what you have said, I think the 515 may be it. Only thing left is to see what else is out there in the same price range that can compete.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Is there anywhere to buy Line Magnetic online?

22. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Give Pitch Perfect Audio in LA. I know it's not close to you, but you could probably buy gear over the phone. They're the only LM dealer in CA that I know of.

23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

24. Don't waste your time or mental energy. The 515 is plenty good. For the price, it's ridiculously good.

bhazen likes this.
  25. dnuggett

Thanks Brian. Traded email with the TX dealer tonight, we'll see where it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.